1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stoke City - Summer Transfer Speculation

Discussion in 'Stoke City' started by sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

I've said for a while that we should forget Jerome and go for Campbell. He's better than him, is a great worker, a better finisher and would be a lot cheaper than the reported £8m that Brum are demanding for Jerome.

EDIT - Sorry Waddo. Because this is Transfer Speculation i'm going to merge this with the Transfer Speculation thread.

2. Pottering

Pottering New Member

I've just heard over a pint that Huth is off to Arsenal? I hope this is bull

3. StokieSmit

StokieSmit Member

I heard this on Friday and also that Dann was coming as his replacement. No idea how reliable the source was though...

4. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

5. THe Mighty Huth Rocks

Just a rumour lads, i'm staying on the stoke boards, could never work with wenger <ok>

6. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

A couple of tweets from a North East based Journalist about our supposed interest in Gyan.

http://twitter.com/#!/paulfraserecho/status/82901606227656705

Not a lot at the moment, sorry. Just know Pulis interested in Gyan. That's about it. Sorry.

http://twitter.com/#!/paulfraserecho/status/82905484952219648

Gyan is officially not for sale, but there's every chance he will move on if the right offer comes along.

I posted the above last week. A little more on that story below from France's leading Sports Newspaper L'Equipe, where it seems to suggest that Diarra would be interested:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/breves2011/20110620_233719_m-diarra-plait-a-stoke.html

Mahamadou Diarra could pursue his career in England.After spending six months unconvincing in Monaco, relegated, the Malian international midfielder, who is now free, would not leave unaffected the English from Stoke City, who will contest the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

7. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Lou on Scott Dann

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...-Dann-hopes/story-12805651-detail/story.html?

STOKE'S chances of landing Birmingham City defender Scott Dann could be over before they have barely got off the ground if Aston Villa are in for him.

New Villa boss Alex McLeish knows all about Dann after their time together at Birmingham, of course, and the player would presumably fancy hooking up again with his old manager.

Gone are the days when a player would think twice about moving from one bitter rival to another, so I don't think Dann will lose any sleep over leaving Blues for Villa.

And that, I'm afraid, is bad news for Stoke &#8211; and their hopes of signing him.

I don't know whether he's worth the £12m being quoted in the national newspapers, but he's done well enough at Birmingham to get himself noticed by other teams in the modern game.

I say that because we aren't exactly over-blessed with top-class centre-halves in this country at the moment.

That's shown by Manchester United having to commit themselves to around £20m for Blackburn Rovers' Phil Jones.

There was a time when top-flight clubs would want a centre-half that could play as well as defend.

But as long as you can defend, that seems to be enough these days.

I don't think we will ever see Kenny Dalglish jumping ship from Liverpool to Everton, or Sir Alex crossing the great chasm between United and City.

But McLeish's decision to anger both sides of the Birmingham divide by leaving St Andrew's for Villa Park shows that managers are becoming like players when it comes to loyalty.

I like Alex, but I do find it quite bizarre that a manager who's just been relegated should be in such demand across town.

Good luck to him because he's going to need it in his new job.

There's no such thing as loyalty when it comes to players, but now that seems to be spreading to managers as well by the look of it.

I remember when I had the chance to join Manchester City as manager back in the 1990s. Peter Swales was chairman at the time and City was a big opportunity for anyone in management.

But I didn't even consider it. It was nothing against City, I just couldn't join the club down the road from Manchester United.

I think anyone in a similar position back then would have felt the same, but not anymore it seems.

Perhaps managers like McLeish, pictured below, have had a bellyful of players &#8211; with the help of their greedy agents &#8211; engineering moves to whoever they like so as to boost their pay packet.

Spurs midfielder Luka Modric is the latest in a long line of players suddenly deciding their present employer is no longer good enough for them.

And no matter how much Spurs protest that he's going to stay, in this day and age you wouldn't bet against him getting his way eventually and moving on to pastures new.

Managers are increasingly having escape clauses inserted into their contracts and that's what Mark Hughes took advantage of to walk out on Fulham earlier this month.

I think Sparky thought he had gone as far as he could with Fulham and was better off getting out of Craven Cottage while his stock was still high.

