1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer rebuild 2016

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Terror ball, May 29, 2015.

1. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

Why not? Others have done so successfully e.g. Vardy, Phillips to name two. Also why, after spending millions on the Academy and training grounds and building, in spite of so many negative comments, a decent squad and new owners who may have or may not have already put money into the club and wouldn't want to lose money fthemselves, we are preparing for the championship . This doesn't make sense and defies logic .We all knew the opening few weeks were going to be difficult and getting Mam City in the EFL cup didn't help. Whether we have the right manager to take us forward is another matter

seabreeze likes this.
  2. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Vetch - as usual some very valid points. We all know that football fans can be fickle, but in the main, they care about 'Their' club. The same cannot necessarily be said of the players or the Managers & their coaching team - many, if not all, are mercenaries chasing the best money.

Most on here were sceptical about Monk's appointment. My choice, as stated at the time, would have been Koeman. He certainly hasn't been too shabby thus far at either Southampton or Everton. That said, Monk had peoples' support "initially" - and was probably given more time than he deserved due to his playing status and service to the club - but he started to unravel all the good work and almost singlehandedly moved us away from our passing game. The football became dreary, the results dried up - and the shareholders were anxious to protect their prospective bonanza......

Guidolin came in and we - & the players - had to google him. He literally came from out of the blue (well I suppose he is Italian!<laugh>). Yes, he kept us up (although, in fairness, Curt certainly played more than a bit part) and probably deserved the right to have a chance at a fresh season.

Again, his 'permanent' appointment was not universally welcomed, but the fans thought that his defensive - indeed, negative - style of play borne out of necessity last season would have given way at the start of this season to a more attractive and attacking style of football. Yet, what we have witnessed is yet more Rorke's Drift style of football - but with a reduced cutting edge.

I guess most of us would have expected/hoped to have 6 or 7 points on the board after 5 games - ahead of a pretty daunting run of PL fixtures. However, we have only 4pts - having put in a lacklustre display against Hull, and arguably an even worse display at Southampton.

Additionally, rightly or wrongly, and we don't know the inside track, but it appears that he has lost - or is losing - the dressing room.

I would love Francesco to turn it around - but, in all honesty, I'm not sure that we can retain our PL status with him in charge.

In short, if he has to go, then he has to go sooner rather than later, thereby giving his successor as much of a fighting chance as possible.

Only my opinion<cheers>

3. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Selling Ash and Ayew and replacing them with Fer, VDH and Mawson is not good enough and most definitely shows a lack of ambition. I'm all for signing a championship striker in the summer but not in Jan. If we buy in Jan it needs to be experienced players of top flight.

4. Nosugarman1

In January I think a hard tackling defensive midfielder must be the priority and I would like to see a midfielder playmaker as well. It's too early to know whether Borja is going to be a success and the bits I've seen of Mcburnie I am hopeful he can step up and come of the bench more often.

5. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Agree. If Gylfi gets injured then we have no creative midfielders.
    As for DM I'd like to see Fulton get some game time first.

6. Nosugarman1

I like Fulton and would start him in front of Cork at the moment.

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  7. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

If it's not Cork and Leon (imo Leon brings the best out of Cork and is our best combo) I'd like to see Cork and Fulton or Leon and Fulton.

8. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

9. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

I agree totally valley but if things dont change and we pick up just the odd point here and there then who in their right mind good enough will want to join us. For us to improve and show ambition we have to start at the top by employing a new chairman and employing a good recruitment manager and maybe the good managers may think twice about taking us on and with a good manager we can attract good players. Sad as it is we are in a catch 22 position and it will only take the yanks to get us out of this nightmare..Our survival in in their hands as the buck stops with them now....

10. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Fully agree Dai.

DragonPhilljack likes this.

11. swanseaandproud

The thing is he is not that old today as there are players still playing at his age and older and fair play to magic daps he has kept himself fit and he could show some of our players a thing or two about being a striker......

12. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I was not keen on Monk being made manager, but got behind him until it became impossible, and while I like Franco, I recognise he does have his limits, though not helped by a very poor transfer window, my concern is that our boardroom has become incompetent, and we are seeing the effects on the field, no doubt Franco is heading for the exit door, but who next? and the big question is, will Jenkins get on with any high profile manager? he hasn't up until now, so looks like we are heading for crunch time as not all the problems at the club are Franco's doing, our boardroom must shoulder the majority of the blame, they have under performed in the transfer market for the last few seasons, and we are now paying for it, as is Franco, or whoever will replace him............<ok>

13. swanseaandproud

I agree that we really need an experienced premiership manager but will they be interested in us. We are not a poor club and dont have any significant debt to speak of and we have a decent squad of players that can with the right manager can easily survive this season. But we have one major problem and every manager worth his salt will know all about Jenkins as it's common knowledge that he is a domineering chairman that everything has to be done his way......We all know the type of manager required and we also know that these managers will never tolerate being undermined by the chairman as they will want overall control when it comes to players and the way he wants them to play. He will want a reasonable budget to use as and when that the club can afford and he wont want any interference from anyone other than his appointed staff.........So the chances of attracting any manager worth his salt is zero at the moment.....

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  14. Taffvalerowdy

15. swanseaandproud

Some players can be good for a team and not so good for anyone else and i think Bony is that type of player by the look of it.....Would he have been better joining us ? I'm not so sure as we are not playing like we use too but i would still rather him to what we have.....Even Gomis has found the right club for him and playing and scoring well again.... Sometimes moving from where you were successful can ruin your career....

LIBERTARIAN likes this.
  16. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

17. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Another 4 years on the bench <doh>

18. Taffvalerowdy

Did Guido know about this....?

19. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Our transfer history is a tail of two chairmen....Jenkins up till Laudrups agent being fired and Jenkins ever since .The team handed Monk was massively better than the one handed Guidolin.

20. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

"I don't know" <laugh>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.