1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer Transfer Window 2023

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Hamish McMagdad, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Obi Wan

Obi Wan keeper of the peace

But we could offer them The Mighty Murphy in part exchange, that must put us as front-runners?

<whistle>

:bandit:

2. Rudekid

Rudekid Well-Known Member

200.gif

3. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Just give em the Mighty Murphy Power Ranger and Hendrick and Lewis and he's in the bag.

Cavaet - Murphy is actually ok and I want him to stay, he just fits in nicely with the wordplay there.

4. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Surely we’re not genuinely offering this much for VO? I thought we were under strict FFP? We need several players not just 1

5. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Could mean they have a wild sponsorship scheme lined up. Noon sleeve sponsorship is already paying as much as some front of shirt sponsors (including more than our own). The off-field stuff over the next few years could be as exciting as any on field success.

6. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Indeed however I want (never gets) 5 starting players. Spending half budget on one is a tad silly

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  7. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

VO is not a target, just the first of what will be endless rumours because of our Saudi money. Isak is the number 1 striker. We may go after someone more raw to supplement the front line, I understand Balogun is unlikely to renew a contract at Arsenal (on loan at Reims) so he'd be a superb purchase.

I don't actually know we need 5-6 players. I always felt this year we were two short. We've since got one (Gordon) but missed the CM boat. This Summer, we've got to look to CM as the main purchase, but also at the left back situation - no disrespect to Burn, but Targett's not come in as I thought he would and Lewis/Dummett are awful. I like Burn as backup and as a squad member, but we should really have someone good there - Mitchell Bakker fits the bill.

So the main acquisition I expect to be CM. There's dozens of candidates.

Then it's about constant improvements to ensure people like Ritchie are gone, and Lascelles is an emergency choice.

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  8. G4rdToonArmy

Agree I don't think VO is a target and I think Isak is the big money buy up top for the foreseeable future.

You look at the big money signings so far (in order):

CM - BRUNO (24) - £40m
    CB - BOTMAN (23) - £30m
    CF - ISAK (23) - £60m
    RW - GORDON (22) - £40m

There is a clear plan there - first a spine of a squad that'll last 5-7 years, then the wide players (FB and Wings). I expect a LB and LW in the summer maybe a CB/CM also.

9. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

We should consider Scott mctominay!

FadgewackeR likes this.
  10. Rudekid

He's a nailed on signing....

11. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Whilst it's probably completely unjust, I do have a slight concern that we'll waste too much money on average but 'Premier League experienced' players like McTominay and perma-injured but prem experienced like Tierney. As we have spent good money on three big foreign purchases over the last few windows, I really have little grounding for this concern... It's just a niggling feeling.

magpie290761 and Munson. like this.
  12. Maximin Effort

Maximin Effort Well-Known Member

That's just the lingering doubts of the Ashley era. Rid yourself of such thoughts...

13. Rudekid

Newcastle like both types .. one is a little bit of Stoke City

14. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

Bruno, Botman and Isak beg to differ.

Those who fit that “average” profile have been signed, and needed, so whilst we still won’t chase superstars, I wouldn’t concern yourself with thinking all we will sign are plodders. I mean, Gordon isn’t even an average plodder, he’s got a lot of admirers and is a very dynamic player.

15. G4rdToonArmy

Think we will be in for a 20-24 y/o CM from the EPL, a 20-25 y/o winger from abroad and a 25-28 y/o CB in the summer.

Edit: Maybe, McTomminay in that CM position isn't such a bad shout, 4 goals in 1.5 games for Scotland this week. He is probably around S.Longstaff's level but it would certainly be an upgrade on Hendricks, Hayden and Matty Longstaff.

Not a star signing but he adds depth to the squad we are currently lacking. Even with him we'd probably still want at least one more CM as well. If you can get him at a fair market value price I'd not be completely against signing him. Would also allow Anderson to go out on loan.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  16. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

An expensive signing for someone around Longstaffs ability considering we could and should get better

17. G4rdToonArmy

Yeah I get that but if you could get him for around 25-30m for a 4-6th choice player wouldn't be an awful deal, saying that I'd rather pay 40-50m for someone like Alvarez off Ajax...

Currently we only have 4 CM's in Bruno, Willock, Joelinton and Longstaff and with the formation we play and potential European football next year we need 2 more incase of injuries/suspensions as shown by Bruno and Willock being injured around the same time. Maybe could get away with one if Howe thinks Anderson can cut it but I'd rather loan him out and aid his development at a newly promoted EPL team next year.

18. Charlie Dogscock

Charlie Dogscock Well-Known Member

Tierney is leagues above McTomminay....yes, that's hyperbole cos I realise they actually play in the same league.

In the first tranche of signings, we had the likes of Wood, Burn and Targett purchased, with higher the profile players Bruno and Trippier, but since then it's been Botman, Isak and Gordon, so clearly the decent Prem experienced players were only a thing when we were lower down and with less bargaining power.

19. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

But that is an awful deal in my opinion. Plus I doubt he’d Be that cheap.

We have some good quality youngsters and I reckon people like Joe White and Lewis Miley should be pulled in to first team action.

To me we have:
    Bruno starting
    Joelinton starting
    Willock back up
    Longstaff back up
    Then a new starting midfielder soo why buy McNobody when both Willock and Longstaff are just as good?
    Then the likes out Joe White and Lewis Miley

To me we splash out on a top cm like Alvarez then that’s CM sorted this season.

20. G4rdToonArmy

Because you need depth - are Miley, White, Turner Cook or even Anderson in a position to play regular first team football? Anderson is close and if his 45 min display the other week is anything to go by he maybe ready for that 6th choice position where he gets cups and Europeans football but McTomminay would be a better choice in the big moments.

If any gets a serious injury you are then back down to 4 cm's and then one injury and a suspension and you are looking at regular game time for the youngsters who might or might not be ready...

I'll trust the process and in Eddie