1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Squad for the Euro's

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Seabass, May 21, 2024.

1. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Should've done that before Palace snapped him up.

Judge GG likes this.
  2. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Nickson thought he wasn’t good enough

3. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Well-Known Member

We bought Tonali

4. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Maddison and Jones cut from the 33 man squad now.

Leaves 5 more to go but from the list I'd bet my house that Trafford and Quansah aren't making it leaving 3 more packing bags..:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Could honestly see it being 3 of the CB's on that list depending on injuries.

Branthwaite, Dunk, Gomes, Guehi, Konsa, Maguire and Stones is to many for the squad so at least 2 of those are going imo.

Think Guehi and Dunk were playing for their place on Monday and probably didn't do enough. Gomes and Konsa due to their positional variety probably do make it and then Branthwaite is the question mark for me.

If it's two of the CB's leaves one more space and I'd personally think that's between Gordon, Bowen, Eze, Grealish.

Grealish - personally I don't think he should be there but he will be, thought Eze looked great and he's in - so shoot out between Bowen and Gordon for the last space?

5. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Rumours that Branthwaite, Maguire, Grealish, Trafford and Quansah are going to be left behind, along with Maddison and Jones.

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  6. G4rdToonArmy

How wrong can I be... tbh seems like sensible picks from Southgate, Grealish and Maguire I wouldn't have taken but assumed he would have, Quansah and trafford were obvious but slightly surprised by Brantwaite as he is clearly going to be at the next tournament. Guehi and Dunk I'm not convinced should be in there ahead of him.

7. FadgewackeR

FadgewackeR Well-Known Member

Agree - I'd have dropped Dunk out for Branthwaite personally. Like Dunk, but when I've watched him at international level (scarcely, admittedly) he hasn't looked comfortable. If he plays for England like he does for Brighton we'd be laughing.

8. G4rdToonArmy

So looks lile that's the squad:

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal),

Defenders: Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

What would peoples starting XI look like against Serbia next Sunday?

Pickford
    Walker-Konsa-Stones-Trippier
    Rice-T.A.A.
    Saka-Bellingham-Foden
    Kane

For me.

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  9. Rex Kramer

England's side is so overrated

10. Judge GG

Judge GG Well-Known Member

4 Crystal Palace players in the squad.

11. Rex Kramer

England has always been deluded.

12. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

Rightly so

GeordieHalfbreed likes this.
  13. Judge GG

Not sure about Wharton I’ve not seen enough of him but the experience will be good for him.

Apparently Maddison is throwing his toys out of the pram because he’s going instead of him.

14. Seabass

Seabass Well-Known Member

All the reaction from Madison I have seen has been very good. I think that's bs. I've not seen that much of Wharton but I've read the whole England camp has been really impressed.

15. Rex Kramer

Good

16. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

I'd have taken Grealish over Eze. I've never been overly impressed. Think Grealish helps make the ball stick and is maybe an option if you're just getting pegged back and need someone to buy some time or fouls. Eze's really unproven.

Not bothered about Wharton/Maddison debate. Maddison's arrogant, and doesn't fit into the 4-3-3, he's an out and out 10, when we've already got Bellingham, Foden, Palmer and even Gordon. Wharton looks assured and more of a next-level or someone who can step in for Rice if we've won the first two.

However, Dunk over Branthwaite is just madness. Dunk is slow, clumsy and had a poor season, plus he's 29. Branthwaite was pivotal in Everton's excellent defensive efforts, is left footed and should be there. He should almost be starting alongside Stones or on the left side of a 3 as well. Every tournament there's always a stupid decision, this is that one for me.

17. FadgewackeR

He looked really comfortable when he came on the other night. Good player. Wants the ball and is always on the scan.

18. FadgewackeR

Agree, bar the Grealish thing... Eze needs to go. A real danger. Grealish has turned into a plodder.

Mick O'Toon and Obi Wan like this.
  19. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Well-Known Member

He is - but that’s kind of the point. Grealish used to be thought of as a “come on and change the game” type, he’s not that player now, he’s more a “let’s see this out” kind of guy. I just think he’d be a good option, regardless of the fact Eze is more dangerous.

FadgewackeR likes this.
  20. Judge GG

I’ve seen him once I think and he looked solid.

But I wasn’t blown away by him. But would still have him over Longstaff.