1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2022 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by StJabbo1, Mar 27, 2022.

1. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Personally I think ultimately we will want a better 8 who can play in advanced 8 better than Ely, threading the passes quicker..I'd then see someone come in younger to push Aribo in that right sided 10 Personally. Then hopefully look at bringing in a striker and a left sided 10. I Personally think we only really need 3 players next summer to push us on again.

2. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I think there we also need someone else who can play in Lavia’s position assuming AMN can’t (or if he can and we don’t sign him permanently)

And given the situations with him and then Diallo’s dwindling contract - central midfield is another area

And that is assuming no significant departures - which is big assumption. And one I wouldn’t be confident making.

Although the emergence of Caicedo and the winding down of the contracts of Luiz and Tielemans might allow us to retain JWP. Chelsea have the targets from the Dutch league (and might finally go in for Rice) and Liverpool will want Bellingham and Caicedo. Arsenal could well go in for one or both of the other two I mentioned.

Which would probably leave us contenting with West Ham and I’m not sure he’d leave us for them unless they got champions league - which doesn’t look likely

Which leaves KWP, Tino if he takes off straight away post injury or one of the new signings if they really carry on their trajectory. And even then it would take a silly offer for the latter ones (and I expect we have a gentleman’s agreement of two years)

3. Gregm1988

I don’t really know who plays as an advanced 8 who would be a viable target for us. I noticed we are never linked with Gallagher. He seems ideal. Cole Palmer maybe but City seem to want to keep him. But Ely doesn’t seem to play as an advanced 8 at the moment from what I understand

On a right sided attacker - I really liked the look of the videos of Jackson from Villarreal from the earlier rumour in the summer. Lots of direct running like Edozie and Aribo. Apparently only one year left on his contract but I’d expect an extension as they are starting him a lot now. And also an expiring contract probably puts us at a disadvantage as it becomes about wages and not us offering sell ons and buy backs to selling clubs.

We were linked with young right sided attacker from city.

Left sided was Gakpo - so where we were looking to spend big.

A number 9 is going to be tough because everyone wants one and they are rare and expensive. I don’t expect anyone even slightly “established”. I got disappointed by Atalanta signing that Dane who looked like he might have been idea. Was also versatile and the right price range. But Atalanta are super strange. They don’t seem to hold players that long. They seemed to be happy sell a winger to Chelsea who they only signed in this window and I think the goalie they loaned to spurs last summer was one who they only just signed. Romero too - took up a permanent option and loaned him to spurs with an option straight away. But I expect that ship has sailed regardless

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    BackFromBeyond and SaintsFan86 like this.
  4. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

IMO McCarthy is a more than adequate back up to Bazunu as is Willy. Not sure what the obsession is with identifying the next player to get kicked out. The players we have all add value to the squad as a whole. Interestingly we now have ‘a team that Ralph built’ for the first time (apart from JWP who is irreplaceable anyway). No excuses this season with the squad we have.

Velcro Roy and lewebster like this.
  5. Gregm1988

Where are you getting the idea that there is an obsession with who to kick out next? Or indeed that anyone said McCarthy isn’t an adequate back up. I certainly never said that

What McCarthy is, is too highly paid to be a southampton backup. Based on info available on line it looks like we pay our backup keeper more than anyone other than the big 6. And we might even be paying him more than arsenal’s current backup and similar to city’s. (Similarly, Redmond was too highly paid to be a southampton sub. If Redmond was seen as a guaranteed starter he’d probably be staying.)

I have no issue with him being backup other than that. Indeed I am one of the people who will staunchly defend the decision to offer him a new contract when we did - despite the legions of saints fans all over various forums and social media outlets decrying the decision. It made perfect sense at the time given our financial and ownership situation

But within our budget for wages I am sure management think there are better places for that to go. And I absolutely wouldn’t disagree

My entire post was about who would still be in the squad this time next year who we didn’t really want there. It was widely reported saints would listen to offers for McCarthy , Walcott , Redmond, Stephens and Bednarek. I would expect all but potentially mccarthy to secure moves or have their contracts expired. That is not identifying who will be kicked out. It was more a commentary on how it looks like within 3 windows Sport Republic look like they will completely reshape the squad and that is impressive. It wasn’t meant as an attack at all.

