1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Stade Rennais vs Arsenal - Matchday Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BrunelGooner, Mar 5, 2019.

1. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Yep agree although I think its more a.. 3-4-1-2 Rather than shifting Ozil out wide we get the width from the WB's

...........................Leno.........................
    Sokratis...........Koscielny...........Monreal
    AMN.....Ramsey.....Xhaka........Kolasinac
    ...........................Ozil...............................
    ...........Lacazette..........Aubameyang......

Interesting that Kolasinac looks soo much more comfortable in this formation. AMN is doing well but obviously we have Bellerin to come back and I think he is well suited to this role.

Yeah for sure our main priorites should be a quality CB and a creative midfielder. Will also need a back-up keeper and maybe a better Winger than Iwobi/Wellbeck.(although that could be Reiss Nelson)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I’d recall Martinez from reading and stick with him as back up. He’s done well whenever I’ve seen him play. Whislt we’re on the subject of keepers, it has to be said that Leno is looking really good. He’s really confident between the sticks and it reminds me a bit of when we had seaman and an attacker was 1 on 1 and you fancy the keeper to save it.

As for the rest of the squad. A CB would be good, although with Holding coming back it’s not a massive priority if we play 3 at the back. Winger would appreciated, although iwobi is getting better and better. The one area we definitely need to strengthen will be a creative mid.

Whatever the politics/finances around losing Ramsey, he’s going to be a big miss. He’s been brilliant this season.

3. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

Hate to tell you that I prefer Mustafi to Sokratis in that formation. Mustafi is a far better first defender than Sokratis. Sokratis is a far better second defender. If Holding was in, I'd go Holding - Sokratis - Monreal, or Holding - Sokratis - Koscielney. I know you don't like Mustafi, but he plays Emery's high pressing defence better than Sokratis, and if we go with 3 CBs the two outside CBs (at least) have to push up. You can't give them the pass in behind the wing back when they break.

All three CBs pressed really high up against Rennes yesterday and it really made a difference. Yes, they got caught out a couple of times, but it was far better overall than it was in the first game, and we played the offside trap really well. Every time we get passive and sit back too deep and let their attackers turn with the ball, we look vulnerable. Mustafi is far better one on one than Sokratis, he played full-back quite a bit, so it isn't surprising..

4. TheBear

Leno has been quality.

Yeah agree about Ramsey. He's been somewhat inconsistent throughout his Arsenal career but he's a great player to have in the squad. We need a CM who can replace his attacking output. I expect Elneny will be sold.

Holding looks great, Sokratis has been excellent but I'm not sure Koscielny has many years left in him and Mustafi is well below the required standard.

I would love to see us add a young TOP quality centreback. Even if that means spending big I feel its the kind of investment we need to make. De Ligt would be the ideal signing IMO.

Look at what Stones has done for City or Van Dijk at Liverpool.

5. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

You're mental. If everyone is fit then Monreal and AMN go straight onto the bench. Holding and Bellerin straight in. Bellerin was a beast when he came back before getting injured again.
    Koulibaly. Napoli are losing their stars gradually so he should be gettable if we get CL.

6. TheBear

For sure Holding and Bellerin in best 11.

He would be a superb signing. One of the best in Europe and a physical beast.

De Ligt will probably go to Barca. Would love Overmars to bring him over here. He's potentially the best CB of this generation IMO.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree about Bellerin and Holding.

Would love to get Koulibaly. Maybe the game against us will give us an opportunity to tap him up <whistle>

8. ToledoTrumpton

Everyone, except anyone who knows anything about managing. Wenger and now Emery put him in there, but the pundits and fans know best.

9. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Monreal or AMN? I presume Monreal. He's only ever played at centre back when we're short of central defenders, not when everyone is fit. And he's not as good a wing back as Kolasinac. Infinite times better at left back but not as good a left wing back. When have Wenger and Emery ever played Monreal in a back 5 when EVERYONE was fit?

10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Kolasinac is a better wing back, but Monreal plays that left sided CB role really well. He’s a far better LB than kolasinac. It’s just good to have options there really.

Same on the right side, then Bellerin comes back we’ve got a choice between him and AMN as wing backs/RBs as well as Sokratis/Holding at right sided CB

TheBear likes this.

11. ToledoTrumpton

No, Bear was ripping into Mustafi again. I don't know why everyone piles on him so much. I think it has been pretty irrelevant who is playing at CB to be honest. When we turn in a bad defensive display the problems are well evident, before the CBs get a chance to do anything about them.

12. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Oh. But you know you had my comment in your reply, not bears?

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  13. ToledoTrumpton

LOL no I didn't.