1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Starting to lose my passion for Arsenal.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, Oct 19, 2014.

1. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

I didn't lose my passion for Arsenal when we lost the League Cup final to 3rd Division Swindon in 1969 or when we were fighting relegation in the mid 1970's so I certainly don't intend to start now <ok>

2. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

How about when we changed our name from Dial Square? :cheesy:

3. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

I must admit I started wavering when that happened <whistle>

4. Smirnoffpriest

Smirnoffpriest Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad you pulled through lol, otherwise you'd have missed Ted Drake, Alex James and Eddie Hapgood!

5. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

What was life like before Arsenal was formed as a football club? Did you watch the likes of Stoke City?

6. Not PC enough

Not PC enough New Member

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Only one team can win the league or the champions league each season. So the majority of fans are going to end up disappointed in one way or another each season. This isn't a reason to just give up hope though and say 'we're not going to win anything, so what's the point ?' If that's the case then you might as well not even bother supporting us at all if it brings you no joy whatsoever.

8. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Don't think such behaviour would have been tolerated under Queen Victoria.

9. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Only one team can win it, and it seems that one team can never be us.

10. Not PC enough

Not PC enough New Member

11. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

You predicted us to win the league in the prediction thread though. So you obviously thought that we'd be in with at least a chance.

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Not winning the league or champions league isn't what disappoints me. It's the lack of passion or excitement in our football. To be excited by supporting a football team you need either (or both of) (1) exciting and passionate football, and/or (2) success. Let's face it we're never really near (2) apart from the odd token cup but the football we played kept us optimistic in the past about potentially challenging for the big ones. But now that isn't even there anymore.

13. Arsenal87

Whatever I predicted is irrelevant now because we're clearly not going to be winning the league this season, for the 11th year in a row......And I thought we would have at least made the signings we needed when I predicted that and it didn't happen, once again this club fed us false hopes when we thought this would be the season to build on, yet we are worse off now than we were last year.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I don't really share this view. I'm frustrated like everybody else, but I still think we play exciting football. The problem is doing it consistently. If we can get that right then the confidence starts flowing in this team and we can go on a good run. When we're in this frame of mind we are capable of winning the big competitions, but we need to be able to do it throughout the season. The problem with this team (and it has been this way for a while) is that we turn to **** after a couple of poor results as the confidence visibly drains from us.

15. Arsenal87

The sad fact is that as long as Wenger's in charge, we're never going to reach the heights we want to, and that's a fact. Wenger's great years were a life ago, currently he doesn't have what it takes to take us to the top, but if you're happy with consistently challenging for 4th spot and getting the 4th place trophy and consistent qualification into Europe where we do nothing, and keeping the books balanced, then yes he is your man....But if you have higher ambitions then he is certainly not the man and the past 10 years have proven it, more so the last few seasons especially....Just take a look at our record in the big games to see how he has lost it and can't cut it anymore, for the life of me I can't understand how anyone can look at our record in the big games and still defend Wenger as the proper man to lead this club to the top. It's clear as daylight that Wenger will never reproduce what he did during his first years at Arsenal, but some just want to cling to the false hope that he might be able to recreate it, he's had more than 10 years to do it and failed badly, time to move on.

16. Arsenal87

And when exactly are we going to reach this frame of mind? It's been 10 years and counting and all we have are 2 FA Cups, with no league success and no European success. We always hear this talk of when Arsenal are at their best they're good enough to take on anybody, that mantra has gotten really old when it we look at reality and see how piss poor we have been when it comes to the games that matter, just look at our results against the big boys, what happens to this magnificent Arsenal that can beat anybody on their day? We get shown up and it becomes clear that we cannot stand toe to toe with them, results speak for themselves.

Btw last season before our collapse in February we led the league table for 123 days I believe? We were on a very good run of results, good frame of mind, and confidence was high, and then we collapsed as usual, so that kind off refutes your point about them being able to do it when they're on a good run, we led the table for more than anyone last year, how much more of a good run do you want?

17. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

We were looking good for a title challenge last season. Like I said, it's consistency that counts.

18. Arsenal87

And then what happened....We collapsed as usual and ended up fighting for 4th spot again, last season epitomises everything wrong with this club under Wenger currently, we collapse when it matters, and many times part of this collapse has to do with key players that were needed but weren't added, we were dying for another striker to help Giroud last season and we massively hurt ourselves because of it, it's very sad when you think of it because if we did have that world class striker last season we'd have probably won the league. But compound Wenger's reluctance to sign the needed players, mixed with his piss poor tactics, and bad training regimen, and then when it comes to crunch time, as usual we falter.

19. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

The worrying thing about our stlye of play is that last season, I thought we were slow and ponderous due to a lack of speed in the team, but now we have Alexis and Welbeck and nothing has changed, if anything our passing has got slower. Too many touches on the ball, and not enough one touch play.

20. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Just been watching the Man Utd game, and just look at the pace in which West Brom are playing at. Straight from the off, they have just gone at United.