It seems to have backfired in the short-term because you don't see him getting a top job this summer &#8211; not at the moment anyway.

But he knows he won't have to sit tight for too long before a decent Premier League job comes up in the autumn &#8211; once the annual sacking season is upon us yet again.

8. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Another Diarra story, this time in better English.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6999006,00.html

Mahamadou Diarra says a Premier League club would be his preferred destination next season after being linked with moves to Stoke and Fulham.

The defensive midfielder, a former Real Madrid player, is a free agent after his six-month contract at Monaco expired at the end of last season.

The French club are keen to keep him but ex-Lyon man Diarra is expected to leave in search of regular first-team football following their relegation to Ligue 2.

The 30-year-old claims he has several options, but is targeting a switch to the English top-flight.

Favourite

"Yes, the Premier League is somewhere I would love to play and I'm looking forward to that," Diarra told skysports.com.

"I have other contacts, but a very good club in England would be my favourite option."

He added: "I am looking forward to next season. To be honest, if injuries do not come, I will have a great season."

A move to Stoke or Fulham would come with the added incentive of playing Europa League football after both sides booked a spot in the qualifying rounds.

Reports in the African media suggest Diarra is leaning towards a Stoke move as he looks to relaunch his career in Europe, with manager Tony Pulis understood to be keen on the Mali international.

9. ricc full

ricc full Well-Known Member

If its a choice between Carlton Cole and DJ campbell then Campbell gets my vote as Carlton Cole is overvalued and sheite!!!!!!!!

10. whiteheads_and_higginbothams

On the BBC website now that Gyan wants to stay at Sunderland so that's the end of that dream

11. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...do-Fuller-makeweight-15m-Scott-Dann-deal.html

Stoke manager Tony Pulis is willing to include striker Ricardo Fuller in a player plus cash deal for £15million-rated defender Scott Dann.
    Arsenal are monitoring events as they rate Dann highly and continue to appraise their defensive targets.
    However, Stoke have already tabled a £12m bid for the 24-year-old and are prepared to throw in Fuller as they look to beat off the competition.

Arsene Wenger, in need of a centre-back after missing out to Manchester United in the race for Phil Jones, is monitoring the situation and may launch a late bid.
    Former Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has ruled out taking Dann to Aston Villa because he cannot match Stoke’s offer.

12. I can throw the ball further than Delap

That is a joke! 12m is too much for him to start with!
    Plus west shambles have said that Tommy is on their list to replace green

13. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

I cannot see Tommy dropping down a division, even for guaranteed first team football.

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.u...pt-defensive/story-12813561-detail/story.html

STOKE'S interest in Birmingham City centre-half Scott Dann doesn't mean either Ryan Shawcross or Robert Huth are leaving the Britannia Stadium this summer.

That's the message from director of football John Rudge as City's close-season transfer activity cranks slowly into life.

Dann, a stand-out performer in Blues' defence, is on the club's radar following Birmingham's relegation &#8211; though not at the £12m quoted in some quarters.

And Rudge, pictured below, stresses any interest in another centre-half will have no serious consequences for the futures of defensive lynchpins Shawcross and Huth.

"We are looking for another defender," said the 66-year-old, "as that is an area we feel we need to strengthen at the moment.

"It's nothing to do with Ryan or Robert leaving, it's because Abdoulaye Faye has left the club."

Rudge believes the successful Shawcross/Huth partnership in central defence still has plenty of mileage left in the tank after establishing such a durable double act last season.

Both players made 44 appearances in all competitions last year, with Shawcross, aged 23, captaining the side, and 26-year-old Huth's performances earning him a host of player-of-the-season awards.

"They are both good lads and good players, so you would be reluctant to do anything with them because they can be the future of this football club," added Rudge.

"They are also a decent age, so there's no way you would want to lose them."

Stoke will face stiff competition for Dann, not least from Premier League rivals Aston Villa perhaps, following boss Alex McLeish's controversial move from St Andrew's to Villa Park in the past week.

Stoke still have an eye on Birmingham striker Cameron Jerome following interest in him during the January transfer window, while defender Roger Johnson and midfielder Craig Gardner are also expected to be heading for the St Andrew's exit door in a bid to stay in the top flight.

