1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stewie's Corner - The Off-Topic Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by SaintLapras, Jun 11, 2013.

1. antipodean exile

antipodean exile Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

2. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

R.I.P. Jimmy Greaves MBE, the former Spurs and England striker, who has passed away at the age of 81. What a great player he was.....<peacedove> <rose>

3. antipodean exile

Only Fools and Horses actor John Challis dies after long battle with cancer

Not only "Boycie'' but been in Television since mid sixties - R.I.P. <peacedove>

4. antipodean exile

Wooperts_duck likes this.
  5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

6. antipodean exile

Methinks only Sir Bobby George Cohen and Sir Geoff Hurst...................

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

John Jenkins Stadium Fund Receives Huge Windfall
    Government funding means work can begin on community project.

Pompey in the Community (PitC) have been awarded nearly £1 million towards the cost of building the John Jenkins Stadium.

Chancellor Rishi Sunak announced in the Budget that a total of £986,000 would be earmarked for the project from the government’s community ownership fund.

This money ensures the full amount required for the build costs has been raised, allowing Pompey in the Community to put the first spade in the ground.

The John Jenkins Stadium – named after the D-Day veteran and lifelong Blues fan – will be built on the current site of Moneyfields FC in Baffins.

It will consist of two full-size 3G pitches, a five-a-side pitch, a health and fitness gym, boxing facilities, clubhouse, community café and much, much more.

The surrounding grounds will be developed and landscaped to include raised beds for food growing projects, fruit trees and an EcoHub classroom, where PitC will run environmental and education projects.

Clare Martin, CEO of PitC, said: “I am absolutely delighted with this news. We have been working tirelessly over the past few years to raise the funds – which has certainly been a challenge in the recent climate.

“We currently spend more than £120,000 hiring pitches for the programmes we run for 36,000 children and adults throughout the local community every year, often having to bus our teams out of the city to places as far away as Alton in order to find a pitch.

“This new development means that for the first time, we will have our own pitches, a home and a facility the city deserves.”

The John Jenkins Stadium will provide a base for PitC, where they will run projects and programmes for thousands of school children, disability sports groups and members of the public every week of the year.

The sports facility will also be home to Moneyfields FC and Portsmouth FC Women.

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

RIP Lionel Blair who has passed away at the age of 92. <peacedove> <rose>

antipodean exile likes this.
  9. antipodean exile

10. antipodean exile

The RMS Queen Elizabeth pulling into New York with service men returning home after the end of World War 2, 1945.⁣

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey are mourning the death of Joe Laidlaw, who has passed away at the age of 71.

The former Blues midfielder scored 23 goals in 75 appearances for the club between the summer of 1979 and December 1980.

After arriving from Doncaster for a fee of £15,000, he skippered the side to Division Four promotion during the 1979/80 campaign.

He missed the opening game through suspension, but was otherwise ever-present and 17 goals saw him finish as joint leading marksman with Colin Garwood.

Former team-mate Alan Knight said: "Joe was my first captain after I got into the first team and he looked after me.

"He was a great player and those who were lucky enough to see him play will tell you what a fantastically skilful midfielder he was with outstanding vision."

Arguably Laidlaw’s finest display came in a 3-1 victory at Huddersfield, where he netted twice in a top-of-the-table clash.

He remained at Fratton Park for the first half of the following campaign before following team-mate Derek Showers to Hereford.

Laidlaw also turned out for Middlesbrough, Carlisle, Mansfield and Walterlooville, while he managed Petersfield, Fareham, Chichester and Selsey.

Joe’s grandson Harvey currently plays for Pompey’s academy side, while granddaughter Grace is a member of the women’s development squad.

The thoughts of everyone at Portsmouth Football Club are with all his family and friends at this sad time.

His contribution to Pompey will be recognised with a minute’s applause ahead of Saturday’s match against AFC Wimbledon.

R.I.P. Joe Laidlaw. Remember him playing that season we won promotion from League 2 to League 1. Fantastic football brain ! <peacedove> <rose>

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey are mourning the death of Frank Burrows, who has passed away at the age of 77.

The former Blues boss masterminded the club’s rise out of the basement at the end of the 1979/80 campaign.

And the Scotsman then returned to Fratton Park for a second spell as manager at the start of the 1990s.

