1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Stoke City v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Matth_2014, Sep 7, 2017.

1. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

We're still top, still unbeaten. Stoke at home are a stern test for most teams and had Jones kept his mind on the game and his eyes on the ball we might not have conceded. If that had been Basle I might have been even slightly concerned - as it is we scored 2 away from home, something we weren't doing last season.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

We were a bit **** tonight to be honest.

Disappointing.

Still, you know how the cliche goes. Point gained rather than two lost as it's Stoke.

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

We lacked sharpness. The effort was there but not the penetration and accuracy. Jones had to choose this match to make 2 mistakes. He should have cut the cross and cleared the header. JM will be ruthless and he'll be out if he doesn't pull his socks up.

A draw away to Stoke is not a disaster but we need to make sure that we don't drop any points at home.

Shwan71 likes this.
  4. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

the typical UTD facing Stoke

5. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

I think Jones will keep his place for now, as I don't feel the players in reserve are any better. He's had 1 bad game, but it was 3 good games before that, and he did well for England too. So it would be harsh to drop him on one bad performance. Bailly was not much better either, and was out of position all the time too.

We had Lindelof in the backline during pre season and he was poor, so I wouldn't be in any rush to bring either him, or Smalling in.

6. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

is tough at the top and we have 4 good CBs..
    he made a mistake, so he has to pay the price for his lack of concentration .. otherwise what example we are setting here?
    and frankly, Jones make me nervous all time at the back, yes he had many solid games this season, but he make those mistakes from time to time and some of his tackles really are reckless and at edge of a red card.

7. King Shergar

He's payed the price, the team has dropped points, and he knows he has let the team down.

You do not drop a player just to punish them. You only drop a player if you believe the player taking their place is better.

Dropping a player everytime they make an error is counter productive, as you end up with a team who are nervous everytime they get the ball.

8. CFC: Champs £launderx17

Will the bus return now?

August 4-0s a distant memory? Shouldn't be after all the ££££ you've spent tbf.

bulletinthehead likes this.
  9. King Shergar

You've spent more than us, and you still got smashed at home to Burnley <ok>

10. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hear the net spend train approaching...

11. King Shergar

It's only because Chelsea where stocked up on assets prior to the FFP rules being implemented, and have been selling off loads of players they had out on loan recently.

I also love the irony of how Chelsea supporters are now moaning about other clubs spending money. Obviously they don't have very good memories.

Christiansmith likes this.
  12. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

It's like Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage accusing others of lying about Brexit...