1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v West Bromwich Albion – Saturday 9th December 2023 - KO 12:30

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 6, 2023.

?

Your Prediction:

Poll closed Dec 9, 2023.
  1. Home win

60.7%
  2. Away win

23.0%
  3. Draw

16.4%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

SAFCvWBA.GIF
    Sunderland welcome West Brom to the Stadium of Light in the Championship.
    Last time out Sunderland drew at Millwall and Albion lost to Leicester.
    The Black Cats moved up to 9th and are 5 points off 5th placed Albion.
    Tony Mowbray won’t face his former club after being dismissed on Monday, Mike Dodds will take charge while the club continue their search for a new head coach. Naz Rusyn, Chris Rigg and Jensen Seelt were all missing from the squad at Millwall. Seelt and Rigg could return for this game but Rusyn has a groin injury.
    West Brom looked to have snatched a last minute equaliser against a dominant Leicester side but threw it all away as the league leaders broke away and scored a dramatic 94th minute winner.
    Ex Black Cat, Josh Maja scored his first goal for the Baggies after coming off the bench against Leicester and will be looking to start this game.
    Okay Yokuslu is suspended after reaching 5 yellows.
    Tony Mowbray:
    "I thought we controlled the game for the vast amount of time really.
    "We tried to play high, keep the ball away from our goal and tried to dominate possession of the ball in their half.
    "Generally we did that. Their goal was a bit of a breakaway. We played OK in the controlling aspect of keeping Millwall from loading our box.
    "But we're still lacking a real goal threat. We didn't look like we were going to score loads of goals.
    "That's not meant to be a criticism - these are young players who need the game time to learn the job. They're learning on the job and we have to keep showing them.
    "Then we will hopefully have strikers that are banging the ball in the net to help us with the possession and domination of certain games that we have."
    Carlos Corberan:
    "I am pleased when I see the team trying to win the game.
    "But we need to make a better decision in the situation.
    “We had two players who could not play, Kyle Bartley and Jed Wallace.
    "We do not know how long Wallace will be out. Bartley was feeling his hamstring."
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    DARREN BOND
    Assistant Referees: Gary Beswick & Derek Eaton
    Fourth Official: Martin Woods

Team Lineups:
    Sunderland AFC:
    (4-2-3-1) Patterson, Huggins, Ballard, O’Nien, Hume, Neil, Ekwah, Clarke, Pritchard, Roberts, Mayenda
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Bishop, Triantis, Hemir, Jobe, Ba, Rigg, Aouchiche, Dack, Seelt.
    Injured: Evans, Alese, Matete, Cirkin, Rusyn, Pembele.

West Brom (4-2-3-1) BPalmer, Furlong, Ajayi, Kipré, Townsend, Chalobah, Mowatt, Diangana, Sarmiento, Phillips, Thomas-Asante.
    Subs: Molumby, Maja, Pieters, Swift, Ávila Gordón, Fellows, Griffiths, Taylor
    Injured: Bartley, Wallace, Reach, Dike.
    Suspended: Yokuslu
    Characteristics.GIF
    Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    13/10 West Brom 2/1 Draw 12/5

Prutton Predicts: meh

My two pence:
    West Brom played pretty well against Leicester in a fairly even game. We were poor last time out but at least we didn’t lose. Hopefully Mike Dodds can get the players up for this one.
    I’m not confident but I’m going for a 2-1 home win

Live Stream:
    This game is live on Sky Sports Football

Ha’way the Lads

Chip, SAFCDRUM, Thome36 and 25 others like this.
  2. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Well-Known Member

Brilliant as always mate.

Let's be honest a draw wouldnt be a terrible result? They are in very good form, we are struggling a bit.

Going to be an interesting end to the week and team announcement

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  3. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

Even if a new coach is brought in before Saturday I doubt there will be much change in terms of team selection or system. Corberan is a really good coach and has WBA in a great position considering the current situation at their club. Yokuslu will be a miss for them, so will Bartley and Wallace. 1-1, Dan Neil late equaliser.

4. WorkyTicketFTM

WorkyTicketFTM Well-Known Member

Didn’t they play the same Xl for 2 games on the back of a 6-0 defeat after Johnson’s sacking?

Few big players out for them as you’ve mentioned but Sarmiento is my worry, keep him quiet and we can get a result. 2-1 the lads.

