1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Summer 2017 - ins and outs ?

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 9, 2017.

1. EastneyPFC

EastneyPFC Well-Known Member

I think Roberts is a very good player but I think he'd only be able to give us 60 mins a game - no disrespect to his fitness but he is getting on for a midfielder - I also think he did on occasions slow the game down when it needed a quick pass. That said he played a vital part in our title winning season - so if he goes, he goes with my heartfelt thanks. Smithy just never quite worked out - I am sure he would do a job somewhere in Lge 2

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

It looks like Wigan are to offer a contract to Noel Hunt, who has been training with them for the last month. I liked Noel Hunt as a player, but he is rather injury prone, and only scored once for Pompey whilst playing with us. Still, Cookie knows best <ok>

Secondly, Gibraltar born midfielder Liam Walker, who played for Pompey in the 2012/13 season, has signed a contract with second division Notts County for manager Kevin Nolan. He looked a skillful player for us, so good luck to him.

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Two of our youngsters are set to go out on loan to National League South sides this season.

18 year olds Theo Widdrington to Havant & Waterlooville, and Jez Bedford to Poole Town.

4. EastneyPFC

I thought Walker wasn't given enough of a chance with us so hope he does well. Good that the youngsters are getting sorted early. Hopeful though that a couple get the chance with us such as Ben Close and Alex Bass...or if loaned out just down a division.

5. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

6. EastneyPFC

I'm hoping Close and May get a shout tbh - if we can't sell Gary Roberts they would both be great to bring on for him after 50 - 60 mins. GR can play - just not the full 90.

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Veteran striker Noel Hunt has finally signed for Paul Cook's Wigan Athletic.

Can't believe he hasn't made a move yet for Gary Roberts ;)

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Apparently, we are keen to sign Bournemouth defender Baily Cargill on loan. He is mainly a left footed centre half, but can also play at full back. 22 years of age, and six foot two and a half inches tall, he spent loan spells with both Coventry and Gillingham in 2016.

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Jez Bedford and Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain have signed for one month on loan from Portsmouth to bolster the Poole Town squad to face Weston Supermare in the Vanarama National League South opener on August 5th.

With injury to Luke Roberts, Tommy Killick felt he needed a little bit of experience to enhance the squad for the start of the 2017-18 season. With the support from Kenny Jackett at Pompey, both Jez and Christian will add a little to Poole Town’s start to their second season in this league. It will also allow some of the evolving youngsters a little more time to adjust to life within the 1st Team.

We hope Jez and Christian enjoy their time at Poole.
    please log in to view this image

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth winger Gary Roberts has left the League One newcomers by mutual consent.

The 33-year-old wideman had one-year left on his contract after signing a three-year deal when he signed for Pompey from Chesterfield in 2015.

Last season, as the south coast club won the League Two title in unforgettable fashion, Roberts played through the pain of a persistent injury to make 42 appearances for Paul Cook’s side as Pompey returned to the third tier.

In total, the former Accrington Stanley and Huddersfield man made 80 appearances during his time at Fratton Park, scoring 20 goals, and Portsmouth’s chief executive Mike Catlin said: “I’d like to offer my sincere thanks to Gary – both on a personal level and on behalf of everyone at the club.

“I hope that he will forever be remembered for what he achieved at Pompey, especially last season when we went on that fantastic run to win the title.

“His contribution over the past two years has been invaluable – he has been a fantastic player for this club. We all wish him every success for the future.”

Despite his impressive spell in Hampshire, Roberts fell out of favour with Kenny Jackett since his arrival as manager, and he had been made to train on his own.

Edit: Strong rumours that Oldham Athletic are after him.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

11. EastneyPFC

Did a very good job while here and could play a bit. I think he would not have been happy only getting odd games and at best 60 mins based on what looks to be a level up on Lge 2....Dale looked as fit as fleas on Saturday. Hope he gets something sorted out.

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey have been linked with a move for Birmingham midfielder, Stephen Gleeson. The 29-year-old is believed to be surplus to requirements at the Championship side. Will Harry Redknapp do us a favour?!

EastneyPFC likes this.
  13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Have read today that Pompey are close to signing Dion Donohue a 23 year old Welsh left back on loan from Chesterfield. 5'11" in height, and formerly in Everton's academy. Can also play left sided in midfield.

Signing may go through in time for him to be available on Saturday.

14. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

15. EastneyPFC

Good news he can also play left back but also hope this doesn't dent the morale of Close and May.

16. EastneyPFC

Matty Taylor left Northampton to join Swindon today - bit of a miss there I think - he'd be a good leader to have about for our younger midfielders.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

What a player he was for us previously !! Scored some fantastic goals as well.

18. EastneyPFC

Agreed Woops. Both he and Gary O'Neil were great....not stars of the team in many respects but two players who always gave it all on the pitch and so were totally in the fans eyes proper Pompey players.

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Well, it's happened !! Cook has signed Gary Roberts until the end of this season. He loaned out midfielder Jack Byrne to Oldham Athletic to make room for him.

Can't believe he hasn't tried to sign striker Michael Smith on a free transfer, as of yet :)

20. EastneyPFC

Shame he wouldn't spend any money on him. But well predicted Woop.