1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Staying up

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by Ransack, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Ransack

Ransack New Member

Just short good luck message from a Gooner hoping you deservedly stay up. Love everything about you're club, the football you play, your manager and your owner. You do things the right way and thoroughly deserve to keep your place in the premier league.

Good luck boys.

2. TenG

TenG Member

Same here, but I don't understand why they don't have more home supporters. Realistically, they are on borrowed time in teh Premier League (it's been a miracle they ahev survived for 6 years, but it's difficult to see them here in another 6 years), yet they are a decent footballing side witha chairman and a manager who deserve to be backed.

It really is a period for the WIgan public to savour, because once they go it will be a long time befiore they get back.

Hope your stay continues for a long time though.

How do your crowds compare to the Rugby side home crowds?

3. WigginTreeHugger

WigginTreeHugger New Member

---------------

Wigan isn't exactly a small town so there is scope for improving the crowds down at the DW however we have Man U, Man City, Bolton, Blackburn, Liverpool & Everton all within a a 30 mile radius. We are averaging 18k a game and last saturday was 22k, the stadium actually only holds 25k so not too far off capacity.

Historically we are a rugby town but the football is making an impact. Not too many clubs have to deal with more established clubs and a more established sport vying for supporters and give it a few more seasons, hopefully, and we will be packing out the DW week on week.

Until we are mid table year on year I can't see us pulling in too many more supporters as we are quite unfashonable as far as clubs go. That is changing with beautifully flowing football and finally decent finishing infront of the net.....watch this space for a new more confident Wigan next season.

4. TenG

TenG Member

WTH - I thibnk you are doing well, to get the crowds you are getting, and it's actually a poor show for RL to say that their top grandee team gets crowds of only a few thousand more than Athletic. It'd be like Salford Reds getting 70,000 compared to Man U 76,000.

My point was that the twons folk must surely realise what a special time this is for the club, and it should be savoured. Also, what has impressed about Wigan last 3 years has been the way the players and staff have dug deep and shown some spirit when all seemed lost. Surely there is much for the town to be proud of in it's football team.

5. ReallyReal

ReallyReal Member

Wigan is a sporting town that more than matches any other in Britain, the thing with football though, is that up until very recently most football fans have supported Utd, City, Liverpool, Everton and even a few others too, with many thousand season ticket holders of those clubs leaving the town every weekend to watch the big clubs just up the road.
    It takes a long time to change that sort of thing and we're only about half way to making a real long term difference, I still see young kids parading around in replica tops that aren't Latics ones, but I also see more Latcis top per week around Wigan nowadays than I'd see in a whole season just a decade ago.
    Another few years in the top flight and we'll have the long term fan base that a town of Wigans size deserves and I bet that some of those big clubs up the road have noticed this too, I personally know half a dozen people who used to have season tickets at Utd, Liverpool and Everton who are now proud Latics fans again, something which they haven't been since their schooldays, now I've just got to work on the other half dozen or so who still prefer to spend a fortune and waste loads of time traveling to and from the Theatre of Hate or Shamfield (only joking with those names :laugh:) and our ground will be full every week before we know it.