1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Spurs v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by glazerfodder, May 14, 2017.

1. King Shergar

King Shergar Well-Known Member

So we are supposed to give a toss about the project Poch and Levy are apparently building at Spurs and not target any of their players. We should hang our heads in shame you say <laugh>

So Spurs never target and unsettle any players from smaller clubs than themselves? You never buy players from smaller teams that are doing well?

It is the food chain effect at the end of the day, and we are 1 step further up it than you guys. But every club is at it.

You can moan about the money we spend, but our club has earnt the right to spend the way we do, and that's from years of success. Our club was not founded with a massive global fan base and huge revenue. We earnt that.

I can kind of understand the bitterness towards City and Chelsea as they did get lucky with the owners, but then again I'm sure no Spurs fan would have been complaining had Roman Abramovich bought you guys instead of Chelsea.

You guys do have a top group of players at the moment, that you've done well to build, but you are in danger of not taking advantage of it. Yet another trophyless season, and it will only be a matter of time before that team is broken up, and you drop back down to the 6th - 7th placed team that you generally have been for the most part of the PL :biggrin:

glazerfodder likes this.
  2. You have spent a long time putting your reply together, KS, so I think it deserves the respect of my making a full, frank and honest response. I will do so without wummery.

Most certainly, you should. You've got to get past us, having failed miserably to do so, for the past few seasons.

This season, we have taken your place at the top table.

I think so.

Giving Mourhino the United job was always likely to lead to these kinds of shameful antics. Why do you think the likes of Bobby Charlton were so antagonistic to his appointment?

Firstly, I do not consider that Spurs is a "smaller" club than United - which statement is strongly implied in your question.

Sure, United is a richer club (although how much of that money filters down to the manager, as opposed to going towards clearing the club's colossal debts, is open to debate), but I don't see that fact having made much of an impact in the market, over the last couple of seasons.

I don't think the top players necessarily see "going to play for United" as that big a deal, these days.

And the so-called "top players" you get always seem to choke at OT. Whether it's the effect of playing at the so-called Theatre of Dreams or having to play along side the likes of Fellani, I don't know. The fact that you now have Mourhino ham-fistedly trying to import, wholesale, the entire backline of a better team speaks volumes, as far as I am concerned.

I whole-heartedly agree with this.

These days, of course, United are no where near up that food-chain as once they were.

And, from what I can see, things are only going to get worse for you.

<laugh>
    Stop that, right now!

I'm trying to be serious ffs!
    <laugh>

Yes, you will always have your history to look back on.

The 80s and 90s must have been very special for you, yes?

Whatever is happening today, and whatever may happen in the future, you will always have your wonderful memories. Just as Leicester do, and Blackburn. Oh, and 'Pool.

There is no bitterness towards either of those clubs, only pity.

You will find that most Spurs fans will tell you, with understandable pride, that we are glad we have not become the plaything of a vengeful oligarch. I wouldn't be surprise if Joe and Daniel told him to **** off, tbh.

Every time we finish above Chelsea (last season, for example) and City (last season and this season, for example), it brings a big and knowing smile to the face of every Yid. There's always a cheeky, rakish twinkle in my eye, Shergy, but that smile creases my chiselled squared features every time I think about how "having taken the Devil's shilling" has done very little for these clubs.

Plus, for every Abramovic there is an Al-Fayed waiting in the wings, ready to erect a statue in honour of Michael Jackson right in front of the ticket-office.

Yep.

Ah, that's a shame. You've fallen into the hack-media trap of assuming that just because Spurs haven't won the title just yet, that Poch has been a failure, and we're spiralling downwards, when the opposite is patently true!

Poch has finished 3rd and 2nd in successive seasons, breaking club records on each occasion.

With our new academy set to churn out a factory-line of new talent, every season, and with the plastic wrapping about to be taken off our spanking-new state-of-the-art stadium, only the most bitter of rival fans would declare anything other than that the future looks very good for Spurs.

That statement is true for most clubs.

Nothing in that statement detracts from what I have written, above.

Time will tell.

