1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

We have also had the group stages of the EFL Trophy drawn today.....and Argyle have been grouped with Cheltenham, Newport and Norwich....opening games will be played on either the 8th or 9th September....match details will be announced as soon as possible.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just as well the ground is still closed for the first round of the EFL Trophy then. You have to pay people to go to that competition.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

These early cup games will compensate for the lack of a full pre-season....and hopefully get the team up to speed for the start of Div 1 season.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see Lyle Taylor honoured Nottingham Forest with his signature in the end....at least he won't have to go to Charlton to play this coming season....by walking out on them he helped them get relegated.

Forest failed by goal difference to get into the play-offs....they only picked up two points in their last six fixtures....bottled out big time there.....but never mind Taylor will help them this year....unless it suits him otherwise of course.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rangers XI...3-2...Argyle.

Argyle played two trialists in this match...both left-wing backs....possibly Lewis Page and one other.

2-0 down at H/T but Argyle recovered to 2-2.....scorers being a Trialist and Sawyer.....Cooper saved a penalty which he had been penalized for... and the Rangers XI scored the winner at the end.

Argyle played most of their main players....but Hardie is still with his partner and their new born baby son.

Seems like a good workout all round....no idea who played for Rangers .... there is a match report on the Argyle website.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Annoyingly I see that Exeter have once again found a youngster to sell to a premiership club. No fee has been disclosed but I'll guarantee it wasn't for a bag of peanuts. We really need to get our youth set up sorted out and firing on all cylinders. Exeter seem to keep finding these players and we don't. I know Hallett is keen to go that way and it is about time.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ben Chrisene 16 yrs old....never heard of him...not surprising really...he has played...once in Carabao Cup...three times in the EFL Trophy and only one League two game...will disappear into Villa's youth set up....so a long way to go....they surely wouldn't of paid that much for him....seeing he's only ever played one league two game.
    Other more recent well known players...
    1.....Ollie Watkins 24yrs old at Brentford...career figures...246 games and 85 goals....most successful.
    2.....Matt Grimes 25yrs old at Swansea....career figures...235 games and 12 goals...spent 5 years out on loan at...Blackburn, Leeds and now Northampton....not really breaking through anymore.
    3.....Ethan Ampadu 19yrs old at Chelsea played once...career games 13 games no goals....on loan at RB Leipzag played three times.

They do seem to have the knack of bringing on young players....so something to learn there.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It seems possible that the second trialist who played against a Rangers XI yesterday was Calvin Miller 22yrs old an attacking left sided defender.

Has great pedigree and was once voted best young player in the world.....the reason Celtic let him go this summer when his contract finished was that he had been sidelined with injury for awhile and although on loan and back with Celtic he had no time to prove his worth to the manager.

If we can keep some of these talented free agents fit then we're on a winner....Macleod, Page, Miller would be great assets but don't forget we already have Telford and Aimson who we have been struggling to get fit since moving to Argyle last season....it's all one big gambol....but if it works then great.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Premier League games announced...some opening weekend games......

Man C...v...Aston V
    Burnley...v...Man U.
    Fulham...v...Arsenal.
    Spurs...v...Everton.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been a few comments in recent weeks about Jarvis Cleal....no mention of him at all....is he still at the club and if he is why no news of him.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Further to the Rangers game....there was no mention of who played for Rangers.....so open to rumours....one being that Jack Wilshere was a trialist for Rangers....he has a year left on his West Ham contract....BUT there is also talk that he trained with West Ham in the morning....so he would need a Superman outfit to get to the game in time.....records show that Wilshere has spent roughly 50% of his career injured....talk is that Rangers would take him on loan for the rest of his contract....it is known that Gerrard is trying to strengthen his midfield.

12. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Despite what's usually said about Scottish football, that's a good run-out against Rangers, who've already played several warm-up games against decent European sides. We don't know who played for them (or I don't anyway) but it's bound to have been a step up after one game against Parkway.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I see Ryan Taylor has signed a contract with Newport for one year.

14. notDistantGreen

Glad he has a club. As honest and hard working player as you'll see anywhere anytime.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Some of 2020/21 League One fixtures.

12 Sep...H...v...Blackpool.
    19 Sep...A...v...AFC Wimbledon.....damn one of my local games.
    26 Sep...H...v...Shrewsbury.

14 Nov...H...v...Portsmouth.

12 Dec...A...v...Bristol R
    19 Dec...H...v...MK Dons.
    26 Dec...A...v...Charlton.....probably miss this one as well.

2 .Jan....H...v...Gillingham.
    9. Jan....A...v...Sunderland

6..Feb....A...v...Portsmouth

20 Mar...H...v...Bristol R

2...Apr...H...v...AFC Wimbledon
    5...Apr...A...v...Shrewsbury
    20 Apr...H...v...Charlton.

1..May...H...v...Sunderland
    8..May...A...v...Gillingham.....I wonder if I'll be able to go.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  16. notDistantGreen

Why are we always away on Boxing Day?

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Against my local team as well....I wonder If fans will still be restricted in some way....if not I'm sure my son will be able to get me a ticket.....the Wimbledon game on Sept 19th will obviously be behind closed doors.....but more encouraging for the last game of the season at Gillingham...I hope.......we did play them a few years back on the last day.....and how miserable that was....a 5-2 thrashing.

18. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea when spectators will be allowed back.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm not really sure BC....when it does happen it will be a percentage of season ticket holders to maintain social distancing at matches...no pay on the day have a chance at the moment....hence the good take up by last years STD holders to get first chance....long way to go for casual fans before any live football.

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

A good question. An enquiry is needed I think. I note the last game is once again away.

I think the proposed date for entry into the ground is 5th October, /if not then then somewhere near that date. However, they may relent and do something before or it may be ballsed up and be after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.