Blond Bombshell, Sour Patch and RTB like this.
  5. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

I’d agree with that team mate have to have Pritchard on for his experience and I’m sure he’d like to prove he should have been starting games. I watched there last game and there a decent team play some nice stuff should be a good game.
    hopefully the new gaffa will have had a word with them before the game and will be watching from the stands.

6. Hudson92

Hudson92 Well-Known Member

Big physical side these we have to be on it especially at set pieces worried we lose 0-2 but this is Sunderland you never know what you’re going to get with us, play our game with the right tempo and no reason we can’t get a result

7. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Thought we had someone in till I checked.

Not hopeful with Dodds after he took over from Johnson last time.

8. smithy in nl

haha sorry mate that’s me just being hopeful.

clockstander, RTB and Nig like this.
  9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Yeah I guessed that's what you meant lol .
    Just edited my post too ;)

clockstander, RTB and smithy in nl like this.
  10. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Games are always tight against these and after the week we’ve had I’d happily take a point but obviously 3 would be better. HTL.

RTB and Blond Bombshell like this.

11. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Good to see that you have included Pritch in your starting 11. We do seem to play better with him in the team.

I'm going for a scrappy 1-0 win to the lads

RTB likes this.
  12. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Great thread as always, I'd be happy with a draw given recent events. I don't think Dodds will line us up any differently but I would like to see Pritch in there.

Would also like them to have Murty on the sidelines with Dodds and Proctor.

RTB and clockstander like this.
  13. MKmackem

MKmackem Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the Pritchard comments, he makes us tick and keeps the tempo high and also leads the press. I like Adil but think he's better off the bench, going for a 2-1 hard fought victory to the lads.

Thanks again for the thread it always makes the game seem closer.

RTB likes this.
  14. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Great to see the match day thread after such a traumatic week. Thanks again RTB for giving us something to hang onto. Your team looks OK even though I would have Roberts on the bench again. I have been a critic of TM for some time now but the timing of his departure was surprising , looking at the fixtures ahead this could be a gamble by the top brass. On the game itself I have watched WBA a few times this season, and they are a real threat , they play a containing game with a very very good counter attack , throw Maja into the mix and I fear the worst especially as has been pointed out Dodds , LJ2, is in charge. Only positive I can see is the unpredictability of football itself so for that reason I am not making any prediction , but will settle for a point now while praying for all three whatever the performance or circumstances. Irrespective of the next couple of results I still believe and trust in KLD to see us at least make a good shot at the play-offs this season, but it looks atm like we will end up just outside that target, but I wont blame the recruitment team for that the fault lies elswhere in my opinion.. OaU

15. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Feels like the kind of game we might get a result in a crisis.

Im gonna be interested in body language and such in the warm ups. We have noted how players had stopped praising Mowbray and how a couple may have felt a wee bit alienated by his comments. We know he didn’t recruit them. Be interesting to see if anyone has a new bounce.

I wouldn’t change the team too much, but I hope whoever we bring in has the ability to do so.

Im not excited for the atmosphere, it’s felt a bit tense for me last 2-3 home games and this won’t have helped, being such a divisive decision. Edgy 2-1.
    Ha’waaaaay

16. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Thanks RTB. I must admit my eyes are really on the game yet, although I am heading up for this one. A quick 5 minute think and I must say I am apprehensive about it. No doubt once I am there I will be full of confidence as usual.

I have no idea what Dodds will do. Although I would imagine Jobe will start.

I hope we have a new man in by Saturday. Will be worrying if not and not sure what the atmosphere will be like.

RTB, clockstander and Blond Bombshell like this.
  17. Sour Patch

Sour Patch Guest

Forgot this was a 12:30 kick off, possibly my least favourite slot

RTB, clockstander and Blond Bombshell like this.
  18. smithy in nl

I think the crowd will be well up for it, they know the lads will do everything they can to win they’ve never not gave 100% imo.

RTB, Robertson, clockstander and 2 others like this.
  19. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

This is true. No signs of anyone tossing it in.

RTB and smithy in nl like this.
  20. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Agree, Jobe in for Pritchard as he's not in next year's plans so will probably be pushed out the door in January.

Atmosphere ain't going to be helped by the early kick-off after Mogga departure, need us fans to get behind the team. Hhhaaawwwwaaaaayyyyyyy the lads

RTB and FellTop like this.