1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring / Summer / Autumn / Winter PFC News

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Portsmouth continue to run rule over Lewes youngster Taylor Seymour.
    please log in to view this image

The Lewes keeper is on trial with the Blues and a decision on his future won’t be made for another two weeks.

He’s featured five times for the academy and has also lined up twice for the reserves.

Seymour, who has represented England Colleges, played in the 2-2 Premier League Cup draw against Exeter last week as well as Tuesday's 1-1 draw at Plymouth Argyle in the Premier League Cup.

His performance in treacherous conditions at Home Park impressed Liam Daish, who was in charge of Pompey.

But the professional development phase coach admitted the Blues won’t decide whether they’ll offer Seymour a deal for at least a fortnight.

Daish said: ‘Taylor has come in and he was very assured. It was difficult conditions at Plymouth but he was very tidy in his play.

‘Each game I’ve watched him, he seems to have settled in a little bit better.

‘Maybe that has come from confidence because it is hard for a triallist coming in, especially as a goalkeeper.

‘He probably hasn't worked enough with his team-mates and the back four and has had a lot of games without too much training.

‘On Tuesday, he looked very assured and pulled off some good saves.

‘I think it’ll be discussed in the next couple of weeks. I know he’s on a four-week trial and is probably two weeks into that.

‘So after that, we’ll sit down and go from there.’

If he is signed by Pompey, he will become a second year player in the academy.

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Former Ipswich Town defender Tommy Smith a transfer target for Portsmouth and Wigan.

The 6' 2" defender has been training with the Blues' Under 23 side since returning from a two-season spell with MLS side Colorado Rapids, with a move back to English football now looking likely. He is a free agent.

Huddersfield have previously been linked with a move for the 29-year-old central defender, with Championship rivals Wigan now joining the chase.

The Latics are currently 23rd in the Championship and face a fight to stay in the second tier, with Smith thought to have been identified as a player who could help sure up Paul Cook's backline.

Portsmouth are also interested, with the Fratton Park side very keen on bringing in a left-sided centre-back following the departure of Matt Clarke to Brighton in the summer.

He made 247 appearances scoring 21 goals for Ipswich Town until he left in 2018, prior to his two years playing in the MLS. He has appeared 38 times for New Zealand.

3. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Alex Bass has put pen to paper on a new three-and-a-half-year Pompey contact.

The deal will keep the 21-year-old goalkeeper at Fratton Park until the summer of 2023.

Bass has appeared 13 times for Blues since graduating from the academy, making his debut in a League Cup tie at Coventry in 2016.

He has already featured nine times during the current campaign, including in last weekend’s victory over AFC Wimbledon.

“I’m delighted to be here for such a long time and it came out of the blue,” said Bass. “I certainly wasn’t expecting it.

“The league matches are completely different and there’s extra pressure on them. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the ones I’ve been involved in and there are hopefully many more to come.

“I thought it would be another season of playing in the Leasing.com Trophy games and gaining my experience from them.

“So I didn’t expect to get the opportunity I’ve been given, but I’m obviously very happy that I have and it’s an honour.

“It’s a massive privilege to be in the team ahead of someone like Craig MacGillivray, who’s a very good keeper and has been away with Scotland.

“We work hard together as a unit and it just goes to show the strength in depth we’ve got in that department.

“It’s been a good season for me, although it’s just the start and now I’m really looking to kick on in the second half.

“There are always areas where you can improve and I’m still only young, so I’m keen to continue developing.”

4. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Bognor snap up midfielder released by Pompey

Josh Flint has signed for the Rocks.

The 19-year-old midfielder has impressed since switching to Bognor, initially on a loan deal from the Pompey academy.

He has now been let go by the Blues - and the Rocks have been quick to make him their man.

A Rocks tweet said: "Welcome, Josh Flint! The young midfield prospect has signed for the Rocks after being released by Pompey today. Josh is a familiar figure at the club, having already played for us this season on loan - he goes into the squad for the Isthmian League home game versus Folkestone tomorrow."

Flint, from Waterlooville, had been with Pompey since he was 11.

