1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 20, 2021.

1. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

3. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I can see why as what was the norm back then is not acceptable now given the sexism and derogatory comments. I don't know how you feel about the "Likely Lads" but it improved throught the series.

Moving on, I heard someone mention Ings might be a Spurs target should Kane go. Is there anyone at Totttenham that could fit into the scheme of things at Southampton? That's why I threw in the name of Sessegnon. Any comments anyone?

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

FairPlay…….all the best Mario <applause>

SaintMarv, davecg69, Saints14 and 6 others like this.
  5. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Apparently Watford have had a £15m bid for Armstrong rejected. Although the story is from the sun.

The last thing we’d want is a bidding war pushing the price up, as we’d lose.

6. ElliotMP

ElliotMP Well-Known Member

Don't worry about losing a bidding war, I wouldn't want to pay near £20 million for a player with a year left on his contract regardless.

7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

I really don’t see us spending significantly more than £10m on Armstrong or anyone else. We’d just move on to other targets.

8. Saints FC 76

This guy was at Fulham last year and Spurs were reportedly after him. Is he actually that good?

Saints14 likes this.
  9. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Ings and Armstrong are in exactly the same contractual position, aren’t they? So if Armstrong is worth £20m then surely Ings must be worth double as a proven premier league marksman? I suspect we have a margin in mind between the 2 players and are waiting to see if that can be achieved. Hence the ‘pause’

Osvaldorama and BackFromBeyond like this.
  10. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Armstrong is 5 years younger, and hence will have sell-on value.

11. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He looked decent enough from what I saw of him. To be fair, a number of their loan players did. Their problem was generally with the rest of them, including a total inability to score.

It's pretty rare for a side to give their captaincy to a loanee, which says a lot.

Not only did Fulham concede considerably fewer than us, but also fewer than a team like Burnley - who are generally known more for their defence than attack.

Saints14 and AberdeenSaint like this.
  12. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

I thought this was good of him considering he spent much of his time on loan.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  13. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

I was impressed with him when I saw Fulham play. Although Fulham as a whole always looked pretty good when I watched them, they just couldn’t get the results maybe their play should have

14. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Saw an interesting take on the impact of Covid on football by Hassenhuttl. Basically said that no clubs have money and smaller clubs who rely on transfer fees from selling their players to bigger clubs are being hit hardest. Bigger clubs haven’t got the money to pay what the smaller clubs want, so the players are just running their contracts down so they can get their move on a free.

I’d never considered that but can definitely see this being the case

15. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

And it's theirs of us that will auffer as you mentioned ( smaller club which we are ) .

If as a direct result if all this means in the long run the crazy money goes , surely that has to be good for the SPORT in the long run ?

16. Saints FC 76

I hope I’m wrong but I think this will just add to problems in the future. When players go for free, they know they can get wages much higher than their ability deserves, hence Aaron Ramsey on £300k per week or whatever he’s on at Juve. It seems like more and more players are doing this now, and Alaba this summer is a prime example.

I know we’re not in that bracket, but I can see a knock on effect, with mid table players doing the same. That could then lead to overinflated wages when it comes to contract extensions for existing players who compare their wage to others.

17. mowgli

mowgli Well-Known Member

Not sure how true that is because after the club and the agent take their money, the players does not get much of a transfer fee. If it is true, at least the money is going where it should go - to the player. They won't need agents soon ;-)

18. Saints FC 76

That’s not what I meant. It seems to be the case that clubs are unable/unwilling to pay what the selling club want, so more players seem to be running their contracts down and then leaving for a free.

Because they leave on a free, they know they can get higher wages as the club aren’t spending out on any transfer fee. My point is that more and more average players getting big wages will have a negative knock on effect, in my opinion.

workshy, Schrodinger's Cat and mowgli like this.
  19. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I don`t know what Motherwell paid for him, but I`d be surprised if it was more that £200k. I imagine they`ll pay £3k a week tops.
    Still, a good opportunity for him to get his career going again - I`ll look forward to seeing him and Vokins in action next season.
    I hope he doesn`t think he`ll just waltz in and automatically be a big hit. I remember Joey Barton arriving at Rangers and announcing that he was going to be the best player in the league - he was a dismal flop.

20. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

Mmm. He put more effort into that farewell tweet than he did when he was a Saints player. He took the piss, and took his wages under false pretences. Good riddance!