1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Standing on the ball

Discussion in 'Reading' started by Brooking, Dec 18, 2012.

1. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Did we overachieve last season? Absolutely we did. West Ham played us off the park at their place but we won, Southampton played us off the park at their place but we won. What we had last season was resilience and great team spirit, which made up for our lack of skill on the pitch.

Did the club make a determined attempt to set us up for a premiership campaign during the summer? No they didn't, as per usual they thought we could do it on the cheap.

Did the club make a determined attempt to give ourselves a chance of pulling clear of the danger zone during the January transfer window? No they didn't, they still thought we could do it on the cheap.

So, with championship players, a championship manager and the club having a championship mentality, where we are is probably just about where the club deserves to be.

Do we need fans of other clubs coming on here and telling us all this? No, because all except the most blinkered Reading fans could see the writing on the wall last August.

As for Jimmy Kebe and the sock incident, he pulls his socks up at least a dozen times in every game he plays so, regardless of how it looked, it was no more showboating against West Ham than is ever is against other teams.

2. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

great post Suffolk. But I must be a blinkered fan, for I STILL see we have an easy route of escape!!

3. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Well yes daib0, I suppose it does mean you. But you're an eternal optimist so you have good reason!

4. daib0

daib0 Well-Known Member

I'd also mention we were so darned lucky to come away from Brighton with all three points too, now they did have chances to win that one, not least a (failed) penalty!

5. trixter_whufc

trixter_whufc New Member

Hope you enjoyed it. We will have the last laugh though as we wave you off from the Boleyn, back to the championship on that sunny day in May. :1980_boogie_down:

6. Tilehurstsouthbank

And next season, you'll get rid of Big Sam, hire Paulo and repeat history once again, ala Zola. We'll give you a wave as we come back up and you slide back down.

7. Tilehurstsouthbank

Isn't the title of this whole thread a bit misleading? Shouldn't it be 'Sockgate' or something? Oh well, shouldn't expect anything less from these knuckle draggers.

8. trixter_whufc

trixter_whufc New Member

We didnt go down under Zola you doughnut.

9. Tilehurstsouthbank

Oops, excuse me for not knowing the history of a club I coundn't give a flying one for.

10. trixter_whufc

trixter_whufc New Member

Ironically, Paolo is favourite to take over at your place.

Be good of you to train him up ready for when we need a new manager.

11. Tilehurstsouthbank

You mean next season when you're struggling because teams have figured out Fat Sam's 'Hoofball' approach?

It's not set in stone that the Facist will be our next manager anyway.

12. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

If the Reading board take any notice of some of the fans, they won't appoint Di Canio. There is a massive anti Di Canio movement building up. Its going to be interesting to see what the reaction is if he does join us.

13. Brooking

Brooking Member

Absolute joy I am feeling at the moment, Karma has delivered now Fxxk of and don't come back to the premiership until your little club has learnt a bit of football etiquette.
    All the best.
    Brooking :1980_boogie_down:

14. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

I must have missed something. I've been a Reading supporter for 48 years and, for the life of me, I don't know where all the angst between West Ham and Reading fans has come from. Christ, for most of my supporting years, and all of my active supporting years, we were third and fourth division and West Ham were top flight.

Anyway, probably not the response you were hoping to get, but I got no animosity towards West Ham, so well done for the win today and good luck for the future.

15. furiousgrumpywilliam

Come on Suffolk you know you only watch the apprentice to oogle at Mrs WestHam

16. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Sussed !!!!!!

17. Lee263

Lee263 Well-Known Member

Good riddance to bad rubbish, im glad we gave you a final day slap to send you on your way.

18. SuffolkRoyal

SuffolkRoyal Member

Class response Lee, but you still haven't told me why!

All I can think of is that we became something of a bogey team for you. Possibly, specifically, the 6-0 win we got back in our first premiership season. Or perhaps its was the Jimmy Kebe Incident.

Only you West Ham fans know the real reason. But it must be pretty serious for fans of a biggish club to have so much hate against a 'little club from Berkshire' as we're commonly known in West Ham circles.

Anyway, we're out of your hair for the forseeable future so you'll have to find another 'little' club to spit your venom at.

19. furiousgrumpywilliam

Incredible tothink Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst were asscociated with a club that has fans like the one s with verbal dioahhrea we have got on here, If that's whats expected from from big clubs fans will gladly settle for being a small club .

20. furiousgrumpywilliam

Why don't the bitter Hammers reply as quick as they fire insults , bad Brady bunch .