Another young player released by Pompey, defender Joe Dandy, has also been playing for the Rocks while Dan Smith, who left the Blues last year, is Bognor's top scorer. In addition the Rocks currently have defenders Harry Kavanagh and Matt Casey plus striker Brad Lethbridge on various loans from Fratton Park.

5. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Former Portsmouth striker Nicke Kabamba completes Kilmarnock switch from Hartlepool United.
    Hartlepool United striker Nicke Kabamba has left the club after agreeing an 18-month deal with Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock.

Pools accepted an undisclosed bid for the striker on Friday morning before terms were agreed.

Kabamba spent almost exactly a year at Victoria Park after initially signing on loan from Havant & Waterlooville in January 2019.

The 26-year-old impressed during his temporary spell as he netted seven times in 17 matches which was enough to convince the club to sign him up permanently at the end of the 2018-19 campaign.

After a slow start to the current season, Kabamba finally started getting amongst the goals following a change in management.

The former Portsmouth man netted seven goals before securing a move north of the border, for an undisclosed fee.

The transfer leaves Pools slightly short up front with Niko Muir their only available striker should Aidan Keena’s international clearance not come through in time for the Yeovil Town visit.

6. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth midfielder on trial at Crawley Town with view to loan move.

Adam May is currently on trial at Crawley Town.

The midfielder’s hoping to impress Reds boss John Yems and earn a loan switch to the League Two side for the rest of the campaign.

May, who is out of contract at the end of the season, returned to Pompey earlier this month following a frustrating spell at Swindon.

Despite joining the Robins on a season-long loan in the summer, he was confined to a bit-part role.

May made 13 appearances for the fourth-tier leaders, with only five coming from the outset.

The Blues are keen to send the academy graduate back out on a temporary basis for the remainder of this term – with Crawley potential suitors.

Pompey assistant manager Joe Gallen said: ‘Adam is currently on trial with Crawley. He is there with a view (to join them on loan).

‘He needs to get back playing football. Adam went to Swindon hoping to play but didn’t, so he needs to get out and play some games to get his career going.

‘If Adam is happy to go there then I hope it comes off for him because he needs to start playing.

‘He has got a lot of ability but players need a certain amount of games, which he needs.’

May has made 29 appearances for Pompey since his debut in April 2015. The majority of his outings arrived after Kenny Jackett took the helm from Paul Cook.

He was on Wolves Academy’s radar when Jackett and Gallen were in charge at Molineux.

And despite May – who is out of contract at the end of the campaign – being down the pecking order at Fratton Park, he’s still held in high regard.

Gallen added: ‘Adam was one of the players we knew about when we arrived.

‘Players have come in and got ahead of him. He did play some games and played well at times.

‘Again, maybe we’ve just had better (options). Everyone likes Adam May and we all want the best for him – hopefully this one comes off.’

7. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Bristol Rovers eye move for Portsmouth defender.

Bristol Rovers are eyeing a move for 23 year old Portsmouth defender Brandon Haunstrup as reported by the Daily Mail.

The left-back is out of contract in the summer, and according to the report, Rovers are interested in taking him to the Memorial Stadium.

The twenty-three-year-old is on his way back to fitness after a knee operation and featured on the bench at the weekend as Pompey put Championship club Barnsley out of the FA Cup.

The Portsmouth academy product has made fifty-seven senior outings across all competitions for Pompey, but in truth, he’s been very much a fringe player since making his debut in 2015.

With six months left on his deal, Pompey have to weigh up whether to cash in now or risk losing the player for free in the summer.

Rovers have fallen out of the League One promotion reckoning in recent weeks after a run of seven league games without a win.

Portsmouth meanwhile have been heading in the opposite direction and currently sit eighth, just one point outside the playoffs.

8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Leon Maloney Goes Dutch - Teenager joins Dutch side Volendam.

Leon Maloney has joined Dutch side FC Volendam for an undisclosed fee.

The 18-year-old winger progressed through the Blues academy and made five appearances for the first team.

All of those games came in the EFL Trophy, with his debut made in a 2-0 win at Southend last term.

Maloney has also appeared four times in this season's run to the semi-finals, scoring in December's 2-1 victory over Northampton at Fratton Park.

