1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve L simply the best

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Aug 8, 2022.

1. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

In your usual way I didn’t understand a word of that, however I assume you are saying the fact teams with parachute payments dominate the top of the championship is coincidental, so why not just get rid of it?

2. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

not coincidental as the be all.. but read my comments ... a prem team gets relegated with prem quality players even selling 3 or 4 they have a quality base to work on will repeatthe other bit ......again PP designed to pay contract wages of ex prem club players ... sell a couple so money for something else ... like buying a replacement for less on less £pw ... so profit margin is enhanced .....

come down now and you basically have 2 years to go back up

3. AshtonRed

So money does count? It gives them 2, years advantage on clubs that don’t have it!

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

There would be no rid the clubs would still get theirs as a payment for going up. Turkeys dont vote for christmas.

its over three years. its no excuse for City being gash and losing 30m 20m a seasson.

5. AshtonRed

I wasn’t aware turkeys had a vote<laugh><laugh>

of course if doesn’t , but it gives teams with PP an unfair advantage, most teams promoted now are teams with PP in place, that proves it’s unfair.

The thing that made the championship so exciting is any team on their day could beat any other team, that’s becoming less and less as time passes. In the end it will kill the very thing that makes it such an exciting league, it’s really not far from that now tbh.

6. Red Alert

Its fair its their money for getting promoted. Weaklings like BCFC get pushed to the bottom. Like life. Too many excuses made Brentford are handing Man U their arse today. BRENTFORD!! Recruitment Recruitment Recruitment then you have Bristol City spunking millions up the wall on ****e player after ****e player. Simply the best?? Not even ****ing close. Left behind.

Red Robin likes this.
  7. AshtonRed

There are exceptions to the rule, but it’s becoming more difficult by the year, I’ve no objection to whatever they earn whilst in the PL, as you rightly point out it’s what they get for being promoted, but they should equally pay the price once relegated, which at present they don’t imo

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  8. Red Alert

Yeah starting at Bournemouth, Brentford, Burnley, Cardiff lets stop that there. Boo hoo loads of club have had parachute payments as their price for coming down. They earned it. Bristol City dont.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I see Man U are 4-0 down to Brentford.
    Must be down to al the money wasted on ****e players by the previous regime……. <whistle>

10. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

True story

bcfcredandwhite likes this.

11. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

If the league was solely about financial superiority Bristol City would finish above Coventry, Luton, Millwall and Preston

The focus should be on doing the very best with the resources BCFC have. Millwall and Preston exist in this division by spending considerably less than BCFC, we could argue they are also getting closer to the plays off than BCFC are.

Forget the parachute payments BCFC have been surpassed by Coventry, Luton, Millwall and Preston.

12. AshtonRed

Obviously money isn’t the only factor and they’ll always be clubs that punch above their weight, that’s not my point. If you look at the table the top is dominated by teams with P/P, that’s not a coincidence, that’s all I’m saying.

13. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Bristol city-Steve Lansdown has wasted millions and millions under his stewardship.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  14. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Still is!!

Red Robin likes this.
  15. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

currently PP teams are Watford/Norwich/ Burnley .. possibly Sheff utd & WBA 2nd 10th 13th 19th 24th

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  16. AshtonRed

It’s early days yet

17. AshtonRed

You won’t convince me the present pp is right or fair, in my view it isn’t and makes a mockery of the championship.I accept they earn the right to PL payments by being promoted, but equally they should pay the price for being relegated, and play by the same rules and have the same financial payments as the rest of the championship, at present that doesn’t happen pp means they have an unfair advantage.

On a slightly different note, Of the clubs you quoted as being promoted over us how many cheated to get promoted but their penalties were waived because the PL is run by the FA, not the EFL, only to have the penalties reduced or overlooked on their return to the championship. I know not all so it, but many do. Bournemouth certainly did, their penalty was well outweighed by what they gained financially.

18. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

True, but clubs still have to be well run, even with the Prem parachute payments. Many clubs still struggle after relegation, even with those payments. Cardiff, Swansea, Derby and Huddersfield being recent examples. If WBA don’t get promoted this season they will be in a tough spot as well with only one more year of PP payments before they have to conform to EPL rules.

19. Red Alert

You can bitch and moan all you like but thats life. You get the creme by rising and City have had the same opportunities as others. Blackpool Bournemouth, Brentford, Burnley, Cardiff and many many more have been up there getting their rewards playing to rules Bristol City have failed by. Want it earn it and Bristol City havent.

Red Robin and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  20. AshtonRed

We are in agreement really, you say WBA will be in a tough spot without pp, if pp don’t give clubs an advantage why would dropping out of them be an issue?,

I understand the concept of pp, they are essentially to help clubs transition from PL earnings to lesser championship ones, and prevent teams doing what we did in 82 , (when the difference between the two leagues were vastly less than they are now), the problem with them is they give relegated teams a massive advantage over the rest of the championship and are spoiling fair competition. They must find a way to do both, assist the transition from PL riches to the championship, without giving an unfair advantage to the relegated teams.