1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland Air Show Kaput

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Draig, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Sunderpitt and Makemstine Roger like this.
  2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

****ing ****ers and china opening 15 new coal fired stations, that are miles behind the ones Britain had ready to go

Draig and Nig like this.
  3. Deleted Member

Deleted Member Well-Known Member

Due to the fact they can't afford it more like imo

4. Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce Member

A few airplanes split between half a million visitors is not a lot of carbon per head. It looks like they were looking for an excuse

Draig, young2077 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  5. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

The RAF don’t hand out brown envelopes - that is all

6. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Disappointed with this. And their reasoning is ****ing laughable

7. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

They could start by reducing the amount of hot air, (for those Council Members not scientifically minded that means CO2).
    generated in The Council Chambers.

Sunderland plays second fiddle to Newcastle, in The Northeast, in almost every department.
    The Air Show was an outstanding exception to this.
    The idea that holding a Triathlon Championship will be of comparable interest to the Northeast population, just shows how far from reality these people get once they get a bit of authority.
    As for encouraging the population to get more active, there is a run from Newcastle to South Shields that has been held for over forty years, been a massive success, Worldwide, and does this very well already.

No doubt the Traders, such as remain, on The Seafront, will find their rates being massively reduced, now that The Council has taken away their best paying weekend of the Year.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    John Wick, Draig, Nig and 2 others like this.
  8. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Wonder just how many residents have asked for alterative events? In the meantime, perhaps the council and locals can do without my ''day out seaside dollar'' as I would have to burn my petrol to come. I can just as easily go to Whitley Bay

Draig and Makemstine Roger like this.
  9. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

A good example of the stupidity, lazy group thinking, and child like virtue signalling that pervades instructions everywhere.

Utterly pathetic, sadly predictable and absolutely damming. Amateurs pretending to be professional.

10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

was it the biggest 'free to attend' event in europe?

think the clue is in 'free to attend', had they made it an all ticket do i am sure the carbon footprint would not be such an issue...yet another decision to hit the local traders hard.

11. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

I remember being a member at Houghton Golf Club and during the air show, we got a got a great view of all the aircraft coming up from Teesside airport

12. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Labour has controlled the council since i can remember, and have buggered up decisions, every year, its about time they started asking residents by an online poll than using their own thinking power as its never worked in the past

13. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Climate change my arse.

robinoz, Draig and Makemstine Roger like this.
  14. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

Is this an admission that your farting methane is to blame????:emoticon-0172-mooni:emoticon-0172-mooni:emoticon-0172-mooni

Draig and The Exile II like this.
  15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

The Air Show has been going downhill for years, the number of visitors from outside the area reduced when the parking restrictions were introduced, perhaps making it a 5 year event might be an answer . The reasons given are poor, as are the current illuminations , restricted to the Park only, and very little to see compared to earlier years, I read the Model Railway in the park is also struggling, the decline started a few years back when the pond was so neglected the Model Boat Club relocated. to Herrington. The Ravine Bridge and Bandstand have been cordened off for years. The Roker promenade was laid out beautifully a few years back with EU ? grants , then totally neglected. Sad to say South Shields has always had the edge in maintaining standards and putting on events. The council has always been a disgrace, the Drop In covid vaccination fiasco being the most recent example of total incompetence.

John Wick likes this.
  16. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Sugar free polos have contributed more to global warming than an average airshow ;)

Draig likes this.
  17. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

A 5-yearly cycle of big events would be an excellent idea but can we come up with 5 big events that would work at the sea front and that people would want to see?

The tall ships only work there on leaving day and I think they wouldn't be able to visit here that regularly.

I can only think of the Airshow and a firework display competition,

18. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Got to pay the massive loan they took out to build City Hall somehow I suppose. Getting rid of an institution like the Sunderland airshow man.

Draig likes this.
  19. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Good post

20. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I dont live in Sunderland so no idea how good the airshow is anymore. Loved the illuminations as a bairn. This cancellation of community events across the country though is a real bloody shame. I actually think it is more down to a national lazyness that has crept in. These events require volunteers, and I think the concept of giving your time for nothing is becoming a bit alien. I have coached football for years, never asked for a penny, in fact I have probably spent a few grand on helping kids to play. I asked a couple of younger lads if they wanted to get into coaching with me, as I am getting no younger and I would like my soccer school to continue. They asked how much! Lockdown has only madr people lazier I think.

Where I live there has been a raft of cancellations, with a variety of reasons. The reasons never stack up. But this one about global warming is about as daft as I can remember. Somebody needs to be asked to show the numbers. Probably more scared of some idiot protest group showing up. Do not get me started on the maths behind scaling back global warming, pissing about with easy targets is not enough. There is much more value in bringing communities together, and rebuilding our sense of community, for something like an airshow, than worrying about the minor impact of the aeroplanes. Completely unintelligent from idiots.

rooch 3 and John Wick like this.