1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stephen Lichtsteiner

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by TheBear, Jun 5, 2018.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

First signing of the Unai Emery era at Arsenal.

Stephan Lichtsteiner has swapped the black and white of Juventus for the red and white of Arsenal.
    A hugely-experienced right-sided defender, Stephan made over 250 appearances for Juventus and is the fourth-most capped player in Switzerland history with 99 appearances for his country. He has also been the Swiss captain since 2016.

Should bring some experience and toughness into the side.

www.arsenal.com

sl1.jpg

2. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Wouldn't expect him to start every game, however he should be adequate cover at RB during the long European campaigns and offers experience and know how, even though his legs may have started to go.

3. TheBear

Who knows man. 34 is just a number he could be past his best or.. he could be another Maldini and go on for another 5-6 years.
    Diet, genetics, lifestyle, training regime all play a part.

I'm sure he'll be a good signing for us though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Don't think we would have brought him in unless he's still got something in the tank. I know you can't go by pictures alone, but he doesn't look like a player who's been ravaged by injuries and could pass for a 26-27 year old. Some players in their mid 30's look like they are knocking 50, given the amount of injuries they've had, if they've been rushed back, their lifestyle etc.

We'll see I guess, but I would expect Emery, Mislintat and Sanllehi to have done their homework on him

TheBear likes this.
  5. TheBear

He looked good recently for Switzerland in their friendly against Spain. Showed he still has plenty of pace.

Diego likes this.
  6. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

the only issue with these signings, is I dont think they are signings to take us FORWARD.

I dont think Lichtsteiner is a BAD player to get on a free, but he isnt the type of player that is going to bridge the gap between us and united, let alone city.

HOWEVER, I will reserve judgment until we see him play, and more importantly see Emery's STYLE of play.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Don’t think he’ll be our only signing fella <ok> But we ain’t signing too quality this window without CL football.

I’d be happy to see us sign two or three defensive players that will add experience and steel to back. That alone would make a huge difference for next season.

After that, hopefully with a top 4 finish we can then build for the future.

01 21 Do One and TheBear like this.