1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spurs Music Forum

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by littleDinosaurLuke, Feb 3, 2017.

1. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Most people will rightly expect to be able to pick mine in advance....and not without good cause.

So, here's a list of stuff that I like to play from outside the punk/new wave envelope

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Elton John)- possibly the best album of all time?
    The Stranger - (Billy Joel) - another parental influence;
    Boys & Girls (Bryan Ferry) - music to make love to;
    Wonderful Life (Black) - see Boys & Girls (Bryan Ferry);
    Beggars Banquet (Rolling Stones). For me, they were far better with Brian in the band;
    Any decent Chuck Berry/Roy Orbison collection;
    Rum, Sodomy & The Lash - (Pogues) - what an album;
    Lexicon of Love (ABC) - a great pop album;
    Sign 'O' the Times (Prince) - genius;
    Different Class (Pulp) - better than Blur and Oasis combined, by a ****ing mile.

Ask me on a different day and there'd be 4 or 5 changes but for today...

The Changing Man and Alfie Conn like this.
  2. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Way too much information about the Bryan Ferry and the Black albums Brian and not going to argue about the Pogues or Pulp
    Madman across the water takes me back to such a great time in my life so that has to be my Elton album of choice

3. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

The band unit Bowie had during the "Station to station" era would make
    any live gig quality very close to the LP sound.

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

Sorry, I'm always going a step too far.

However, it was a category that me and my mates used to discuss from time to time, when such things were important. Sade's Diamond Life was always towards the top of the list, as was Rumours by Fleetwood Mac.

Personally, Boys & Girls is king. However, it barely lasts 30 minutes, so not much time for foreplay.........Bugger, I've done it again, haven't I?

5. Alfie Conn

Tricky subject sex music , pick the wrong album and you will need the stamina of a tri athlete and in need of a defribulator, the trouble I got in once with an ipod on shuffle , started with a Jeff Buckley track but next was Motorhead Ace of Spades <doh>

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

<laugh>

7. Alfie Conn

Dug out my copy of Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti and found a ticket stub 3 rows from front and centre , Earl's Court 1975 price .........£2.50 What would that seat be worth today , I paid £30 to see an Australian Pink Floyd tribute act this July

8. Alfie Conn

37 yrs ago this week the Jam called it a day , I can still remember the gigs at the Greyhound Fulham and Hope and Anchore Islington , beer stained sweat boxes but wow what energy also saw them in a boozer in High Wycombe and Leighton's Buzzard where the local old bill decided to turn up and shut the gig down due to noise , nearest house was 100 yards away and a "small disagreement ensued "

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For all the Russian sportsmen and women who are banned:

Edit: Found the official video and it's actually more mental.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  10. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I like Brian have nailed by colours firmly to the punk/new wave mast, and its probably obvious that my love of the music of Paul Weller and The Jam is matched only by my love for Spurs. As for Live Albums - I will offer up The Who with Live at Leeds, Motorhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith, Five Live - The Yardbirds, Ocean Colour Scene - One For The Road, Thin Lizzy -Live and Dangerous, Frampton comes alive, and Dire Straits - Alchemy.

As for other albums that stand aside from my 'normal' listening -
    Ogdens Nut Gone Flake - The Small Faces
    The Dirty Truth - Joanne Shaw Taylor
    Box Frenzy - Pop Will Eat Itself
    Come Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
    Snapshot - The Strypes
    Life in a Beautiful Light - Amy MacDonald
    Welcome to The Beautiful South
    Long Player - The Faces
    Like I Used Too - Lucy Rose
    Electric Landlady - Kirsty MacColl

11. Alfie Conn

Faces ,long player, maybe I'm amazed has got to be up there with Debris as the brilliant album tracks

The Changing Man likes this.
  12. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example of why the modern generation will simply not "get music" the same way we did. You save up your money, you walk or get the bus to the record shop, you browse through the album covers, you buy the album. You buy one album at a time and can't wait until you get home to put it on the turntable. Several physical steps need to be taken to make it play. In the case of GBYBR, you also get a really well presented sleeve with lyrics etc (actually perhaps even surpassed by Elton's Captain Fantastic with it's booklet). It's a tactile link to the music that you simply can't get with an MP3, plus you've invested far more time and effort into getting and listening to the thing. As a result I'm not sure what the MP3 generation are actually missing, or how it will affect them, but surely all these things add up in forming a person?

13. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Vinyl has actually made something of a comeback.
    CDs are basically dead, but the difference in sound quality and the physical product itself has kept records alive.
    There's a trend towards selling the digital product and the album together, which makes sense.

14. "Thanks for that Brian"

I've got framed record sleeves hung around my house. These things are dynamic art and remind me of great times in my life. People are drawn to them and it normally leads to chatting about the stuff that makes life fun.

Both my daughters have record decks and their own record (vinyl) collections. Very occasionally, they'll dip into mine. VERY occasionally.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    The Changing Man likes this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

They're back...

16. "Thanks for that Brian"

Listing The Pogues in my favourite albums has led to a lot of their stuff being played in the last couple of days.

These 2 mean a great deal to me for differing reasons. So vibrant, beautiful and evocative...

...so many ghosts.

17. "Thanks for that Brian"

I've just come across this for the first time in a few years. It gives a really good idea of the nature of The Damned live. It's always got a free form element to it with mates turning up on stage to join in - here Henry Cluney (ex-SLF) and some of The Alarm to play 20th Century Boy

As The Captain say, they were on Marc Bolan and T Rex's final tour and Smash it up's intro was written to commemorate his death.

No gigs until April next year.........<yikes>

18. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

19. "Thanks for that Brian"

On a depressing day, something to enjoy...

...by the time this government is finished with us, we're going to feel like we've been 'taken round the world' numerous times.

20. Alfie Conn

The same can be said about attending gigs , in my previous post about finding the ticket stub in the album cover I can remember driving up to Earl's Court at 1am and queuing until 10 am before the box office opened, all you have to do today is be quick on the keyboard hence why there are so many tickets sold on to the touts and agency's, if you had to put the legwork in to get the tickets you would not be likely to sell them on so easily