1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Butterfield, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Butterfield

Butterfield Well-Known Member

2. Butterfield

3. Butterfield

I think we should sign the headmaster. I don’t think that is a controversial opinion.

Ubedizzy, lardiman and Smudger603 like this.
  4. Ubedizzy

Ubedizzy Well-Known Member

I don’t think Stockley ticks all the boxes as he needs to improve his footwork, but overall yes, for his heading ability, his nuisance value against defenders and his team ethic, I think he’s worth signing.

Ken Shabby and Smudger603 like this.
  5. Ubedizzy

Now, same question for Aneke........

personally it’s a no from me. When he’s on the pitch he is a terror and his goals per minute can’t be questioned, but I don’t think a player who can only play 15/20 minutes per game fits the bill. Perhaps if his wages could be linked to minutes played then maybe, but that’s a bit unrealistic.

6. CarrianCarcuss

CarrianCarcuss Active Member

What is the most important transfer we're going to need for next season then ?

7. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

I don't think there is an area where important transfers are not needed - except possibly the goalkeeping position.
    Our defence has functioned when at full strength, but has been weakened by too many injuries.
    We've not had a settled midfield all season - well, not for many months.
    And our forwards have been similarly inconsistent.

Bowyer couldn't get a tune out of these players, now Adkins can't get a tune out of them.

Both managers have won promotion from this league before. Our current gaffer has achieved that several times. But these are not 'his' players. They are the players mostly assembled during
    • A Summer 2019 transfer window with no backing from the budget cutting owner to strengthen the squad for Championship survival.
    • A January 2020 transfer window with a secret embargo on the Club and one of the owners more interested in buying range rovers.
    • A Summer 2020 transfer window that was almost over before we knew the Club would even still exist.
    Our squad this season has now proved it has not got what it takes to win promotion.

One or two changes in the summer will not be enough. Because of the abuse CAFC has suffered under it's last two owners, and particularly in the most recent 24 months, a squad clear-out and rebuild is now needed this coming summer on the same scale as the one Chris Powell oversaw in the summer of 2011.

The Charlton Athletic that walks out onto the pitch in front of fans again in August must be a team (and a squad) transformed.
    Not tweaked with.
    Changed beyond all recognition.

If not, then it's lower league football for the foreseeable future.
    I don't believe Thomas Sandgaard will be content with that, so I trust that he will bankroll the necessary rebuild, even if it means new investors coming onboard. Something we believe he is looking for anyway.

But even if the deep level of rebuild does not happen, you won't find me turning on Sandgaard.
    Even a 3rd tier future is much preferable to ending up like Bury FC.
    And that is where we were heading before TS stepped in.

To dream of a better future, we have to have a future at all.

Ken Shabby and Ubedizzy like this.
  8. Ubedizzy

Absolutely 100% spot on Lardi.

This team was built on a shoestring and it is not good enough to win promotion. That is not the fault of Bowyer, Adkins, TS or indeed the players themselves. It is the fault of years of mismanagement and decay from our previous owners. I cannot remember the last game where we looked like a good team, played the sort of football Crewe played last night or dominated a team like Crewe did to us last night.

The Plymouth game was one of those nights that you get very, very rarely and was mostly due to their negligent defence and lack of desire due to their league position. We have just been completely outplayed by Crewe Alexandra. That type of performance must stop.

We should have everything in place now to be successful next season and I believe we will be. The work must start now, if it hasn’t already started. I expect to see very few of these players playing a big role for us next season.

Again, it’s not their fault, it’s not LB’s fault, it’s not NA’s fault.

We should all be forever grateful to TS for the chance he has given us and what he saved us from.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Ken Shabby, lardiman and Butterfield like this.
  9. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

have we got a list of out of contract players?

10. CarrianCarcuss

Next year's league one will be weaker I believe , hull and Peterborough, being switched with Wycombe and Rotherham. Sheffield Wednesday could go either way. In terms on relegated teams we have dropped points against most of those down there.

Similarly the championship will be weaker as well next year but mainly due to the fact 10 teams will have transfer embargos so we could see some surprise contenders next year

11. Miketyson2007Junior

Miketyson2007Junior Well-Known Member

Out of Contract
    Amos
    Oshilaja
    Pearce
    Forster-Caskey
    Aneke
    Shinnie
    Pratley
    Matthews
    Watson (has a one year optional extension though)
    Maddison
    Oztumer

Returning Loanees
    Famewo
    Stockley
    Maatsen
    Smith
    Millar

So over half of the squad could leave in a few months, Adkins & board can clear the decks if they want to.

lardiman and Sat In Greenwich like this.
  12. Ubedizzy

Actually some of our better players on that list unfortunately.

Maddison, Oztumer, Aneke, Oshilaja, Watson definitely out.

Pearce, Shinnie, Amos possibly new contract

JFC, Matthews, Pratley short new contracts

13. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

i'd swap that around a bit myself. i'd keep aneke and ship out pearce.

Smudger603 and Ubedizzy like this.
  14. Ubedizzy

Don't get me wrong SIG, I think Aneke is our biggest goal threat when he's on the pitch, but I just don't think we can carry a player who can only play 15/20 minutes per game and is only effective for the last 15/20 minutes when defenders are physically too tired to handle him. We should be looking for better if we want automatic promotion next year.

Pearce is a difficult one. He was poor in several games earlier in the season, but has been very good since he's been partnered with Inniss or Famewo rather than Pratley or Gunter, neither of who are centre halves.

Sat In Greenwich likes this.
  15. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

It looks like Stockley will be signing on a permanent.

16. CarrianCarcuss

That is very good news if true, Stockley could score 20 goals in a season. Unlikely but he has the ability too based on what we've seen I feel

Smudger603 likes this.
  17. lardiman

lardiman The truth is out there
    Forum Moderator

Out of that lot (excluding the loanees) I would only want to keep

Forster-Caskey
    Shinnie
    Amos (unless a clearly better 'keeper happens to become easily available).

Miketyson2007Junior likes this.
  18. Ubedizzy

You know what, I think I've changed my mind.

I don't think Stockley is actually what we need and I don't think he's really good enough.

Thinking back, what we actually need is a BWP, Yann or (apologies in advance) another Lyle Taylor. Someone who has the ability to succeed at a higher level and is capable of scoring 20+ goals in League 1.

Ivan Toney, Jonson Clarke-Harris, that sort of level. We should be able to afford it now and its what you need if you are going to get automatic promotion, which is what we must be aiming for next season. No disrespect to him but Stockley is not in the same class as any of those 5 mentioned and we need to aim for much better than we've had for the last year.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  19. Dick Plumb1

Dick Plumb1 Well-Known Member

Stockley has shown he is good enough. What he needs is a partner. A quick player to get onto the flick ons. Of the out of contract players I would keep Amos, Matthews, Forster- Caskey and Aneke( he has scored 14 goals for us this season ). Aneke has also been involved in about 38 games this season. Not bad for someone injury prone.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/charlton-athletic/top-scorers

Smudger603 likes this.
  20. Smudger603

Smudger603 Well-Known Member

Agree with this - Stockley is a nuisance for opponents defence and with the right pairing and service can cause real damage