You are obviously a "glass half-empty" man; whereas I like to view us as having a "glass half-full." You see nothing but doom as chaos in the tea-leaves at the bottom of the Spurs tea-cup; I see something very different. I see us continuing to kick the arses of clubs like United, 'Pool and Arsenal, dishing out footballing lessons, and climbing to new heights of glory. I see you remaining in our wake for several seasons to come, just as 'Pool have been.

At least you have your past dreams to cling to, though. No one ought to begrudge you those. I certainly do not.

Peace, my friend.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  3. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Delusional. You are a feeder club - Sherringham, Berbatov, Carrick etc - you always will be, but for the closed season you can dream like Leicester did - and then, sadly, the reality will come around again.

4. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

You'd think Spurs had never bought a player from another club HIAG. We know this is bollocks so you're just wasting your time and breath.

5. King Shergar

I would love to know what you've been smoking today.

You've had a couple of good seasons by your own standards and now your apparently kicking everyone's arses.

You might have finished above us in the league, but you've still won nothing, and haven't won anything for years. In the last year we've been to Wembley 3 times and won 3 finals. We've now got a chance of a 4th at the end of the season.

When was the last time Spurs actually won any silverware?

6. Stan

Stan Stalker

^^^^^
    #didntread

In Spurs' best season for decades United still won more than them :azn:

7. Stan

Stan Stalker

He was prattling on on the PL board about how Mourinho tried to unsettle Spurs by signing Modric for Chelsea. I pointed out that Mourinho wasn't the Chelsea manager while Modric was at Spurs. HIAG then became unhinged. I prescribed Prozac.

8. I actually take it as a compliment to lowly Spurs that we've got the media trying to sell off our manager and all of our players; and the fans of rival clubs all saying rubbish like "yeah, well, what have Spurs won?" for the second season in a row.

We are clearly doing something right, and getting under the skin of a lot of people.

Keep up the good work, Levy/Poch!
    <laugh>

9. Blimey!

You do like to make a mountain out of wum-hole, Afro Stan!

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

And he came back disguised a Southampton fan?

Page_Moss_Kopite likes this.

11. King Shergar

12. Finishing above Arsenal, for the first time since the early 90s, is certainly something to take note of. It is something that has been on the cards for several seasons, as we have steadily closed the gap on our bitter rivals, over the last decade.

If it was an isolated season, it could easily be written-off as having little significance, other than the fact that Arsenal had a poor season. However, I don't think Arsenal had a particularly bad season, any more than the last four or five seasons were poor. The fact is that we have grown stronger and more consistent with each successive season, over that period.

Next season is going to be a tough test for us, because of the Wembley factor. We have a ready-made excuse, therefore, if our season isn't as successful for us as the past two or three have been. I'm sure that Levy and Poch are more than well aware of the situation, and will have made just allowance for that eventuality.

13. Stan

Stan Stalker

I like to make you look like a numpty.

14. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

When was the last time Spurs even won a game at Wembley, let alone a trophy - home ground for 17/18 my arse, more like a graveyard

15. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm pretty sure that's just your track record.

Have good season, sell players, have **** season, buy more players, have good season, sell players, have **** season, rinse, repeat.

It's the Tottenham way <ok>

16. Hm.

It wasn't like that last season, though. We had a good season, and didn't sell any of our star players.

Are you predicting things will be different in the Summer transfer window, this season?

17. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I predict a riot.

But then I've been predicting that since 2005.

Still, usually a fair bet where Tottenham is concerned <ok>

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  18. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Yep, Arsenal are definitely in decline <ok>

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  19. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

I am coming to this argument late.

I have always had a soft spot for Spurs (from the time of Gilzean, Chivers and all that). They have been the team I'd like to win the title if we don't do it ourselves.

Having said that, last season and this were Spurs best chances. Next season, will be very difficult and I can't see Spurs doing well at all . Wembley where they have done pretty badly. Then losing players to bigger clubs here and abroad. And then there is period of drift. I can see the same scenario as the RS. They came very close and by losing their best chance of grabbing the title, they are as remote from it as ever.

20. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think Spurs will be one of four genuine title contenders next season, along with United, Chelsea and City.

Then you've got the journeyman pretenders in Leicester, Everton, Arsenal and Liverpool.

<ok>