1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve L simply the best

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by Red Robin, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Steve L has done more for Bristol City FC than any other in its history and we must thank him for that as fans of the club but it is time for new ideas and investment as he said.

We have not moved forward as a football club in the 7/8 years we have been back in the championship.

2. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Be careful to what you wish for...Would you want to go down the Newcastle route?

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  3. Red Robin

BCFC should at least be vying for a tilt at the big time in the last thirty years-apart from the Hull defeat we have never come close.

What comes first fantastic ground or fantastic team-chicken and egg situation.

For me good team you build your audiance and then improve the stadium.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  4. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

We were as close a few seasons ago as we have been since the big play-off final defeat. For the last 2 seasons, well, since COVID hit really, we have been firmly in reverse (this season looks the same). We are now back to the usual BCFC in the second tier, fighting for survival, and I agree, we are a million miles from where we were in 2017-19. I, for one miss the heady days of going into the last 1-2 games of the season with a chance of the play-offs!
    I think SL has had enough of ploughing money into football, and wants out. I don't want the Newcastle option, but with no Russian investors allowed, where else has the money needed?

5. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

Duplicate message:emoticon-0120-doh:

6. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Plenty of teams over the years have gone to the top division with pretty awful or inadequate stadiums at the time
    Luton, Bournemouth, and Fulham are three that spring to mind immediately.
    We are the other side of the coin, with a ground that could easily host top flight matches in some style, but with an owner who now clearly wants out, and team who will be lucky to survive this season in the Championship.

7. Red Robin

If a points deduction of 10/12 points comes our way that could have a massive impact on staying in the championship.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  8. Red Robin

America -middle east-europe there is plenty of money out there -make no mistake the facility's are here just need a team to get us there-fans will sell out @ashtongate week in week out.

9. Red Robin

one of the reasons we are where we are-

We should not forget also the scatter gun transfer policy that allowed the signing of 65 players over a 4 year period under Johnson and Ashton that lumbered us with the 6th highest wage bill in the championship, remember somebody signed off on that.

10. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

Changing the owner wouldn't fix us - whoever owns BCFC will still have to work within the boundaries of FFP - unless they decide to go for a '5h1t-or-bust' strategy, ignore FFP and go for it 100%, accepting the risk that if we failed to go up then we would definitely suffer a points deduction the following season.
    It worked for Leeds and Villa - but would it work for us? SL obviously doesn't think the risk is worth it.

11. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

SL stated the the stadium and Failand costs were funded without interference to the general running so cant use that argument ....
    to be honestly fair since LJ has gone the club has dive bombed backward, since NP took over we have performed abysmally this is based on facts not on personel preferences [ of .. LJ/DH /PS & KD ] my methodology of forcasting had our first3 games as L D D ... I didnt adjust the final run to include Simms for Sunderland and to late now for a rerun takes a few hours to process... so my last prediction drops us a place .. closer to the danger zone .....

12. Angelicnumber16

I'm not a fan of the sh*t or bust option but it needs better vision than we've had.

If it was going to happen, and had Lansdown put his neck on the line, and been truly committed to the cause, then it would be done by now. Who knows, in the right hands we could be a Premier League team right now that's been there for 14 years.

We had the greatest chance imaginable in 2008, but we signed dross during the winter transfer window when a couple of really good signings, even loans, would have possibly got us automatic promotion, never mind failing in the Play Off Final.

A bit like the country, the club has been largely in a downward spiral ever since.

Supcon72 and Redprintt like this.
  13. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Is there something in the water down in BS3 that makes us favourites for failure every season, or is it just apathy?

14. Angelicnumber16

Just lack of management, vision and ambition I’m afraid

15. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

the river avon in the avon gorge takes 000's tonnes of silt out into the channel, next tide brings it back in! ... used to be dredger that took the dredgings outof the harbours out into the channel over time some of made its way back. Bit like BCFC!!! TIDE AND BCFC IN A LOOP .....

note you can see how much silt is suspended in the water ... people play in it from Portishead down past Bridgwater ... when they dredged out the swimming areas replenished by the tides! Admittedly the sewage sheen, the yellowy brown left on top of the mud when the tide goes out is much less than 30 years ago and certainly much much more lacking than 50 years ... when digging for lugs the surface was yellowy brownish orange and condoms were a regular sight!

16. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Mr Lansdown running the club 240% past income was his stategy. Except it is not a stretegy when there are no principles and sub principles being followed.

Mr Lansdown has never been a strategist as the owner of BCFC. The club lurches from austerity to spending miles past income and Mr Lansdown signing his own David James. At this point the club is cutting back because of the largesse of Mr Lansdown. largesse with no long term, or even short term focus.

Mr Lansdown has again recently turned another twenty million pound of debt into equity. Tens of millions wasted to go backwards. The short and long terms? I seriously doubt the owner knows himself.

Changing the owner wouldn't fix us. There is no us. Us is him and a new owner could sort out his **** show. There won't be a new owner, Mr Lansdown structured the FC to strip it off its main asset in Ashton gate to prevent take over and lauchned share issues x club rules, that allow he, and only he to be the owner..

Red Alert and Red Robin like this.
  17. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

He's starting to sound like Donald Trump and it has always made me wonder how a multi-millionaire, who made his money through being an astute businessman, can run such a joke of a football club? How many times have the posters on this site questioned his decisions and how many times did we really know what he was going to do in advance, which was always going to be the cheap option or the easy way out? Bristol City supporters deserve much better than apathy and unless we have somebody who can join up the dots then I fear for this season and realize that all of us asking for reality backed up with action have been wasting our time and breath. Lansdown, no matter how hard I try to mitigate his involvement, is the expediter of our troubles despite all of his monies and it won't change in the near future. We should be prepared for major happenings in the club's structure over the next 3 months if we continue at the current levels followed by total inaction on the field, and that could spell deep trouble.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  18. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

It has not been cheap. Mr Lansdown has spent one hundred and seventy million in the last ten years.
    One hundred and seventy million in the last ten years and not one season in the Premiership.That is unique.

That very significant sum means he has had options to do differently.

The greatest spending and the biggest losses were put behind the greenhorn Johnson with a cv of zero promotions.

19. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Greenhorn Johnson <laugh>

20. Angelicnumber16

A record he still proudly holds I'd like to add <laugh>