1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v Wigan Athletic FC – Saturday 15th October 2022 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 12, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Oct 15, 2022.
  1. Home win

58.3%
  2. Away win

18.3%
  3. Draw

23.3%
  1. safcfansofaraway

safcfansofaraway Well-Known Member

Personally, I think he deserves a lot more praise than he gets. He put in a great defensive performance on Saturday, battled hard with their big forwards, never shirks a challenge, made some great forward passes to speed up our attacking play. Everyone makes mistakes, he went on a great run at one point but held the ball too long only to be tackled from behind. He's also constantly praising his team mates and pushing them on, with a really infectious enthusiasm, and I just love that he loves a crunching tackle, don't we all?

2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Dismissing the balaclava photo as a bit of a joke shows how disturbed the man is ...

... a balaclava is an internationally known symbol of hatred and prejudice.

There are many ex-servicemen, and their families, in Sunderland and I can understand if people like them are aggrieved at McClean and wish to make their feelings clear.

3. malagamackem

malagamackem Well-Known Member

Thick twat can't even spell

C Montgomery Burns and vic9 like this.
  4. Smug in Boots

Or use grammar correctly, yet calls people uneducated.

5. malagamackem

That was me Marcus, (ICBA) it wasn't just the last game and I am a big fan of Luke. I think the effort and heart and soul he puts into the games are admirable, and that he certainly does have a positive contribution on most areas of the pitch. My point was simply that over the last few games, including the own goal, is that a lot of the goals conceded have been deflections from O'Nien, meaning that either a) opposing teams have identified our right side as a defensive weakness and exploit it; b) Lukes positional play when there is an attack needs some work; c) he is dreadfully unlucky; d) he doesn't get enough support from his midfield back up and is left to deal with too. much; e) He is always there trying to defend so that the law of averages catches up and he will appear in deflections as no-on else of the defence puts themselves about, or f) I talk bollocks and am not entitled to either an opinion or observation.

Just saying, but suggest you watch the highlights and / or replays of the last 5 matches and see if you can spot a training need there

6. Montysoptician

Montysoptician Well-Known Member

Social Services should be involved with that photo, he claims it was a joke but children don't deserve to be subject to the hatred that it instils in them.
    I am of Irish Catholic descent and my great grandparents were displaced during the great starvation so I don't like the sectarian chants, but McLean brings it on himself and goads people to respond,

I remember this day in particular, the response of the Sunderland players and Tony Pullis say a lot about his actions.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    malagamackem, Smug in Boots and vic9 like this.
  7. malagamackem

As a former serving soldier in NI, James McLean disgusts me. He is scum. I agree that each and everyone of us are entitled to our own beliefs (whether they be political, religious, sexual, or other) and that others may disagree, but that individual is abhorrent and I hope his next shyte is a hedgehog. I would love to meet him in a dark alley with no witnesses. And, Mr Bigot McLean, ar*ehole, if you want to pm message me you Gobsh*te , please do

8. Tongester55

Tongester55 Well-Known Member

Personally I think he would tell Spurs to do one if he thought that isvwhat they had in mind. He came to get away from them for a fresh start and to play regularly, which he is doing here. He seems to love it here and comes across as a very level headed young man that will not rush to leave to potentially put him back to a bit part player.
    However, I agree with you that he is a fantastic player and is destined for big things.

9. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Not sure what McLean expects. He continually disrespects the hand that feeds him, but expects no-one to complain.

I'm not a fan of the anti-IRA chants, I don't see what purpose they serve, but were there any that were calling him a name, or suggesting he had done something? He talks of being a victim of sectarian abuse, yet I didn't hear anything personal.

FWIW I'd rather wish our supporters just ignored his presence. He's a prick, but don't give him the oxygen

10. Smug in Boots

He's like the typical forum Wum of the type we get on here ...

... act up to draw a response, get that response then complain about the response and play the victim.

He knows exactly what he's doing an it's quite pathetic.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022

11. Tongester55

Tongester55 Well-Known Member

He also says that he'd had abuse thrown at him for the 8 years previous to this yet didn't think that it was a bad idea to do it. Along with his protests of poppy wearing etc he has set himself up.
    Then to compare himself to SNQ because he comes from the same country...... does that make all Germans bad because of Hitler?
    I didn't sing any song or call him names on Saturday because I didn't want to waste my breath on him.

12. dred

dred Well-Known Member

People forget, this is the same McLean that was warned off the FA about his goading of Sunderland fans while at WBA. Sunderland players were incensed by his behavior and I thought Danny Graham was going to chin him, probably would have missed though.

13. TopCat_

please log in to view this image

OldNewtown, dred and Smug in Boots like this.
  14. Deleted Member

Deleted Member Well-Known Member

15. Deleted Member

Deleted Member Well-Known Member

16. Jme

Jme Well-Known Member

I agree that anybody who was actually there and involved would be aggrieved by him and his bitterness. Personally think he's an idiot and I tend to ignore them and I didd Saturday . In reality he's finished as a footballer and that was his last chance to goad our fans ... he was torn apart from football perspective ..hence the hissy fit.

Young Ted and Smug in Boots like this.
  17. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Surely the clause is in his current contract. So if we were to offer him more money and a new deal with a big release clause, wouldn’t that mean spurs can’t sign him? Not exactly sure how it works.

Imagine someone comes in with £30m in January and we accept it, then spurs activate their clause, buy him from us then sell him to them? Not beyond the realms of possibility really

18. TopCat_

It's a condition of the transfer rather than a clause in his contract. Somewhere there will be a legal document entitling Spurs to buy him for £6m (probably by an agreed date) but Cirkin has the final say - he is free to turn them down

Young Ted and Montysoptician like this.