1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Sport Other than Football - formerly the Ashes Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursDisciple, Sep 20, 2017.

1. The break did him good.
    Fitting that Sam Curren got the last wicket. Been the difference between the sides pretty much.
    They'd better bloody pick the Surrey lad at the Oval.....

2. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

What a horrible human being Serena Williams is. What an inredibly likable person Naomi Osaka is.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  3. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think what she said has been said by many men before but she was punished because she’s a woman.

4. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Calling him s thief and a liar. You can't say that. The coach has admitting to coaching as well so the charge of liar was wrong.

5. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

She was punished for smashing a racket, which has been part of the rules for ten years - and she should know, given she was fined $10k for smashing her racket at Wimbledon a couple of years ago.

More than anything else, though, her claiming victimhood is complete and utter bollocks considering back in 1990 John McEnroe was disqualified from an Australian Open match for smashing several rackets and repeatedly haranguing the umpire, which sounds remarkably like the exact same thing Serena Williams was doing - and that's before taking into account more recent incidents such as Nick Kyrgios being slapped with an eight-week ban and $25k fine after throwing a temper tantrum at the Shanghai Masters a couple of years ago.

What really puts it into perspective is this Washington Post article that documents every single tantrum Serena's thrown at the US Open over the years, which I'll list here as the WP site is hidden behind so many begging walls it's obnoxious

2004 vs Jennifer Capriati: after a backhand that landed in was wrongly adjudged to have landed out by Mariana Alves, Serena devoted more time in the final set to bickering with and glaring at the umpire than focusing on the quarter final match she happened to be playing (Capriati won 2-6 6-4 6-4)

2009 vs Kim Clijsters: Serena broke her racket at the end of the first set and was hit with a penalty point, while in the second set tiebreak she stomped towards umpire Shino Tsurubuchi and yelled at him after he called a foot fault on her serve that made it a double fault, which saw her docked a point that also meant she lost the match, with Serena hit with an $82,500 fine and warned that any offence in another Grand Slam would see her banned from the US Open (Clijsters won 6-4 7-5, the match-winning point being the penalty point)

2011 vs Sam Stosur: facing a breakpoint at the start of the final's second set, Serena yelled "Come on!" while hitting a forehand as the point was in play and, crucially, Stosur was attempting to return the shot, leading to umpire Eva Asderaki awarding Stosur the point and (therefore) the break. Serena responded with a volley of insults towards the umpire, earning a code violation for verbal abuse (Stosur won 6-2 6-3)

Does anyone see a pattern with these incidents?

vimhawk likes this.
  6. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

There is sexism, but that is a smokescreen in this case. The coach admitted coaching. Smashing rackets is routinely penalized. If slandering someone for doing their job correctly isn't a code violation, what is? The question is whether rules apply to the powerful.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Where women’s tennis is concerned she is the powerful and has got away with far more than less successful players. It is similar for Djokovic and Federer.

8. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

I'm glad this is being talked about as I have been for a long walk and was going to post something when I got back anyway. Utter disgrace and suprised that people of the status of B J King are defending her. Agree with previous comment that this sexism stuff is smokescreen for her disgraceful and indefensible behaviour. Because if she is right then she is saying the umpire doesn't have the right to give her the code violations for what were actually.... code violations. As far as I'm concerned there should be some kind of red card for that last outburst too. And her true personality was probably given away when later in the rant she advised the umpire that he would never be umpiring her again.

And this being reported in the same bulletin where we hear that a real sporting great, legend and gentleman Michael Johnson, has had a mini stroke. Talk about different ends of the spectrum! I wish him all the best in his recovery.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Here's a clip of that later rant

please log in to view this image

Of all of Serena Williams' temper tantrums the one that always got me was the one at Wimbledon three or four years ago where she won a match, but her entire post-match press conference was her bitching and moaning about how much she hates playing on Court Number Two. Oh sorry, are you so important that your matches should only take place on Centre Court or, if they're busy, Court Number One? Because I don't remember Novak Djokovic running his mouth when he had to play his second round match on that court at this year's tournament.

...and right on cue there goes any hope of Serena Williams regaining a sliver of credibility ever again

10. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Well done Alistair Cook. Not a bad way to bow out.

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

12. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing when I saw that this afternoon he definitely should be banned for life he could have killed him and others

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  13. paultheplug

paultheplug Well-Known Member

Congratulations James Anderson. The most successful fast bowler ever

14. Player of the Series, Sam Curren. <applause>
    Not bad after getting dropped for no good reason.....

15. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

They have some issues to sort in terms of picking a team. Top of the order is poor now (Root apart) and they have to fit both Woakes and Curran into the team. I suspect a batsman will be sacrificed seeing as Curran, Woakes and Stokes all bat pretty well

16. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

1 New Opener
    2 New Opener
    3 Joe Root
    4 Jos Buttler
    5 Jonny Bairstow
    6 Ben Stokes
    7 Sam Curran
    8 Moeen Ali/Chris Woakes
    9 Chris Woakes/Adil Rashid
    10 Stuart Broad
    11 Jimmy Anderson

17. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Well done Surrey.
    First time in a while. Reward for putting their faith in the young players they produced.
    Yorks all but relegating Lancs too.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  18. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

I think they'll go with Jennings and Burns as openers.
    I can't see two new players being risked at the top of the order.
    Jennings has experience of the sub-continent and has scored runs there. Burns is the form county player.
    Buttler won't bat 4 because a) Root has made it clear that's his position and b) his game is not good enough in Tests yet to adapt to all conditions. At 4, you could be batting at 10-2 or 200-2. You need to be competent in all situations.
    The wickets will take spin from the start so I think Moeen and Rashid will play.

Spur of the Moment likes this.
  19. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

FFS. <doh> Just stop, you dopey ****ing Scouser.
    For those that didn't see it, this is how Price v Povetkin ended. It's not pretty:

20. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Having watched Golovkin v Alvarez II on the weekend, all I can say is that it's a good thing that football isn't scored like boxing.
    If each match had to go to a panel of judges at the end, then there'd be riots every week.