A former centre-back with Raith, Scunthorpe and Swindon, he helped the latter side stun Arsenal to win the 1969 League Cup final at Wembley.

Burrows moved to the south coast to work as assistant to the great Jimmy Dickinson, replacing him in the dug-out in May 1979.

Astute signings like Joe Laidlaw – who passed away just last week – Terry Brisley and Steve Aizelwood came as a result of the sale of Steve Foster to Brighton.

And Burrows immediately guided the club to Division Four promotion – their first for 18 years – courtesy of a dramatic final day victory at Northampton.

Pompey needed to win and hope that Bradford lost to Peterborough to end their two-year stay in the bottom tier.

They did their job by winning 2-0 and then there was a nervous wait until the 10,000 fans who travelled to the County Ground could celebrate with Frank and his team.

But Burrows was unable to replicate that success in the third division and made way for Bobby Campbell in 1982.

After a stint with Cardiff, he returned eight years later as John Gregory’s assistant, once again making the step up when the beleaguered boss was dismissed.

Burrows departed just 14 months later, however, and managed Swansea before going back to the Bluebirds.

He later worked under Gary Megson at both West Brom and Leicester, having caretaker spells in charge of both.

Club ambassador Alan Knight said: “Jimmy was manager when I made my debut at the age of 16, but Frank was definitely the instigator of that.

“He was instrumental in my development at the club. He knew when to take me out of firing line and that was testament to his man-management skills.

“Frank came to the club when we were struggling and a bit of a shambles. He made it a lot more professional, getting the discipline right on and off the pitch.

“I got dropped after breaking a curfew and learnt a harsh lesson. Without those early days of him mentoring me, I don’t think I’d have lasted long at the club. It meant a lot to me.

“I got to know him a bit more after he left Pompey and he was such a lovely guy – a gentle giant. He will be sadly missed.”

The thoughts of everyone at Portsmouth Football Club are with Frank’s family and friends at this sad time.

First Joe Laidlaw, now his manager Frank Burrows passes away. R.I.P. Frank <peacedove> <rose>

13. antipodean exile

The last British survivor of the World War Two Dambusters raid is celebrating his 100th birthday.

Sq Ldr George "Johnny" Johnson, who lives in Bristol, was a bomb-aimer during the daring operation.

He was made an MBE in 2017 after a long-running campaign which was supported by celebrities such as TV presenter Carol Vorderman.

Mr Johnson was just 21 when he took part in the 1943 operation, which involved experimental bouncing bombs.

"I've had a very lucky life in every respect." said Mr Johnson, on reaching 100 years of age.

"Firstly meeting my lovely wife and our family we produced. That family have been my support for last several years".

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Bit of a surprise - only been in charge for 10 months !

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey Mourn David Deacon

Pompey are sad to learn about the death of former director David Deacon at the age of 81.

He joined the club’s board in 1974, shortly after father John had taken control of the club, and his involvement at Fratton Park spanned almost 30 years.

The Blues were soon relegated to the fourth tier, but then enjoyed a meteoric rise to the top-flight under the leadership of first Frank Burrows, then Bobby Campbell and Alan Ball.

John sold the club to Jim Gregory in the summer of 1988, but David – whose mother Joan also served as a director – remained on the board.

He became vice-chairman in 1992 – the same year that Pompey went agonisingly close to reaching the FA Cup semi-final, losing on penalties to Liverpool after a replay.

There was more heartache to follow a year later, with Jim Smith’s side falling just short of automatic promotion to the Premier League before suffering a cruel defeat in the play-offs.

David resigned as a director soon afterwards, but returned as chief executive and introduced Milan Mandaric to the club.

That led to Pompey exiting administration – and ultimately returning to the top-flight – before Deacon departed Fratton Park in 2001.

The thoughts of everyone at Portsmouth Football Club are with David’s family and friends at this sad time.

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

R.I.P. Robbie Coltrane, who has passed away aged 72 <rose>

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

R.I.P. Pele, probably the greatest footballer of his time (if not, ever!)

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

R.I.P. Jeff Beck, who has passed away aged 78 <peacedove>

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Former Spurs and Pompey defender Anton Walkes has died following a boat crash in Miami on Wednesday. The 25 year old was currently playing for Charlotte FC, having joined them from Atlanta United FC................. R.I.P Anton <peacedove>

20. antipodean exile

R.I.P. Dickie Davies.......