1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v Millwall FC – Saturday 20th April 2024 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Apr 17, 2024.

?

Your Prediction:

Poll closed Apr 20, 2024.
  1. Home win

81.7%
  2. Away win

1.7%
  3. Draw

16.7%
  1. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

Roberts only had 1 goal and 1 assist in that season for us also, in League One.

2. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Bang on. It’s certainly isn’t ruining a thread <laugh>

I hope Roberts starts on Saturday.

clockstander and SourPatch2 like this.
  3. SourPatch2

Would like nothing more than him to start banging them in. Thought he'd be a superstar after that season at Celtic.

clockstander and LD19SAFC like this.
  4. alcoauth

alcoauth Well-Known Member

That's fine. He had 12 the next season in better standard of league. The point is, a bad season does a player maketh not.

5. SourPatch2

And Clarke had 24.

Roberts has had 10+ goal contributions twice in his career. The type of season he's having now is not an anomaly, his 2 good seasons are the outliers.

6. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Its 1 of the things you look at for sure but the big thing i look for in wingers is are they a goal threat? Do they get themselves into the box, do they attack the back post, do they create chances for teammates - they are more important than can they beat someone

I also look at the out of possession stuff, do they press, do they track runners

Ba is ahead of roberts in all those areas - ba still has a long way to go tho

7. alcoauth

I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree then. As Roberts' career has been defined by loans here there and everywhere, a bit like Jack before he signed with us, which is not conducive to consistency.

For me, he's a Premiership calibre winger who is badly out of form, I trust the likes of Southampton who tried to sign him, Mowbray, Brendan Rogers etc who all had glowing reports on the player, over - with respect, those without those types of credentials.

FellTop likes this.
  8. alcoauth

Yes, there is a type of winger who can win headers at the back post, Jack Clarke isn't too bad at that, that isn't Roberts game though, again you sacrifice something over here for something over there.

FellTop and Scout73 like this.
  9. SourPatch2

I once again ask, what does Roberts offer the team?

10. alcoauth

It's been answered, you just don't like the answer.

12 goal contributions last season, that is what he can offer, yes his form has been poor. Good players have bad seasons, football history is littered with examples.

FellTop and vic9 like this.

11. SourPatch2

You haven't answered though. What does he offer right now to the team? It's a simple question.

He's had 2 good seasons in his entire career, he's 27. This isn't a 'bad season', it's a normal season for him.

12. Yorkie

Yorkie Well-Known Member

I’m firmly in the camp that Roberts shouldn’t be on the pitch again this season. He’s not going to suddenly start offering something out of nowhere. As for next season - he either needs some intense coaching to learn how to optimise his ability or we need Amad back to work with him.

clockstander likes this.
  13. alcoauth

I've answered these questions, again, you don't like the answers (career of loan spells).

14. SourPatch2

And why is his career full of loan spells? Because he isn't good.

15. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Roberts needs to become a goal threat to justify a start for me, the talent is def there but does he have the desire.

That desire to burst a gut to get in at the back post, to get across defenders in the box (like he did for that sheff wed goal). The desire to defend from the front, track runners etc.

He needs to move the ball quicker, this will add an extra part to his game - he would be harder to play against if he mixes his game up between quick passes n dribbling

Roberts is at a make or break point in his career - needs to show his ability more often.

Hopefully a new manager will get his confidence back

clockstander, Jarca and alcoauth like this.
  16. alcoauth

To be fair to Paddy, he was on the books at Man City, the calibre of player in front of him was almost always world class. I think this is your weakest argument yet. He is a good player, having a bad season, if we polled this forum right now I'm sure 75% would agree with that statement.

17. alcoauth

I'd agree with most of that, his quality shouldn't be doubted but there are obviously factors at play that are preventing from performing effectively, possibly mental ones going off Mike Dodds' comments the other week.

I agree he cannot afford another season like this, he will be out by January if that is the case, but right now, looking at our other wing options he will be in contention and after returning from injury and those comments from Dodds, I'm curious to see if he is refreshed or somehow invigorated to make a difference.

Scout73 likes this.
  18. SourPatch2

Derby wasn't filled with world class players, was poor. Boro wasn't filled with world class players, was poor. Troyes wasn't filled with world class players, was poor. Girona wasn't filled with world class players, was poor. Norwich wasn't filled with world class players, was poor.

He's being outscored, outperformed, outworked here by players people have written off yet he seems to get a free pass and is labelled as one of the best wingers outside of the PL. I do not get it.

19. alcoauth

Yet he keeps getting picked by experts with decades of experience in the sport they're paid millions by, to access their expertise.

Sometimes you just gotta say, I can't see it but people above my pay grade can, and that's okay.

20. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

If Neil is injured I would love to see Rigg given the last 3 games in the middle of the park and see how he performs.
    Another cracker RTB.....