1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sport Other than Football - formerly the Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursDisciple, Sep 20, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another taster for the weekend:

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If anyone needs me, I'll be watching Wrestle Kingdom

please log in to view this image

3. humanbeingincroydon

Good news everyone! From next year we'll be able to enjoy Wimbledon!

4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

I don't get the hate. Real shame he has to retire early.

5. humanbeingincroydon

For years I've had to watch his matches on mute because the crowd gets so bloody obnoxious

6. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

He ruined the Python 'Scotsman winning Wimbledon sketch'. I can't eat blancmange anymore.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Tennis isn't my thing but I NEVER thought that I'd see a male Brit win Wimbledon. He did it twice!!

Fair ****s to the bloke and it's a shame that he didn't last longer. It shows what a Rolls Royce player/athlete that Federer is. Some athletes just have incredible, superhuman longevity. Unfortunately, Murray's not made of girders.

8. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Don't get the haters either. One of the best professional sportsman this nation has ever produced, let alone tennis players. I'm devastated he's going.

Tennis is a brutally tough business at the best of times. What tennis players have to endure compared to these spoilt brat, pampered footballers is unreal.

You're out there on court on your own, week in, week out, flight after flight, hotel to hotel, trying to get deeper into tournaments to get the pay cheque to cover the cost of travel, hotels, coaches, trainers, physios, even before paying yourself. It's relentless. For lower ranked players, it's a life of debt and poverty.

If you get injured, you don't get paid and in many cases like Andy's, sponsors cancel deals, rankings drop and you have to start all over.

What he put his body through to increase his strength, stamina and agility over the last 10 years would make most people run a mile. Psychologically, tennis is a very tough game. Physically, it kills you day after day, week after week on tour.

I'm only a club player and hard courts have taken their toll on my knees and hips. Endless hours hitting has damaged elbow and shoulder tendons. God only knows what pain barriers he went through to get to the level he was at and stayed at for years.

Andy Murray has nothing but my utmost respect when it comes to what he's done in sport. He put his body on the line and now it's come to a sad, sudden end.

All the schadenfreudes revelling in his demise are frankly c***s. I have no issue saying that. I can fully appreciate the effort and sacrifices that guys has made to be the champion he is. The vitriol he receives is totally out of order.

It's highly unlikely we'll ever see the likes of a British tennis player like him in my lifetime again. I feel privileged to have been around to witness his greatness on a tennis court. So all the haters can go **** themselves.

Andy Murray is an absolute legend:

3 Grand Slam Titles
    11 Grand Slam Finals
    2 Olympic Gold Medals
    14 ATP Masters 1000 Titles
    1 Davis Cup

End of.

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

<applause>

10. Spudulike

11. "Thanks for that Brian"

I've been waiting in today for a microwave delivery. I put on BT Sport and they were showing The Big Match from 1982/3 season. They showed our away game at Birmingham. Brazil was playing up top with Steve Archibald. Hoddle in midfield...he was dog **** ****ing up everything that he touched, even taking into account his back problems. Ipswich definitely saw us coming!

He looked a stone overweight and like he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. How we made a profit on selling him to United is still a miracle. He plays up to Ossie and Maxie Miller as a 'Spur' but slags us off whenever it suits him. His loyalties are to Celtic, Ipswich and himself. Not necessarily in that order.

12. Spudulike

I think he should spend more time worrying about what he puts in his mouth, not what comes out of it!

13. humanbeingincroydon

Sort of like how Danny Murphy is held up as a pro-Spurs pundit, yet he constantly slags us off in the press to the point you have to wonder if he'll ever get over Martin Jol selling him...

14. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

<applause> perfectly put.

15. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

And don't forget he's played at the same time as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
    In other eras, he could have won a dozen Grand Slams or more

16. Spudulike

Exactly. If he was born just a decade earlier during that in between period when Lleyton Hewitt was winning slams, he would have cleaned up.

To achieve what Andy did during an era with arguably the three best players of all time is a remarkable feat.

17. Oi! No need for that....that. Brian's on your side! <laugh>

18. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

He did it by hard graft and perseverance, it's why people don't like Spurs as well.

19. Spudulike

No can’t say I agree with the Spurs comparison.

I think it’s this ingrained mentality deranged attitude this country has that we like to build people up and then knock them down again. Andy was a soft target being Scottish and with his dry humour, the hacks took everything he said out of context to destroy him.

Just shows how tough he is that he still carried this nations hopes for 15 years and won titles at the highest level, despite the negativity and constant opposition he faced.

Most people would have crumbled under such pressure, and did.

20. humanbeingincroydon