1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, May 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Wow....this is becoming the changing of the old guard...Edwards, Songo'o, Carey & now Fox have refused new contracts...Ness & Ainsworth released....and of course we're waiting to hear that Lameiras is moving on as well...also Oscar Threlkeld although only on loan has now a new club so gone from Argyle.....this does of course give Ryan Lowe more scope to bring in his own players and releasing wages to spend on his own choices.

So is Sawyer the only one to accept a new contract at the moment ?

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

With the exception of Carey, I can bear all of these departures. Fox has been a great player for us but he is 35 and I fully understand playing in Plymouth with your family in Norwich isn't good.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gary Sawyer (33), a Devon lad who's played 250 games for Argyle and close to 200 for other League clubs moving into some sort of coaching role.

As you say, we have a new manager who at the moment everyone is behind, many saying that they are now eagerly looking forward to the new season despite the relegation. Long may that 100% support last. We are in his hands............

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Maybe Lowe's style of attacking football could have been the last straw to help him decide to move on....at 35 he might not fit into a faster style of play.....who knows.

Didn't I read that his family live in the North West notDistant ?

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Ruben Lameiras it is said, turned down an offer to go to CSKA Sofia and to link up with Carey.

A move for Lameiras from such as Bordeaux, Cardiff, Swansea and Charlton have been talked about.

5. notDistantGreen

Whose family?

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

David Fox....you said his family lived in Norwich.....the news item said NW England ....which is right ?

7. notDistantGreen

They might be right: born in Staffs and first clubs were Man Utd and Blackpool, where he stayed until he was 26. Norwich were one of his subsequent clubs: not sure where I got it that his family lived there: probably Twitter.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Norwich...2010-14...played... 62 games ...1 goal.

9. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not so sure Lameiras is Carey's biggest fan in their fight for the limelight. I think Lameiras wants his own stage to play to the audience on. Still don't think he is necessarily Championship standard.

10. notDistantGreen

Carey's football is s sleek, black, shiny modern kitchen. Cool and functional.

Direct, hard and that left foot as sharp as a Sabatier knife.

Lamerias by comparison is a Victorian drawing room. Frilly, flounder, fussy. Stuffed animals under glass, locks of dead relatives hair in boxes. A chaise longue to cope with fainting fits when thinks get vaguely unpleasant.

Is that an analogy too far? It will stick with you though.....

11. notDistantGreen

Jamie Devitt has turned down a new contract at Carlisle.

12. notDistantGreen

PS yes it's early. Have to take car for a service before you ask.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Is that a service and MOT at the same time.....one guarantees that the other doesn't fail.....of course your car might not be old enough for a MOT.

This came to peoples notice when Ryan Lowe 'bumped' into him in Manchester last week.....Ryan said yes he did speak to him.....but was it about coming south....I expect we'll know soon enough.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The Dutch training camp has been cancelled.

Ryan Lowe's friendship with Steve Gerrard could be beneficial to Argyle...possibility of a friendly...although there is a draw back there because Rangers are in early European competition.....but talk of loans such as 21yr old Robbie McCrorie a goalkeeper...6ft 4in.....or Zak Rudden 19yr old forward....both capable at Div 2 level to be successful. But will dropping down to Div 2 might not help their development.....Div 1 would have been more beneficial.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Portsmouth & Sunderland are both chasing Freddie Ladapo.....a price of £500,000 has been mentioned....we'll be down to the dry bones of a team if we lose many more players.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Nottingham Forest could be in the market for a striker this coming season.....and Freddie Ladapo might be that man.....Herald suggesting he might cost them £700,000....probably just paper talk.

17. notDistantGreen

I wouldn't sell Ladapo for that. Twice that maybe. Lowe likes to play with 2 strikers and with the right partner, we haven't seen the best of Freddie yet.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Of course he'll go for nothing next year ?.....if Portsmouth, Sunderland and Forest are interested we might get a bidding war for him...I'd let him go for £1million.....could help to attract better players with increased wage offers.

19. notDistantGreen

First service today (free). I bought it as an ex demo, couple of thousand on the clock, 2/3 of the list price.

20. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Argyle just accepted 500k from Pompey and Sunderland.....think it's a cocked up statement lol. Typical!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.