1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2021 Transfer Rumours

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Negative Creep, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Are you new to supporting Saints? Of course there would be a meltdown, it’s the only thing we are good at

2. Saintmagic

Kane would be an almighty flop at City imo. Ibra is a better version of Kane and Pep hated using that style of striker, wouldn’t surprise me at all if they actually had no interest in him at all.

3. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure he is only linked as they are one of the only clubs that can afford him that Spurs might sell to (as in - they won’t sell to Chelsea)

4. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Villa could buy him now.....

5. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

They’ll probably offer £10m.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  6. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

In what ways do you Ibrahimovic is better than Kane?

I wouldn't even say they are that similar in their style of play. Apart from both being a lethal, powerful striker, they aren't that similar. Kane has an incredible passing range, can open up defences by dropping deep and changing position and is a much more rounded footballer than Ibrahimovic.

There will have been parts of Ibra's game Pep liked (finishing, aerial ability, hold up play) and Kane shares these traits.

Whereas the reasons Ibra didn't work out with Pep wouldn't apply to Kane due to his passing ability and positional awareness.

It also helps that Kane isn't a gigantic bellend!

StJabbo1 likes this.
  7. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

Different situation. Villa gave them an extra year as he could have easily left last season. Plus we got £26m whereas they are getting about £100m!

Realistically Villa fans should have nothing to complain about, and in fairness to them, I havent seen much moaning.

8. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

TBH apart from a couple of idiots their forum fans also see a £25m bid for JWP as a bit silly. Most there value him at 45-50m which is the type of figure which would make it hard for our owner to refuse.

Thing is with Grealish going are they such a huge step up from Saints that James would be keen to leave.

9. TIL I Die

TIL I Die Well-Known Member

Maybe just my blinkered outlook, but I honestly don’t think Grealish is all that.

10. Piri Weepu

Piri Weepu Well-Known Member

Most Villa fans I’ve spoken to were adamant he was staying, and were sold a dream of ‘project Europe’ with him as the spearhead. I guess from an outsiders perspective it’s easy to say it was obvious he’d go if a bigger club came in, but they firmly believed he wasn’t.

11. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I live up in the Midlands and the v`ill fans are in shock that Grealish is going, Villa have offered him a new £200k pw contract to keep him so they certainly have a lot of money to throw around so no doubt JWP will be offered a substantial wage increase to go to Villa and as we know that is the primary driver for footballers so it would surprise me if he comes to Villa for that reason especially if we don't up his new contract compete

12. Gregm1988

I wouldn’t be so sure. Offering an enormous amount to a homegrown, talismanic captain who is one of the most effective attacking players in the league does not mean they will then dish out that increase to a bunch of players in other positions

Realistically they will need to try and spend at least 30m if not a lot more on an attacking replacement and offer him over 100k a week.

Would they be offering JWP 100k or more a week? I don’t think that is how it usually works with highly paid talismans (look at Zaha or the MLS designated players)

I could be wrong but the MLS style designated player model seemed to be what Villa were going for here. Because with the ffp salary restrictions they couldn’t afford to align the rest of their salaries to that Grealish benchmark.

It is even biting clubs like Man United where players looked at Alexis Sanchez and demands insane pay rises. It is how you got De Gea with 350k and Brandon Williams with 65k.

13. Gregm1988

To be honest it is nice to see it happen to another club for a change. And in their case (unlike us) they weren’t even knocking on the door of Europe and their best player is being taken

I was about to say it would be nice if they lost a couple more. And then realised I don’t think the big teams would take any of them - goalkeeper is the exception but I don’t think any have an open first team slot. Which kind of shows the difference.

No one would pay more than what they did for Watkins after one season that seemed very much like one of two halves

Their defence largely benefited from a lack of injuries. Mings is kind of under rated and was apparently on Man United’s list if they didn’t get Varane. But he was at the bottom of it

They went on a purple patch at the beginning of last season but very much reverted to the mean especially when Grealish was injured and Watkins off form.

They finished 12 points ahead of us last season and we had a terrible season. It is not unreasonable to believe losing Grealish loses them 9-12 points easily if not more. They were nearly relegated with him the year before. The new goalkeeper and uninjured defence appears to have made a real difference.

It seems very much like beating Arsenal to Buendia has inflated their perception massively. And we are talking about the Arsenal who are rumoured to want to bid 70m for Maddison and have spent 50m on Whtie. So they likely “beat” Arsenal because arsenal simply did not value him at the price Villa were willing to pay. Or am I wrong and did Arsenal match the bid and the contract and he chose Villa? I really doubt it somehow

14. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Doesn’t Grealish have a recurring injury that’s similar to shin splints? That’s why he missed a few months last season and tends to have a spell on the sidelines most years.

He’ll be rotated a lot if he goes to City, but it’s a lot of money.

15. Saintmagic

He is just a better striker imo. In his prime I’d class Ibra as one of the best ever, I think Kane is the tier below. The bellend thing is individual, I think Kane is a dribbling ****ing idiot and Ibra is a legend and great in interviews.

City (in theory) just want an out and out striker, not somebody dropping deep and trying to do the job of their attacking mids. Look at the criticism Kane got in some of the Euro games for dropping deep, and that was with 2 of the 3 who could play behind him at City. Kane has everything geared to him at Spurs as he is the main man, that won’t happen at City. I’ve said it most of his career that I think he wouldn’t be anywhere near as prolific at a big club who don’t set up completely to suit him.

If he changes his game to just sit in the box waiting for service then it might work, but we all know Pep doesn’t want his striker to do that so it just doesn’t make sense. Going after a “false 9” seems much more logical, or a striker like Jesus who they already have (although his form/injury record has been poor the last season or so)

16. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Any Villa fan will tell you that Mings isn’t their best centre back. That partnership with the keeper means they’re much better than us IMO

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  17. Gregm1988

I don’t disagree. But note that it was unbroken all of last year. What happens if it gets broken? They might get away with it again but who knows

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

If they sign both that'll be a billion Pep has spent there right?

Genius though, or something.

19. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Apparently Ralph said ‘Djenepo is defensively super strong. I see him there (left back) in this season’. Only seen the quote on Instagram so don’t know if it’s true. But my god I hope not.

20. Gregm1988

The worry is more that it means we apparently have no viable transfer or loan targets for that position. Not surprising given we would be offering a bench role to someone which isn’t exactly a tantalising prospect