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) likes this.
  6. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Yeah but gutted about Redders leaving too. On his day was a game-winner and I think he still has a few good years ahead of him. Still feel in the right team/formation he’d be a real asset.

Had some great moments for us. Let’s not forget he scored the winner in the home-leg semi-final against Liverpool. Shane gets all the credit cos it’s was last minute etc.

All the best to him.

Dohnut and ChilcoSaint like this.
  7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Not to mention a lovely goal to make it 0-4 at Fratton Park!

Dohnut and ChilcoSaint like this.
  8. MorgansBitOnTheSchneid

MorgansBitOnTheSchneid Well-Known Member

Forest still signing players

9. saintkeef

saintkeef Active Member

But no mention of Ralph or any manager by name - speaks volumes?

10. Lambertissier

Lambertissier Well-Known Member

Classy farewell message from Redders. Not sure if there a couple of thinly veiled digs, but that's down to interpretation... I'm sad to see him go. Always gave his best and had great talent, but just couldn't do it week in, week out.

First of all I’d like to thank the Saints fans for your patience, support and memories we have shared together over the years.

“I signed for this wonderful football club when there was no manager appointed at the time; through the support and trust of Les Reed, Ross Wilson and Katharina bringing me to the club. I thank you deeply guys for making that happen!

“It was 'The Southampton Way'. That was what got me. The sense of ambition and attacking, free-flowing football, mixed with a family-focused atmosphere within the club.

“Occasionally, this has been forgotten, pushed aside or not implemented when needed most; but I will always remember it’s true value and meaning. With the influx of the younger players coming through I hope that they bring you joy & also understand what it means to be a Saint!”

Redmond continued: “To the players - and some great friends made for life - I’ve spoken to you all already but again thank you for the memories we shared.

“In the good times, we played some great football. The difficult times, we had to grind out results in some of the darkest moments - we found ways and the strength together to dig ourselves out of it and pull through the towards better days. I wish you all nothing but the best for the future.

"To the staff members, again I tried to see everyone and speak to you before I left but as generic as it may seem, I thank you all for being something that this club values itself on - great people.

“In an up and down environment, thank you for your time and dedication towards the common goal. From the kitchen to kit staff; medical/S&C to liaison / media staff and of course, the various coaching teams and four managers that I’ve worked with throughout my time spent at this club.

“I can’t thank you all enough and I wish you guys nothing but the best for the future. Special mention to Les Reed, Ross Wilson, Martin Semmens, Matt Crocker, Katharina & the Liebherr family.

“A club that’s given me a huge platform for such a long time to grow as a player and a person. A club that has seen me at my best and my worst. Once a Saint, always a Saint.

“Southampton FC, thank you.”

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Didnt mention any of them by name so unless he hated them all I doubt it. Ralph spoke well of him and said their relationship was good until the end in todays presser

Velcro Roy likes this.
  12. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

I think most Saints supporters would agree that Redders had it all, apart from end product and never really performed consistently.
    This made him really frustrating to watch and meant he was never going to be a player for the top clubs.
    Still a bit sad to see him go.

13. Saint Elsewhere

Saint Elsewhere Well-Known Member

I'm a sucker for a bit of self-reflection in a farewell message - wish Redders nothing but the best; brilliant at times, frustrating at times, but once a saint...

14. Che’s Godlike Thighs

No one who leaves ever seems to mention him lol.

15. Che’s Godlike Thighs

When you actually put your mind to it, there are some great goals and fantastic moments from Redders. Deserves more respect. Especially when you think of the number of players we spent more money on, but did f*ck all.

Lambertissier likes this.
  16. 6-3

6-3 Active Member

That's a classy message - sounds like it was written by the man himself, not his PR agency.

The club did a nice video tribute on social media - I'd forgotten how many great goals he scored.

(Link here - Facebook won't let me embed it: https://fb.watch/fqKagMbIKW/)

17. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Thanks and good luck in Turkey, Redders.