But Rudge admitted deals with Birmingham could be put on the backburner until they appoint McLeish's successor.

"There might be things happening at Birmingham now that they have gone down," he said, "but things are up in the air until they bring in a new manager.

"I don't think a great deal will be sorted out until that happens."

14. I can throw the ball further than Delap

Me neither but the wages will be better with them
    Or not......
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6998869,00.html
    Get in!:D

Stoke manager Tony Pulis is hopeful of keeping Thomas Sorensen after the goalkeeper asked for discussions over a new contract.

The Denmark international fell behind Asmir Begovic in the pecking order last season and declared earlier this month that he wanted to hold talks over his salary.

His current pay deal is reportedly based on appearances and he is keen to alter the terms of the agreement which has a year left to run.

If that is not an option there is a chance Sorensen will ask to leave the Britannia Stadium, but Pulis is determined to hang on to the 35-year-old.

"We are in a situation where Thomas has come to us about renewing his contract and that is brilliant for us," the Potters manager told The Sentinel.

"Thomas is a vital member of the squad. We will sit down and talk to him and his agent and hopefully get something sorted out."

15. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

16. ProudPotter

ProudPotter Well-Known Member

Have spent the last week on holiday on Lake Garda completely devoid of footy news from the UK. I now know that Chelsea and Brum have appointed new managers but it appears that events at the Brit have been non-existent. Nowt happening yet then?

17. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Nothing major ProudPotter. We've been linked with every Tom, Dick and Harry but nothing concrete. Pulis has said Whelan isn't for sale and Rudge has said that Ryan and Huth won't be leaving.

18. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

Dream on McLeish, Matty's going nowhere.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2008446/Alex-McLeish-eyes-Matthew-Etherington.html

Aston Villa are considering a bid for Stoke winger Matthew Etherington as they consider replacements for Ashley Young and Liverpool target Stewart Downing.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7006220,00.html

Skysports.com understands Stoke and West Brom are chasing Monaco defender Cedric Mongongu.

Monaco are resigned to losing their top stars following their relegation from Ligue 1 and Mongongu is among their most avaluable assets.

The 22-year-old has been linked with the likes of Arsenal and AC Milan in the past after impressing at Monaco over the last few seasons.

Stoke and West Brom are eyeing moves for the powerful stopper as they both look to bolster their defensive options this summer.

Potters boss Tony Pulis is in the market for a new centre-half and has been linked with a move for Birmingham's Scott Dann, but he could switch his attentions to Mongongu if he misses out on Dann.

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson is keen to shore up his rearguard and he could move for Mongongu, who is thought to be available for £3.5million.

19. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...nders-Sunderland-or-Wolves-article752927.html

Tony Pulis has kicked off his summer recruitment drive with an £8million bid for Birmingham stars Scott Dann and Cameron Jerome.

Stoke boss Pulis has moved to test Birmingham’s resolve to keep their players after relegation with a cheeky opening offer for the pair in a deal that could rise to £12m.

Blues are expected to reject the bid for defender Dann, 24, and striker Jerome, 24, but Stoke are certain to return with another.

The Potters’ bid was an £8m down-payment loaded with mega incentives, with the fee rising dramatically if Dann or Jerome earn international recognition or help Stoke into the Premier League top six. But Birmingham rate Dann – also a target for Arsenal and Liverpool – at around £12m.

Jerome has been a long-term target for Pulis and Stoke have moved swiftly to head off interest from Bolton to try to land the former Cardiff forward.

20. sgtpotterslonelyheartsclubband

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...llion-bid-West-Ham-striker-Carlton-Cole.html?

Stoke have made a £3million offer for West Ham striker Carlton Cole.
    The former England forward is one of the club’s higher earners and they are keen to offload him but want £7m. Cole, 27, may struggle to pass a medical, though.
    Stoke manager Tony Pulis is also weighing up a £1m offer for Preston midfielder Adam Barton. The Republic of Ireland Under 21 prospect has also attracted interest from Liverpool.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...nd-full-back-Phil-Bardsley-article753510.html

Tony Pulis is planning a £3million bid for Sunderland’s Phil Bardsley.

The Stoke boss is ready to raid the Black Cats for a seventh time in five years by adding full-back Bardsley, 25, to his target list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.