1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread STC SAUDI ARABIAN GRAND PRIX 2021

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, Dec 1, 2021.

?

Who will cross the line first?

Poll closed Dec 3, 2021.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

72.7%
  2. Max Verstappen

9.1%
  3. Valtteri Bottas

9.1%
  4. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pierre Gasly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Charles Leclerc

9.1%
  9. Carlos Sainz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I would love to know what Masi and Brawn were saying as Brawn was leaving. Masi seemed to be doing most of the talking.
    After Masi offered third on the grid or it goes to the stewards, who then allocated a 5 second penalty too? Was that the stewards?

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Hamilton and Mercedes are faster next weekend then the FIA have all but guaranteed a crash.
    It's a relatively short run to turn 1 so hopefully it's a relatively unviolent one.

Mercedes need to hope for a 1,2 in quali and then park Bottas on the inside line and just hope he blocks the path to T-Boning Ham.

I've got no faith in next weekend at all. At the start of the year I'm sure most of us would have snatched your hand off if we'd been offered Max and Lewis going into the last race tied on points. But now it just feels deflating.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Horner was talking about the championships ( he had been asked which championship he would have wanted ) .

Hecsaid constructors is where the money is , but drivers is the one everyone remembers . He said you even remember what year Damon was champion
    ( meow)

He then said does anyone remember who was constructors champion that year . Damon said Frank would , Horner said Frank would because that’s where the money was .

4. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Verstappen should have been disqualified for dangerous driving, simple.

I saw the entire race live, wtf has happened to F1

5. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that there was an 'unwritten' rule a good few years ago that if you had to give a place back due to gaining an advantage by cutting a corner you were not allowed to challenge for 2 corners!
    Can't find out what race it was, too much stuff about yesterdays, well I wont call it a race but you know what.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Justjazz likes this.
  6. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I thought they made the rule after the Stewards gave Hamilton a 25sec penalty at Spa for far less in pre-DRS 2008. IIRC he overtook Kimi into the Bus-stop, but carried too much speed and cut the final corner. He slowed to let Kimi pass and then took him into La Source, Kimi said it was fair, but the FIA decided he'd gained an advantage by getting the slipstream down the S/F straight. 25secs put Lewis behind Massa, so the FIA did what they do best and helped Ferrari out.
    It's owned by a media company, that's what happened.

7. ched999uk

That's the one I was thinking about. I seem to remember fia said that after giving place back the driver behind had to wait 2 corners before attacking again.
    Thanks for a great memory.

8. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Weird one that one... in that a new rules was made, then applied. Very bizarre.

9. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That penalty is infamous for never being given before or since. It'll make for a good pub quiz question a few more years down the line.
    The equivalent of giving a driver a drivethrough for not giving the place back good enough. Despite nothing of the kind being in the rules then or now?

Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  10. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

Oh not Sky is it

ched999uk likes this.

11. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

it is quite simple the steward must tell Horner and the helmet that if the helmet makes any manoeuvre that could be an attempt to take one or both out of the race to enable the helmet to win the title by the number of race wins then the helmet get a points deduction (one would be enough) and a massive penalty at the start of next season

If the manoeuvre is deemed dangerous to the safety of the drivers including any other drivers not directly involved in the incident then the helmets gets banned from the first three races next year

if that does not make him see sense then ban him all together, there are plenty of good young drivers to make things interesting

Lewis can retire gracefully after he has smashed all the records set by the original helmet into a footnote in F1 history

12. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I woke up today more angry than I was last night. Verstappen is a dangerous ****.

I bloody hope Lewis finishes the job on Sunday.

13. ched999uk

Just had a look at youtube and I would say 70% saying Max is not driving within rules etc. 30% support him!

Max still has nothing to lose by pushing Lewis off the track or brake testing him again. If they both go off Max wins, if Lewis goes off Max wins.

I'm not sure what FIA could do let alone would do as they will be loving the publicity. Once again I think FIA are avoiding the safety implications they are creating by letting Max get away with so many things scott free, (OK so they give him penalties but they are all meaningless if the don't impact his points).

I really hope Max takes himself out and Lewis and Merc wins the championships.

Justjazz and duggie2000 like this.
  14. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I think any shenanigans like a blatant take out would be punished very seriously. They need to make them aware that in that situation, points will be stripped. We need a good clean race to the end.

ched999uk likes this.
  15. ched999uk

True, but I can see this ending up in court!!!

Justjazz likes this.
  16. Number 1 Jasper

Also he should have been champion in 1994 and that was not the best car .

17. Number 1 Jasper

If and I hope it doesn’t happen , but IF Max takes them both out , he maybe bollocked , financially punished , points on licence ( no matter it resets next year I think ) some course he may have to attend ,etc.

There is. No way on this planet this lot will strip him of his title .

Just my opinion though .

Still anyone can suffer a mechanical failure or accident at any time .

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  18. ched999uk

Quite an interesting vid
    I set it to start as they discuss the publicity that the battle is creating and that's the worry. Sky and Liberty are in this for the money, nothing more. So for them any drama that gets headlines gives them more viewers and more ££/$$ and this is where there is a conflict of interest.
    In fact wasn't the media rights split from FIA due to some perceived conflict of interest - according to Bernie!!
    The more and more I think of this the more I see a conspiracy to produce a battle. I'm not saying they are biased but 'they' have been so desperate to actually have a show they have been manipulating things to create one. Like the 5 place penalty for 2nd component change after allowance to help Honda (ok so that has subsequently helped merc), the change to aero regs that mainly effected the low rake cars, etc.... They have been trying to create a battle and have achieved that but I think it's at the expense of good close racing. I don't think that there was any realistic alternatives to get a driver other than Max to fight. They can't penalise Max as he deserves as then they have no battle and no battle is no more money!!!

I really hope they can talk to the drivers to ensure that any coming together will be met by points deductions. I want a good clean race, with close but respectful battles but I can't see that happening.

Dell Boy, Justjazz and duggie2000 like this.
  19. Justjazz

This management has made Bernie look like a saint. They have supported the rise of an approach to racing that is disregarding the rules.

20. Justjazz

After the race, looking back, it was a terrible moment in F1 history. A race that has permitted the rise of an approach to racing that is disrepectful of the rules. Thug driving. And I, frankly, can not abide Masi. The weasel.