1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Street Racing?

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Resurgam, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

2. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Honestly? Load of bollocks.

NassauBoard and Resurgam like this.
  3. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

Pretty sure The French have had this lark in mind for the 'Champs-DeBoozeUp' for a few years now.

4. OddDog

Staff Member

A couple of years ago I was in the square in Siena where they hold the Palio (although I wasn't there for the race). Each time I see any coverage of the damned thing it just makes me shudder. It is only when you stand there do you realise it is totally unsuitable for a horse race of any kind. There is an article here (warning - horrible youtube footage of a horse breaking its leg) and, whilst I understand the tradition and the excitement it creates, for me it is a non-starter. Just like bull fighting in Spain. So why on Earth he thinks this is a good idea (whatever safety measures are put in place) this just shouldn't get off the ground. There are any number of racecourses around the country who would cry out for some of the money being wasted on this idea.

bayernkenny likes this.
  5. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

It does seem a bit out there. Maybe they could race down some side street, but I can't see the Sydney Harbour Bridge being closed off for even 5 minutes, let alone the days/weeks they'd need to lay the track.

6. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

I visited Siena while staying at Forte dei Marmi during Italia 1990. The same thoughts about the 'Palio' went through my mind; tradition is all very well however surely the welfare of the horses must, in time, take precedence. Gotta say I preferred Lucca as a 'tourist' town.

7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

Is a horse dying in the Palio any worse than a horse perishing at Aintree? I agree with you in regards the Palio, it should be banned, but in saying that, we lay ourselves open to others asking the same of horse racing. I'm happy to live with the double standard, but I'm as weak as piss.

OddDog likes this.
  8. OddDog

Staff Member

Oh yes, Lucca is beautiful. I spent a happy couple of hours in the main piazza there sinking ice cold Peronis whilst the wife and kids were off browsing the shops. I was even surprised by a live performance from a samba band <cheers>

bayernkenny likes this.
  9. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I think street racing has been summed up by this thread, no appetite for it and we just start talking about something else. What they should be investing in is getting the best horses from around the world together for Royal Ascot.

10. OddDog

Staff Member

You are right Cyc, of course. It just seems to me that professional horse racing does everything for the horses welfare whereas the Palio is a group of lunatics thrashing horses around a tight town square cheered on by more drunken lunatics.

Cyclonic likes this.

11. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Sounds like Chester

12. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

I saw something about this on one of the daily paper websites the other day.

Peter might be 14th in line to the throne but presumably he will drop to 15th in a couple of months’ time and if Kate knocks out another he will drop to 16th.

I simply do not see this as a starter.

Three days from start to finish is a funny definition of ‘pop-up’. Would the Aussies really close Sydney Harbour Bridge for that long for a gimmick?

Control of the environment will be almost impossible, so the animal rights nutters will be along on raceday one to disrupt proceedings. Horses are for food and glue, not racing on city streets.

Given that the various venues envisioned operate in different types of betting jurisdictions, it is difficult to see how that is going to be controlled. What is to stop Ladbrokes offering betting on a race in Singapore, from which the local betting monopoly receives no revenue?

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

When I saw the heading my instant reaction was wtf. But, I think this is about an event once a year (cf to massive fair or equestrian show jumping event) run on a well prepared racing surface. Cruelty doesn't come into it because the surface that will be laid will be safer than extreme going on turf. Finding an appropriate stretch might be the biggest logistical problem. Show jumping at the NEC is actually on a surface laid over concrete. If it takes off in Europe I'm sure my daughter will be there marketing a better surface than that proposed which will take much less than 3 days to prepare; and easier to clear up afterwards (already being used for training gallops and arenas)