1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Summer News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by notDistantGreen, May 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Extra friendly arranged......Torquay away on Saturday 31st july at 3PM.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Should we be expecting some more incomings soon.....we have had SIX so far.

But we released TEN players and also FIVE loan players returned to their clubs.

So aren't we NINE players light at the moment.

We're being told how important pre-season training is and how hard it is to catch-up if you miss some....and how injuries can happen if you miss out on some.

3. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how to sign up for this seasons iFollow, now Argyle Team ?
    can't find it on their website.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Don't think you can sign up for it yet BC. Not sure the FA have given approval for televised games on a matchday yet. Not the same as for this last season and iFollow as crowds are allowed back in. Think you might have to wait a while yet so watch this space.

AWAY IN BC likes this.
  5. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Roger that Mr. S.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Am I right in assuming that Argyle's list of preferred players might of been exhausted.....and the result is the six players the we have so far signed.

We are still short of a full squad.....okay we might be expecting to bring in 3/4/5 loanees....which might happen nearer the start of the season.

That still might leave us rather bare in certain areas of the squad.....does that mean we might see some lesser choices being made.....and also gambolling on Galloway's poor fitness record because of it.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Don't think it would be right to assume that yet. Contract negotiations take their own sweet time...........

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Lets hope your right.....if not it's gone very quiet.....unless we're waiting for English and Italian players to finish on Sunday before doing a major signing......ho, ho.ho.

9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Well that didn't take too long did it. We are of course doomed again.

Lowe has already stated two things. The first being we intend to sign a few more players so that kills off the starting a season with half a squad and that he isn't going to rely on Loan players like last season which he acknowledges was a mistake. Of course we will probably have a few loanees but not to fill positions without us having cover ourselves. There always seems to be this belief that Argyle dip out of any players they want whereas other clubs sign them for fun. It really isn't true. Nobody outside the Argyle inner circle know who is or isn't on a list. There isn't any way of knowing who we have or haven't dipped out of we would rather have signed. There is no way on this planet that we will just sign any old player just to say we have one. There will be a batting order of preference no doubt but just because the first choice doesn't sign it doesn't mean the rest on the list are crap. I have to say I prefer this not rushing in these days. There is still plenty of time before the season kicks off.

10. notDistantGreen

Also the analytics approach means there are numerical measures of what you are looking for: number of tackles, number of passes in the final third, number of headers won and on and on.

Therefore if you don't get your first choice, you move on to the second or the third that meets the target numbers.

11. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

RIP Paul Mariner....Argyle legend!

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Blimey that's a shock Paul Mariner passing away.....on PAFC's website.....more info to follow they say.

13. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Hope he gets a minute silence tomorrow....

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Argyle U18's...1-1...Arsenal U18's.

Good result against a category one team.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure it's that much of a shock that Mariner has gone. Didn't he have a brain tumour removed fairly recently? Still sad news though. I never saw him play for Argyle. His period here coincided with me being in the RN and away from Plymouth.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I would have seen Mariner in 73/74 season down Charlton...we lost 2-0.

Also the next season at Charlton when it was Mariner/Rafferty and we won 2-0 (promotion year)....he didnt score in either match.

But that 74/75 season he totalled 21 league goals.....and Rafferty scored 26 league goals....and the team totalled 79 goals when they were pipped by Blackburn for the title....Charlton came third.

I think Rafferty was under-rated at Argyle and when he left it was for peanuts....very strange.

But the next season at Chelsea (Nov 75/76) we drew 2-2 and Mariner I believe scored both of them....I remember being locked in the ground for an hour after the match while the police cleared the streets so that the green army could be march back to tube station.....trouble was I didn't want to go that way.....my car was parked south of the river....bit of a nuisance actually.....so got home later than intended.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  17. notDistantGreen

Rafferty was a handful, strong and aggressive, if he couldn't get there by skill, he'd do it by force.

18. notDistantGreen

Just as a matter of interest, Remi Matthews joins Crystal Palace on a 2 year deal.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not a surprise he makes the Prem is it.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Who has been released by Sunderland....who have shipped out some good players this last week.....Wayne Hennessey has moved on after 7 years.....Matthews has to compete against Vicente Guaita and Jack Butland....so it might be hard to get game time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.