1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The bit you missed out in all of that was the probably play behind closed doors thing. I don't want this season to be thrown away but I also don't want the season to just go out with a whimper like that either. I'm not sure how many clubs will survive the loss of all that revenue who are probably struggling now. I notice the hand out from the Premier league is now being described as "an advance" which to me is not a hand out at all. The trouble with spending future money now is it isn't there when you need it in the future. Lets face it clubs work from week to week as it is.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Better the season finishes behind closed doors than that it's annulled but you are right about finances. They are bad enough at the best of times and it's a good job we have the owner we have rather than some cowboy who'd run the club into the ground before this even started. I can see clubs going under.........

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

May I wish you all a peaceful Easter....during a time that we have never experienced quite like this in our lives before.

I also wish all that partake and follow this website a safe time ahead and the same for your families and friends.....it seems so surreal and bizarre the times we are going through.......it takes my thoughts back to what I've read about medieval times and the plagues... such as the black death etc.....no NHS or mass media to know exactly what was happening worldwide in those times.....maybe they were the lucky ones.....at least we're not putting our dead outside each morning to be carted away for mass burial.

This should be the time that we get nervous over football not our safety.....only two or three games to finish the season at Easter.....but we have nine games still and we're not sure if or when or even if they will be played....time will tell.

Yesterday (Saturday) was literally a summers day and it is still only the second week of April....so tempting for people to go out and enjoy.....78 F...midday here and even with the greenhouse open the temperature reached 113 F in there.....so fortunate for those with gardens to enjoy....but a difficult time for those in flats and bed-sits etc.... locked down by the restrictions placed on us all by our government to overcome this Covid-19 pandemic.

Let us all look forward to when Argyle will be playing again....win or lose....promotion or not.....lets all stay safe until those times return.

PS...No chocolate Easter Eggs been bought this year....they'll be pretty cheap in the shops when we all get a chance to buy them....living on the fringes of London which has the worse numbers of cases and deaths.....we are staying put in doors....with our son and daughter living close we have them to thank for keeping us supplied with food etc.....at 81 and 77 it isn't worth risking going out.....and they won't let us anyrate.

Please all stay at home if you can and stay safe......good luck everyone.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Hello anyone out there.....no posting on here except by myself for awhile.......please tell me I'm not the only one left standing.....I thought I was the one that lived in the most dangerous area.....I hope you haven't all been breaking the rules and been away for the weekend ?

5. notDistantGreen

You are not alone but without football we are struck (largely) dumb......

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We haven't lost for over a month......on a good run at the moment......<doh>.

7. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm here but only just. To be fair there is only so many things you can talk about the virus and there isn't much else on the news is there. Just be grateful you don't live in a nursing home.

8. notDistantGreen

Well there is always Brexit of course... there was a statement yesterday from the British government that negotiations would be "intensified ". That's ludicrous given the current virus emergency.

More interestingly though is Trump's attempt to deflect criticism of his own poor handling of coronovirus onto the World Health Organisation. Having done in the WTO, he's destroying the WHO, which despite failings, does vital work in the Third World. No doubt this will go down well with Trump's redneck supporters, but it's bad for the world.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'm not sure that Trump isn't Putin's right hand man

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Talk going around that there could well be insolvency into double figures in the lower leagues.....and the possibility of when football starts again no spectators until the end of 2020 at the earliest.

11. notDistantGreen

Putin's hand is up the back of the dummy's shirt for sure.

After consultation, the body that represents European football leagues, including the EPL and the EFL, says the leagues WILL restart in most countries (Belgium being an exception). It IS likely games will be played behind closed doors, at least to start with, and individual leagues and clubs will be responsible for developing protocols to keep all those involved safe.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just under half of Premier League clubs are pushing for the season to finish by July 1st to avoid "contract chaos" even if that means there is not enough time to play all remaining games.
    The 'Daily Telegraph' understands that at least nine clubs want to raise the issue of when the season can be completed in what could be a crucial shareholders meeting with the Premier League tomorrow.

Daily Telegraph...Thursday...16th April 2020.

Money, money, money and players contracts will dominate any decisions made.....and that will control what happens down the FL pyramid.

The Government will surely be announcing at least another three weeks of lock down......and that should take us to the 11th May.....that will be cutting it fine if things kick-off then....but it will be behind closed stadium doors.....we might already be promoted....that's my bright moment of the day.....I might have to dip into my Tommy Cooper Secret Joke File book again to charge my batteries.....it's only 11pm at the moment.

13. notDistantGreen

EUFA has said that all contracts will be extended to accommodate a late end to the season... but the PFA has said no. They would, putting the players before the sport, the fans, the clubs..............

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sorry to hear that Norman (bites yer legs) Hunter has died at 76 with Covid-19......two league titles with Leeds and over 700 first team games for them.

15. notDistantGreen

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

EFL Chairman Rick Parry could only promise us that the season will be finished behind closed doors....when will it start couldn't be answered and when will it conclude obviously is comparable with how long is a bit of string ?

So no extra gate money expected beyond what clubs already have through sold season tickets for their unplayed home games.

Will all league two teams see the season to a conclusion.....will some not be able to foot the bill for away game travel expenses.

If any team capitulates before the end of the season...will their league record for the 2019/20 season be expunged......which could change league positions dramatically.....especially if you have already got 6pts from that club to be removed.

This season is far from finished......and Covid-19 could still have a further say in this season if a second wave hits us......it might never get finished.

PS....I have a vision of a defender not being allowed within two metres of a striker......will that mean scores like 20-17 becoming the norm.

17. notDistantGreen

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Sad news that a well known pilgrim has succumbed to Covd-19.....Tony Hooper known by many greens....used to post on pasoti under the username of Tony Cholwell.

We can only pass on our condolences to his wife, family and friends at such a sad time......(there is a picture on pasoti of him in better days)

We have someone on our daughter-in-laws side of the family who has been in an induced coma for the best part of three weeks....the last we heard there was encouraging signs that he might be improving....he has a wife and two sons.....it all becomes more real when you know of someone who has been touched by this terrible pandemic..... and makes you become more serious about staying at home and not taking unnecessary risks for yourself and others who you might have contact with......906 have it here in Bromley Borough and I see Plymouth have 200.

19. notDistantGreen

There was a medic of some description in our street yesterday in full protective gear, including a visor. It transpires that he was only here to treat a frail old lady nearby who managed to injure her foot by dropping a giant size bottle of bleach on it.

Still scary though although I do wonder why all that gear was needed.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

To protect him from the bleach I expect....does your skin no favours...:rolleyes:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.