1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve Lansdown Interview.

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

I'm not one who dislikes LJ for who his Father is or the fact that he played for us.

However I think his job is safer than Vladimir Putins and as a Manager his record is hardly going to have a queue of clubs trying to take him away from us.

I just don't rate the bloke.

2. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

So tell us what he's done wrong so far.

3. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Angelic - ignore.
    AD always ask questions, just ask Wiz.

Unless he can answer 'what he's done wrong so far' eg
    Engvall, numerous crocks, Hegeler, O'Neil, Djuric, Captain Bailey Wright, almost 40 signings.

When he's answered that lot ask him to explain Diony and our January window.
    Oh and the £500k fine, nearly forgot

And then do as I - ignore the silly old buffer.

4. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Hey...how about asking what he's done right......oh yes, he has us playing competitively in one of the best leagues in the world.......small point some have forgotten to mention..oops!!<cheers>

BCFCRob and Bigjohnatyeo like this.
  5. Alandicksthegreat

Alandicksthegreat Well-Known Member

Onefor you beat me to it, trouble is you have to be very careful about upsetting Wiz and his spokesperson RP.

Bigjohnatyeo likes this.
  6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Taken us from being a team challenging for the top 6 to mid table obscurity
    Overseen some fairly awful signings
    Overseen the sale of our best players
    Overseen or been part of recruiting average replacements
    Apart from that he's doing a sterling job

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  7. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Don't mention Sterling.

8. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

Some on here certainly dont realise what a fantastic league we are in & what a terrific coach/manager LJ is.

9. Bigjohnatyeo

Bigjohnatyeo Well-Known Member

When are you moaners ever going to learn, if a player wants to leave you cant stand in his way, all three, Flint, Bryan & Reid wanted to leave...In fact I believe we have a better team now. coyr's

10. oneforthebristolcity

Taken us from being a team challenging for the top 6 to mid table obscurity (And the last manager to do that was? GJ and the time before that?)
    Overseen some fairly awful signings (And some very good signings (Tammy being one)
    Overseen the sale of our best players (If they want to go then they have to...but also for very good profit)
    Overseen or been part of recruiting average replacements (we wait and see on that one)

Apart from that, has taken an over decades of a yo yo club from 2nd tier to 3rd tier and turned us into a competitive championship club!
    Forgot to mention that did we?!

11. oneforthebristolcity

I've been upsetting RP since LJ was a player for us!!!

12. Tom_BCFC

Tom_BCFC Billy Bibbit
    Forum Moderator

Last season was our best finish in this league since the 2009-10 season, I'd say we've always been a mid table team

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  13. Redprintt

I've missed you :emoticon-0115-inlov

Thought you were waiting for the 10 games before you wisely comment

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  14. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

It was also Lee that took us into the top 6
    Also I’ve seen some pretty good signings
    Our best players wanted to go , can’t see he had much choice
    Two games is far too early to judge the replacements, bearing in mind the 3 that left went to top end championship or premier league we are not going to get replacements of that quality.
    With all other points answered that just leaves your final remark, “apart from that he’s doing a sterling job”.

15. Redprintt

Come on 1For - LJ 'has turned us into competitive championship club', be fair.
    It's Lansdown's fiscal backing that has kept us 'competitive' so far.

He won't, like some believe, be afraid to get rid of LJ if he doesn't see progress.

AshtonRed likes this.
  16. oneforthebristolcity

You know as well as I do, you can have the backing, but that alone doesn't bring success. But I agree with your 2nd point, SL won't be afraid to get rid of LJ if we look to be going backwards or doesn't see progress....and so he shouldn't...But although I am very thankful for the millions he's put into our club, he's not been the greatest, appointing the right managers in the past (GJ & LJ aside)!!!:emoticon-0103-cool:

17. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

I cant see why peeps are knocking Lee or SL or indeed any other backroom staff...…
    EVERY one on here knows that players have their moments which last for a couple of games... a double handful of games or a whole season!
    we could easily have sold all of the 3 departee's a season ago and pocketed a handsome £8 -10m … and most on here would have been either bleating about bad business or crowing about good business !!!
    we have a limited number of opportunities of actually buying a player … and should we see an Engvall / Fammy / Kodija/ Milan or "OTHER" playing well and having a possible bit of improvement, skill set that "might fit in" we take a chance...……….. we did with Fammy / Kodija and it PAID off ….. sometimes like Mags you have to take a small profit and hope for a sell on clause!
    It is the peeps in the background that do the " yes man " stuff, of course LEE HAS A SAY . but he doesn't sign the cheques, merely has to try and get them in the squad and being worth their salt ……………………… and all 92 clubs have the same problem … that's how we picked up Wiemann, LIKE MILAN / Mags for us he didn't really fit in ………… so take a deep breath and keep it for cheering on city, Lee, players, other coach's and SL ………..

18. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

All this conversation about LJ and management performance made me wonder just where he might stand compared with previous City managers over the recent years and their performances, I have listed them based on win listings as per the attached link,the number of games played and win ratio, it makes interesting reading.

Most successful ~
    Joe Jordan - 50.75%
    Danny Wilson - 47.35%
    Steve Cotterill - 45.69%
    John Ward - 45.24%
    Lee Johhson - 41.67%
    Gary Johnson - 40.17%
    ( Amazingly enough Alan Dicks win ratio was only 33.06% which would have put him right at the bott0m of this listing, the amount of games he managed is over 600 and his honours rating is sky high)

We all know LJ is still a work in progress but it suprised me, he is up there there with some of the best we have had, long may it continue, just to repeat it is only a rough analogy.
    http://www.managerstats.co.uk/clubs/bristol-city/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  19. oneforthebristolcity

The only problem with those stats, is they don't take into account the division they were in at the time....SC's look good, but that was in league 1.

20. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

Agreed but he never had the finance and wonderful setup around him that LJ has had the benefits of but this is an excersise of all the guys that came before and they all had different degrees of conditions, successes, difficulties , competitions and finances, they just had to cope.

The comparison of LJ and SC is irrelevant to me, whether we talk about the brilliant finances, magnificent support of SL and quality players LJ inherited or the singular attitude, stubornness of 352 or organisational weaknnesses of Cotterill, although credit to him he did achieve a cup win and promotion despite his inadequacies.

I did point out LJ's quality, the fact he is still progressing, that his current stats compare well with previous managers, he has made some rediculous mistakes/decisions and the fact that he is our current incumbent means he must be held culpabal and able to stand criticism as well as take all the credit for successes.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    Redprintt likes this.