Volendam compete in the Eerste Divisie – the second tier of Dutch football – and are currently sitting inside the play-off positions.

Everyone at Pompey would like to thank Leon for his contribution to the club and wish him well for the future.

9. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Released Pompey defender Joe Dandy heading to Pallo-Iirot in Finland - Pompey youngster Joe Dandy has joined Finnish second division side Pallo-Iirot.

The 18-year-old, who was let go by the Blues this month following the expiry of his third-year scholarship, will link up with former Pompey coach Scott Green at the Rauma-based side.

Green has been in charge at the Äijänsuon Stadion since October 2018 and has returned to his former employers in a bid to boost his side’s current seventh place in Kakkonen group B.

Last June, Mark Kelly told The News how the Blues had built up a rapport with Pallo-Iirot and were weighing up sending players out on loan to help youngsters’ progress.

Dandy, who can play at either centre-back or right-back, skippered the Blues’ academy last campaign and was named the Scholar of the Year at the club’s end-of-season gala dinner.

Having suffered a long-term knee injury towards the back end of last term, the Ascot-born teenager was invited back to Fratton Park in the summer to get fit.

He then penned a contract until January and had a spell on loan at Bognor.

Dandy also went on trial with National League side Aldershot last month. He’s expected to link up with his new club on Febraury 12.

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

FANTASTIC NEWS !!!!!!

Ronan Curtis with Pompey's chief operating officer Tony Brown

23 year old Ronan Curtis has signed a new three-and-a-half-year Pompey contract.

The deal ensures the Republic of Ireland international forward will remain at Fratton Park until the summer of 2023.

He is the club’s current top scorer with 13 goals this season – and 10 of those strikes have come in his past 16 appearances.

Blues boss Kenny Jackett said: “We’re all delighted that Ronan has signed a new contract and it shows the progress that we’re making.

“He’s made such a big impression in his first season-and-a-half at Pompey since arriving here from Ireland.”

Curtis joined the Blues from Derry in the summer of 2018, netting 12 times in 49 appearances in his first season on the south coast.

That form was rewarded with a call-up to the senior Ireland squad, with his debut coming in a goalless draw against Northern Ireland.

devonFRATTONiser likes this.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Petar Durin Departs Pompey - Goalkeeper leaves Fratton Park

Goalkeeper Petar Durin has left Pompey by mutual consent.

The teenage Croatian youth international arrived at Fratton Park in the summer of 2018, but did not make an appearance for the first team.

Blues boss Kenny Jackett said: “We’d like to thank Petar for his work here and we wish him all the best for the future.”

12. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Adam May Loaned To Boreham Wood - Midfielder joins National League side.

Adam May has joined National League side Boreham Wood on loan for the remainder of the season.

The 22-year-old midfielder links up with a team sitting fifth in the table and aiming to secure promotion to the EFL for the first time.

He spent the first half of the campaign at Swindon, scoring once in 13 appearances before returning to Fratton Park.

May has played 30 times for the Blues, last featuring in an FA Cup replay defeat at QPR in February 2019.

His contract expires at Fratton Park at the end of this season.

13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth hand trial to University of Notre Dame keeper Duncan Turnbull - Pompey have handed a trial to 6' 7" American goalkeeper.

The 21 year old University of Notre Dame graduate will train with the Blues today and tomorrow in a bid to earn a Fratton Park deal.

His arrival follows Luke McGee’s January move to Bradford City, and Petar Durin’s recent Pompey departure.

Pompey continue to cast their eye over Lewes youngster Taylor Seymour, who impressed during a four-week trial and will be with the club until the end of the season.

Take a look at these highlights ! I know this is American university football, but this guy has good positioning, timing and awareness:-

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Portsmouth boss Kenny Jackett eyeing Hayes & Yeading star Omar Rowe.

Portsmouth boss Kenny Jackett has a habit of signing cheap gems and is reportedly looking to snap up another bargain.
    Now it seems that Hayes & Yeading United are likely to lose winger Omar Rowe this summer – and Jackett is among those interested.

The Sun say Championship clubs Bristol City and Barnsley are keen on the 25-year-old, who has impressed for United this season – and that he could go for as little as £15,000.

