1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

SPUD U LIKE

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by omogooner, Jun 1, 2019.

1. omogooner

omogooner Well-Known Member

I was pretty undecided as regards the outcome of today's game. Spuds over the past few seasons seem to have overtaken us, it would have been intolerable in my neighborhood (as I leave in Cheshunt) if they had won the cup. I can also take solace in the knowledge that, for all their improvements, they have nothing to show for it by way of trophy apart from them doing a spursy when it matters. I still wonder how they must have felt when we dominated the landscape in swashbuckling style... I cannot even imagine if they had won tonight...

I really hope we can really get out acts together and take our place at the top table!

01 21 Do One and gooner4ever like this.
  2. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

I also feel like the rivalry dies down a bit when the two clubs are so mismatched. When we were close together for a few seasons it was heated. It's not so interesting when it's not even really a competition. They're currently just quite a lot better than us.

3. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better we have a different opinion of them.

Sucky likes this.
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

5. omogooner

I agree they are better than us, however I disagree it is quite a lot. The gulf in quality is not insurmountable (like Liverpool or City) that one could argue are 4 years above us. Spuds gulf in class could be overhauled in a transfer window...

PINKIE likes this.
  6. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Exaclty. They are only 1 point better than us. They lost more games than us in the league last season too. In a season that we were predicted to finish anywhere from 6th to 10th, Emery has done okay. This summer he will be able to build on the squad (we're not going to do it all in one window) but next season I expect us to be better.

Spurs face losing Alderwiereld, Rose possibly Eriksen and some others soon. And are Kane and Alli the force that they were a couple of seasons ago ? The expectation on Spurs is huge now to deliver silverware and I think they are going to crumble under the pressure.

7. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

Spurs are us ca. 2008-2013. I supposed that’s a compliment since that’s just what they wanted to be. I am not worried about them because I expect every single one of their good players to jump ship in the next few years because, like us ca 2008-2013, they haven’t won anything.

gooner4ever likes this.
  8. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

slight difference is that they appear to have more transfer funds now than we did back then... they're bidding £50m+ for individual players at any rate which we weren't doing back then.

gooner4ever likes this.
  9. omogooner

Also one key difference to us back then, is that they have managed to secure their prized assets to long term contracts, unlike how we let ours back then almost run down their thereby reducing their market value. I reckon, if they decide to cash in on Alli, Erikssen, Kane etc, they could quite easily raise 200mill in today's market and they could do a Liverpool by re-investing to strengthen the overall team. Daniel Levy reminds me of David Dein i.e. the brains behind the project....
    However, like you said they have not won anything, they have come close a few times just we did in the Premier League and Champions League!