1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Spurs v Saints Sunday 19/3 at 02.15 pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Mar 10, 2017.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

In all the general misery, I forgot to mention JWP. That goal didn't win us the game, but saved our face and more importantly would have done wonders for James. He should be scoring more goals than he does....good to see this one go in before he goes on international duty.

2. fran-MLs little camera

3. fran-MLs little camera

AshbySaint and davecg69 like this.
  4. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

A Leap In The Dark. We started playing there around '87 I would think. Played there a lot plus the other dives around town.

5. Lff

Lff Well-Known Member

Just. We were good in patches but very poor in patches as well. To be fair though Spurs put us under enormous pressure from the off. Every time one of our guys got the ball he was pounced on. And they were physical with it, borderline occasionally and with no help from the ref.

Regarding Boufal, he obviously needs more game time. There is no doubting his technical ability but when he comes on with 10 minutes to go he tries to do too much to showcase his talent. Its the same old story really; its nice to get some consistency in team selection but you need to somehow balance that with stopping those not selected from getting rusty.

Long is a case in point. At the start of the season he wasn't getting the passes into space that he thrives on and he struggled. Yesterday he was getting those passes but he was too eager and kept getting offside. Hopefully it will all come together against Bournemouth.

Finally, I really can't stand Dele Alli (I nearly wrote Ali Dia there for some reason) but he's a clever footballer for sure.

6. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Oh the FB page is a complete joke. I look at it every now and then for a laugh. Then, if I want a bit more fun, I'll post something to wind the tossers up and watch them go ape :emoticon-0102-bigsm

7. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Playing in the three of a 4-2-3-1. I am sure JWP will score more goals but bear in mind where he has had to play for the first 2/3 of the season

8. AshbySaint

AshbySaint Well-Known Member

He is without doubt a good player, but he also dives, cheats and gets other players into trouble

9. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

The summarizer on Sky hinted at that, said that "Spurs can be a physical side at times" - Which I read between the lines to say that they get away with a few dubious tackles!

10. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the game,w as fortunate enough to sit in the posh seats for this, right by the Directors Box. Couple of interesting things, when the players arrived (both coaches basically arrived at the same time) there was a lovely moment where Poch walked with his arm around Jack Stephens, obviously congratulating him on his progress. Really lovely touch and reinforces why I like him so much more than Koeman.

Also to those who have already met Kelvin and remarked at what a legend he is - I would have to reiterate! The Spurs fans around me were extremely complimentary on the way we played. Romeu was absolutely superb. Dembele was majestic on the ball but doesn't influence the game without it like Romeu does without it... but they were the two standouts. Redmond was superb. Fantastic midfield battle though and a very high standard of football.

Loved the "Andre Marriner, he's one of your own" chants from the away end - top stuff!

11. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Just watched the highlights on the OS, three great saves from Fraser, but criticism of him for not commanding his area. The Dusan penalty shows a clear kick above Dusans knee, but he went down rolling around clutching his shin, no wonder the Referee didn't buy it. The first goal saw our defence parting like the Red Sea and Fraser slow to get down.

12. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

The miss from Tadic when the ball was incorrectly deemed to have crossed the line, was atrocious. His shot from a similar position vs Liverpool away in the cup semifinal second leg was at the opposite end of the spectrum, but just as dire really.

13. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

And Rooney.

14. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

James Ward-Prowse has scored three goals in 21 Premier League appearances this season; the same tally as he had scored in 107 Premier League appearances before 2016-17.

15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This may have something to do with the fact that he is, at long last, being played in a creative and attacking role, instead of at CDM where both Pochettino and Koeman, and indeed Puel in the first half of this season, insisted on putting him. His overall game has come on by leaps and bounds in the games since Manolo signed: tackling, distribution, crossing, set-piece delivery, and crucially, playing those exquisite through balls for Gabbiadini to run onto. The fact that he can now finish off chances like the one yesterday is the icing on the cake.

It's not just Tadić whose general performance has been improved by signing a striker like Manolo!

OddRiverOakWizards and Qwerty like this.
  16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Maybe JWP has benefitted from shooting practice in training. Add goals to his game and he becomes the player we all hoped he could be.

Tadic needs more work on that, obviously.

17. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

Tadic's histrionics yesterday were borderline laughable. He stayed down in the box while we were attacking which really pissed me off. Needless to say, he was fine.

18. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

He made the run into the box, that's why he scored. More of that and goals will come.

19. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Shane Long (who I'm not knocking, just using as an example) has been making runs into the box for his whole career, and still the goals aren't exactly flowing. So I'm not sure it's that. I think JWP scored yesterday because he showed a composure that has hitherto been lacking.

20. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Shane's stats would be good for a midfielder. :D

fatletiss and Archers Road like this.