Portsmouth, Bolton, Peterborough and Tranmere are also said to be interested in the former Southampton player.

London Football News understands that scouts from Pompey have watched Rowe and that the south-coast club are seriously interested.

Rowe was given his Southampton debut – against Barnsley – as an 18-year-old when Mauricio Pochettino was manager.

He was a regular for the Saints’ Under-23 side and played alongside the likes of Luke Shaw, James Ward-Prowse and Calum Chambers.

However, he failed to make the grade and had a three-year spell playing in Cyprus prior to joining United.

He has scored 13 goals in 21 games this season.

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey Complete Turnbull Signing - Blues bring in American keeper

Pompey have completed the signing of 21-year-old American goalkeeper Duncan Turnbull.

The University of Notre Dame graduate – who has recently been training with the Blues – has penned a deal until the summer of 2021, with the club holding an option for a further year.

He said: “It’s fantastic to be at such a big club with so much history. I can’t wait to see what happens.

“When you’re as big as I am at 6' 7", you just get stuck in goal and I ended up being decent at it. Most people guess I’m a keeper when they see me!

“I studied accounting (at Notre Dame) and was there for four seasons. I graduated in December, so I’ve got a good back-up plan.

“It was a great experience for me and it’s pushed me to go on and play professionally. I want to come in and push the other keepers.

“I got invited over here to train, initially just for a couple of days, and then five weeks later here we are.”

He may have flown all the way over from America, but Turnbull already has a strong connection with the Blues.

He explained: “My grandparents live in Fareham, so I’ve been able to stay with them. It’s great that they’re close by and I can see them so often.

“My grandfather is a huge fan and has had a season ticket in the North Stand for around 20 years – he’s just as excited as I am.

“I’ve been here throughout the years and watched a few games, so it’s great to be here on a permanent basis.”

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Huge congratulations to Alex Bass who has been named the PFA League One Player of the Month for February. Absolutely deserved after an incredible month of performances.

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Pompey, Reading and Bournemouth are all open to welcoming AFC Portchester starlet Patrik Hnath back for a further trial.

Patrik Hnath (on the right)

The 17-year-old has spent time with all three clubs’ academy sides in the past few months but failed to earn a deal.

The forward, who has a German father and Ecuadorian mother, had a one-month trial with Reading’s under-18s recently.

But given how late it was in the season and the current situation amid the coronavirus crisis, they have put their interest on hold.

However, the Royals are believed to be interested in welcoming him back in pre-season – whenever that may be – while Pompey and Bournemouth are said to also be keeping a close eye on the Portchester teenager.

And his Royals manager Mick Catlin feels Hnath has all the hallmarks to make it in the professional game.

‘He did okay (at Reading),’ said the Portchester boss.

‘But they said to him at the stage of the season and especially with everything happening now, they’re not really in a position to offer him anything.

‘But they are going to look at him again in pre-season.

‘Pompey are still interested in taking him but that’s all void really because of the current situation.

18. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Ex-Portsmouth, Brighton and Southampton keeper Michael Poke returns to Fratton Park in a coaching role. The 34 year old, has joined the club's academy as a goalkeeping coach.

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Youngster set for Portsmouth release at the end of the season - Bradley Lethbridge is set to be released by Pompey at the end of the season.

It is understood the Blues have informed the forward they won't be offering him a new deal.

Lethbridge penned third-year scholarship terms at Fratton Park last summer, which was reward for a highly impressive two seasons in the academy.

He made two appearances for Kenny Jackett’s side in the earlier rounds of the Checkatrade Trophy last campaign, as well as scoring 13 times in 43 games during a fruitful loan spell at Bognor.

19 year old Lethbridge's solitary Pompey first-team appearance this term came in the 2-2 Leasing.com Trophy trip to Oxford in October where he netted his maiden goal for the club.

He again spent time at Bognor, netting seven goals in 28 outings.

However, the Gosport lad has struggled with injuries and stuttered his encouraging progress.

Consequently, he will be released when his current contract terminates.

20. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Alfie Stanley finishes as this season's #Pompey Academy top scorer with 2️⃣6️⃣ goals in 2️⃣6️⃣ games

pompeydownunder likes this.