1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Summer News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry notDistant if it seemed I was sitting on the fence....yes that a big NO from me.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's all a bit weird the talk about this one isn't it. People as good as saying it's a done deal several days ago and here we are on the eve of the last transfer day and nothing is said. I've never heard of the bloke and to be honest I never bother to look any of them up. I agree with what many appear to be saying in that he sounds to be the complete opposite of the type of player we have been told to expect. In fact Lowe has pretty much given a blue print of what we want in players and that we will not sign anyone who doesn't fit that. Will watch this space tomorrow with some interest now. If it is to be him and he is as disruptive as is being said then he is a NO from me also.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems that George Cooper has had a set back.....been seen on crutches and leg plastered....so the news goes.

5. notDistantGreen

I was afraid that had happened when he wasn't on the bench on Saturday.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Plenty of transfer and loan movement today....but as far as we can see after 11pm....nothing for Argyle....so if we cannot find someone from the free agent market we could be rather spartan in strikers...at present just two senior strikers available that are playing to many minutes per game and must stay injury free until Ennis returns.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A rumour going about is that a Tesco lorry stuck under a bridge stopped Argyle from bringing in any new players before the transfer window closed.....that couldn't be Ryan Lowe starting that one ?

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Good news....George Cooper had just "protection" for his leg....so no relapse issue.....and along with Danny Mayor should be available for Argyles next League match.

Which is at home on the 11th Sept....against Sheffield W.

Having the Portsmouth game off has given us a breather regarding recovering injuries.

9. notDistantGreen

Ennis the one that we want.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Unfortunately he will be longer....hope he is back before the end of October......Jephcott and Hardie will need some down time by then.....hopefully still uninjured.....fingers crossed.

We do need goals from elsewhere in the team....Scarr looks promising at corners.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Luke Jephcott has withdrawn from the Welsh squad....he has recently had contact with a Covid-19 case.

This is could have been before a league game....then it would have been a problem with our lack of experienced strikers.....we need a free agent soon.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Portsmouth game has been rearranged for Tuesday September 21st....7.45pm ...KO.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Phew that's handy..............even if convenient.

14. notDistantGreen

Does that mean he has to isolate for 10 days though?

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ryan Lowe is saying that he is quite relaxed about the situation regarding no players coming in on the last transfer day.

With Covid-19 in the Plymouth area running above the national average....about 530 per 100,000....and pro-footballers on the whole not being vaccinated that personally doesn't sound a too relaxing situation.

And then there is the problem of players actually playing a game and picking up an injury and us not having a big enough squad to cover for that eventuality....especially in strikers.

All I can say is if Lowe is relaxed about it then could he please tell the rest of us what's he on....because we'll have a drop of that as well please.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Can't say I'm that bothered either. I think we will cope quite well.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

England... 4-0 ...Andorra ( or not so exciting as watching paint dry)......I'm embarrassed to admit I watched this.....you would think England would have tried something not so boring.

88% of the play and only four goals....Sam Johnstone in goal is surely embarrassed to get paid for that....I think he took one or two goal kicks.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

When a team comes to supposedly play a game of football yet shows absolutely no ambition to do anything at all then it is bound to be boring no matter what the opposition do. Apart from kick people what exactly did Andorra do? What was England supposed to do against a team that didn't want to play? The number of goals is a bit irrelevant in my book. I'm surprised the players stayed awake let alone scored four. I can understand playing for a draw. If you are the complete underdog then why give the opposition anything. However, when you go behind and are losing the game what is the point of just trying to keep a score down. You have nothing points wise so are not going to get any by continuing to stonewall. Only losing 1 - 0 is a loss not a result for these teams. Even 4 - 0 is the same so just play the game and give it a go. Everyone expects them to lose anyway.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

You do wonder if there should be a minimum size for a country to play national football.

Andorra has a population of 77,543....so a limited selection available when you consider 50% would be female and the male population would be reduced to playing age possibly 10/15,000 to choose from... and of course many of them might play other sports other than football....Orpington who can only muster a team to play in a local NW Kent league have a population of roughly 90,000....and of course are not limited to selecting players that only live in the Orpington area.

So Andorra do quite well really....of course they only play 10 man defence and are quite organized at it...until they run out of steam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.