1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Sunday 1st. August 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 31, 2021.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Sunday's Meetings

Market Rasen
    N/H 7 Races 1-00-4:37p.m.
    Galway Festival
    Flat 8 Races 1:40-5:20p.m.
    Thirsk
    Flat 8 Races 1:50-5:30p.m.
    Chester
    Flat 7 Races 2:10-5:15p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races
    Sporting Life
    Racing Post

Good Luck<ok>

2. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

At Galway the 2.15 race over 7F seems to have a sure fire winner based on Racing Post figures. However she can be backed at 10/3.

Cyclamen ran to 62 on their ratings when 6th on debut but got a good bump up to 85 next time when runner up. That figure leaves her 8 lbs clear of those who have run and you would think she would be skinny but she is not favourite and has 16 lbs in hand of the colt who IS favourite, based on RPRs. In addition all nine to run from her first race ran unplaced next time and all five from her second race were also unplaced in their next races.

Karakoul is shading favouritism and he was 7th on debut before being runner up to Piz Badile next time. That is steady rather than marked progress and I feel he is a shade short in the betting.

The newcomers don't look anything out of the ordinary and I sided with a once raced horse taking on two time runners at the head of the market.

Eurocrat was 3rd to Celtic Times on debut and was beaten a fair way but that horse came in with two runs already under the belt and is now rated 93 on official figures. I did see a preview that said they were concerned that Eurocrat has been absent since May but the gelding missed one engagement due to soft ground and another because he picked up a stone bruise. Presumably over that now, I feel the son of Holy Roman Emperor can come forward and be very competitive today. Five future winners came from Eurocrat's first race and I like that over the form of Cyclamen's races. The ground is good, so presumably that is what the stable thinks he needs.

2.15 Galway Eurocrat 7/2

I would have him favourite here.

Good luck to all Sunday players.

3. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Looks a pretty competitive race on the face of it. Don't think i could pick anything with absolute confidence but at the prices I'd probably lean towards Malayan. Keane/Weld and available at around 8/1. Little bit short to play ew so win only.

4. Grendel

The later maiden at Galway looks an affair that lacks depth. Rosscarbery has had several goes without winning but does have an official rating of 80, which is pretty good in the context of this race. Dermot Weld saddles Fine Lace, who is out of Frankel, and she has been backed in to favourite in many lists now. Fine Lace would not need to be special to win on debut but the question has to be asked as to why we haven't seen her before now and the fact that she debuts at 12F does not suggest she has been showing a lot of speed at home.

The race was won last season by a filly who earned a RPR of 80 for the win and Rosscarbery is in that range on official figures and RPRs. I thought the bird in the hand theory applied in a weak looking affair and if the Weld filly turns out smart so be it.

Over at Chester Nuance looks to hold a good chance. The son of Frankel has been 4th and 3rd in races that have had subsequent winners and although Mr McCann didn't look to do much for the form of Nuance's most recent race, he was campaigned in Group and Listed company afterwards.

Nuance seemed to race keenly last time, so Chester may suit him and he comes out of Trap 1. Not a great price, so he is doubled up with Rosscarbery.

2.40 Chester Nuance 11/8
    3.50 Galway Rosscarbery 5/2

Win double

5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Well-Known Member

Raabihah runs today at Clairefontaine 16,00.

Galway
    16,50 Moon Daisy 9/1 e/w bet365 four places, 17/2 five places with PP and Betfair

Thirsk
    15,25 Cassy O 10/1 e/w four places with PP and Betfair, 9/1 four places WH

SwanHills, karlos5001 and Grendel like this.
  6. Grendel

Several non-runners have messed up the betting today.

Nuance has drifted out to 15/8 but I am not really concerned by that. I thought he was too short as a maiden taking on winners and if he drifts further I might think about a single bet on him.

karlos5001 likes this.
  7. LordGyllene

LordGyllene Well-Known Member

Market Rasen 1.35 Southfield Torr

Career low mark for this ex-Paul Nicholls trained runner who run well from the front in first time blinkers at this track last time out when 6th. Worth a small each way bet in my opinion.

LD19SAFC likes this.
  8. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Nice one Smokey, well done.

smokethedeadbadger and # like this.
  9. Grendel

In the 3.25 Clairefontaine Integrant looked sure to appreciate the step up in trip. The Frankel horse is 2/2 and came from off the pace to take it up last time to win with something in hand. The Royer-Dupre horse looks a possible contender after a third and two wins but I felt Integrant had more to come stepping up.

3.25 Clairfontaine Integrant 11/4 to swoop late and score.

# likes this.
  10. Grendel

Good shout with Malayan, did it nicely for you there. Eurocrat was never really travelling and always being bumped along to keep in touch. The betting was against him and he was disappointing, Cyclamen didn't run as the ratings suggested. I thought they were rather generous figures from the last race.

11. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Shout Smokey.

In 90 minutes against Huddersfield today the Owls managed 1 shot on target and 1 corner. Then lost on penalties. Ah well, we can concentrate on the league now <laugh>

Going to be a long old season ........................ :(

smokethedeadbadger likes this.
  12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

Shout, Smokey! <ok>

# and smokethedeadbadger like this.
  13. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

Good call at Thirsk Pilgrim, well done.

# and Pilgrim like this.
  14. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

In the 16:37 Market Rasen, Sister Sophie might sneak in for a podium finish if there is a bit of pace in this race, but no guarantee of that happening!

Shout, Pilgrim, at Thirsk! <ok>

Pilgrim likes this.
  15. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

Shout

Pilgrim likes this.
  16. Grendel

Integrant was dire. He was never travelling at all and the jockey accepted it quickly. Desperate effort that. The Royer-Dupre runner was worse, tailed off 15 lengths behind the nearest runner. Should have just gone with the trainer and Andre Fabre had the 10/1 winner.

Rosscarbery was dismal as well. Held every chance but had no answer to Joseph O'Brien's filly and then couldn't even hold on for second. I don't like calling horses dogs but you get the feeling Rosscarbery might have new, orange, colours and be coming out of Trap 5 next time.

Just something to while away a poor Sunday's racing.

Well done to the 9YO Judicial in making his 44th race a winning one. That was his 16th career win and he has won over quarter of a million quid in prize money. He is 4/5 at Chester and was second the time he didn't win. Nice 4/1 odds with Dakota Gold a warm favourite today.

Janabelle13 and Pilgrim like this.
  17. Grendel

Well done Pilgrim with Cassy O, that was a cosy win.

I should have listened to my wife today. We have a tom cat called Teddy and she suggested Give It Some Teddy at Thirsk. I explained that these coincidence bets rarely come off and had to watch Give It Some Teddy win at 9/1. I must look for the cat angle in future.

Pilgrim likes this.
  18. Grendel

That looked a smart performance from Palmas in the German Oaks today. The Wolher trained filly dismantled her field by 6 lengths eased down and the RPR of 110 was an improvement of 22 lbs on her only other start. That looked a really good performance today and she may be underestimated if she steps up into deeper waters next time.

Worth keeping an eye on Palmas I would say.

Pilgrim likes this.
  19. Janabelle13

Janabelle13 Well-Known Member

It was his 17th win. RP did a nice piece on him as one of the Fans Favourites series
    Quirky and difficult to model pupil: Judicial's evolution into a Saturday star | Horse Racing News | Racing Post