1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Blackpool - Tuesday 12th February - KO 19:45

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Feb 10, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Feb 12, 2019.
  1. Home win

76.2%
  2. Away win

9.5%
  3. Draw

14.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Blackpool in League One
    SAFCvBFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland drew with Oxford and Blackpool beat Walsall.
    Sunderland face Blackpool in the first of three consecutive home games spread over seven days, and with Luton and Barnsley in a good run of form the Black Cats need maximum points to stay in contention for an automatic promotion place.

Jack Ross:
    “I get slightly irritated with this fascination with my goalkeeper making saves. Any time we don’t win, it’s deemed as not good enough,”
    “The reality is that away games are tough, Oxford didn’t make it easy today, but the only way that the point becomes of any benefit is if you win those home games."
    “They’re not season-defining, but they are vitally important. It’s my job to make sure I pick the players up again. We’ve got a huge seven days from Tuesday, three games at home, it’s massive for us."
    “There’s no point disguising that. If we win, we’re in an OK position. If not, we deserve a bit of criticism.”

Terry McPhillips:
    “After the Accrington game was postponed last week, I went to Fleetwood to watch Charlton ahead of what is a big week for us; Walsall at home then Sunderland and Charlton away."
    “This first game is a big chance for us to start the week well and then hopefully we can back it up on Tuesday-Saturday. The last time we played at home we drew 2-2 against Wycombe."
    “We saw some lads go and we wish them all the best, but the new lads that have come in are youthful and exciting and I’m really hoping that they add some goals to us.”

Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    CARL BOYESON
    Assistant Referees: David Avent and Geoffrey Liddle
    Fourth Official: Peter Wright

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    McLaughlan, Matthews, Flanagan, Baldwin, Oviedo, Leadbitter, O’Nien, Morgan, Grigg, Sterling, McGeady
    Team.gif
    Subs:
    Ruiter, Honeyman, Dunne, Watmore, Wyke, Power, Maguire
    Injured: Love, Loovens, Cattermole

Blackpool: (4-3-3) Howard, Daniels, Heneghan, Tilt, Bola, Pritchart, Thompson, Turton, Delfouneso, Gnanduillet, Long
    Subs: Mafoumbi, Shaw, Sorenson, Kirbu, Virtue-Thick, Dodoo, Evans

Betting Odds:
    H
    8/13 A 7/2 D 3/1

My two pence:
    With some fans already questioning Jack Ross’s ability to get us out of this league at the first attempt we need to start winning games and build up momentum towards the run in.
    Jack needs to setup the team to attack and create more chances, our shooting stats have been way below par lately.
    Blackpool were no pushovers at their place and they will put up a decent fight as recent results have shown.

My guess is a 2-1 win.

Ha’way the Lads
    <rose>

2. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Fancy us to break our one goal a game hoodoo with a 3-1 win

Gil T Azell likes this.
  3. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Don't understand some of the negativity I see on the board. After the last few years it's nice going into games thinking we can get a result. Just because we have three home games on the bounce doesn't mean it's easy to get nine points but hopefully we will do well. The next few games should set us up for momentum to make our mark to get into the top two. If that doesn't happen we just push on getting whatever we can out of the games. The term over here for people watching games is an "armchair quarterback" referring to watching American Football in which hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let's give JR our total support till the end of the season in the decisions he makes. JR and the board have got us off the floor and back in the right direction again. Some of the recent statements from ex players about the club have been mind blowing to be honest. We have good lads in place now....let's give them the opportunity to do their difficult jobs without some of the negative criticism. Not into if your auntie had balls she would be your uncle type of thing......needless. Me for this game....4 - 1 win to us.........haway the lads!!!!!

4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

We need to start scoring more than one goal a game so why not start on Tuesday.
    At the start of the season we were shipping goals in the first 15 minutes now we're losing them in the last ten minutes.
    Jack solved our earlier problem and I've every faith in him solving this one.
    Blackpool won't lie down for us, in fact no one has to be honest but think this could be the time for 2 or 3 goals with a clean sheet thrown in.

Dorset, Gil T Azell, Nads and 2 others like this.
  5. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I think we only need a tweak to turn draws into wins because we are scoring and not really conceding. If Ross can work out a way to get one more attacking player on the pitch or have a more aggressive strategy it might tip the balance and yield another goal or two.

One basic thing I don't think we do as well as pretty much anyone else we've played against is workrate and pressing. Everyone seems to play against us like it's their cup final, well it's about time we stopped being surprised by it and matched them from the start.

6. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

3 home games in 8 days sounds good, but there is one concern. If things don't go well in the first, and the boo boys start up, there's not sufficient a break to get it out of their system, and they'll carry the atmosphere to the first ball kicked of the next games. The crowd needs to recognise the opportunity of this situation as much as the team

7. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

92-96 points needed to go up now ! we have 51 to play for so 35-39 points needed ! 12 wins 3 draws 2 defeats it is possible. 8 at home 4 away maybe. Luton on their best run 19 undefeated in their history, and Barnsley rolling teams at the minute, just our luck.

8. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

The team has been announced for tomorrow night's game.

please log in to view this image

9. jdsafc

jdsafc Well-Known Member

Time to dig one out for the boo boys

Home win. Don't care what the score is so long as we score more than them

10. Saf

RTB likes this.

11. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

A must win game I feel!!!! And we will but only 1-0, and a nervy perforamance again.

Bart

RTB likes this.
  12. Saf

I've just seen @The Relic pop up on another site. I wonder if he still pops in here from time to time.

13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

We will win.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

AYE Nads still pops on now and again......<laugh><laugh><laugh>

15. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I agree with Nads.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Surely Dunne needs to be in that team doesn't he ? Great looking team though.

17. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

I honestly haven't a clue what's going to happen any more, but if I say 1-1 I won't be far wrong the way we're going! Should beat these buggers again though. The older farts like me will remember MOTD from '75 or '76 when they beat us 3-2 with the goal of the season. Tangerine twats...

RTB likes this.
  18. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I remember that game - they showed that goal for years afterwards just to rub it in.

Also the one when they were in the Premier (2010) - where we had about 35 shots and they had about 2 :emoticon-0121-angry

19. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Still hurts, RTB. Still hurts... <wah>

20. The Little General

The Little General Well-Known Member

Lord Rowell is advocating for us 2 go up top in the Sunderland Echo tonight with JR's 2 marquee signings Wyce and Grigg feeding off each other, surely in light of recent results he'll go with these two tomorrow. I can only agree with Rowell, he talks sense.