1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

James Hunt would probably have smacked one of them, and a good percentage of the population would have said he was justified.

Those were the days. :D

*nostalgic sigh*

2. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

No doubt he’d have dealt with it in his custom manner! <laugh>

One of the real characters

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  3. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Might have depended on the beauty of any woman on the doorstep. I knew a woman who was one of his trophies, willingly.

Number 1 Jasper, Big Ern and TopClass like this.
  4. push

push Active Member

New low for journalism with a German magazine publishing an article claiming to have had the first interview with Michael Schumacher since his accident. It turns out it was an AI chatbot giving the answers to the questions. What an absolutely disgusting trick to play on the family,seems like real gutter press reporting to sell their magazine.Schumacher family should sue them out of existance.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
  5. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

That’s just disgusting .

Justjazz, duggie2000 and push like this.
  6. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Just awful Gutter press indeed.

This AI **** is a worrying “advance” in technology and should be heavily, heavily regulated IMHO.

As we can see here, it can be used in awful ways.

push and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  7. Number 1 Jasper

Good !

Michael Schumacher: Seven-time F1 champion's family plan legal action after AI-generated 'interview'
    Last updated on 4 hours ago4 hours ago.From the section Formula 1

please log in to view this image

The April 15 front cover of weekly German magazine Die Aktuelle
    Michael Schumacher's family are planning legal action against a magazine which published an artificial intelligence-generated 'interview' with the former Formula 1 driver.

Schumacher, a seven-time F1 champion, suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident in December 2013 and has not been seen in public since.

Die Aktuelle ran a picture of a smiling Schumacher, 54, on the front cover of its latest edition with a headline of "Michael Schumacher, the first interview".

A strapline underneath reads "it sounded deceptively real", and it emerges in the article that the supposed quotes had been produced by AI.

The article was produced using an AI programme called charatcter.ai, which artificially generated Schumacher 'quotes' about his health and family.

"I can with the help of my team actually stand by myself and even slowly walk a few steps," read the Schumacher 'quotes'.

"My wife and my children were a blessing to me and without them I would not have managed it. Naturally they are also very sad, how it has all happened.

"They support me and are standing firmly at my side."

The family have confirmed to news agency Reuters that they are planning to pursue the matter legally.

The magazine's publishers told BBC Sport they would not be commenting on the issue.

Following his skiing accident, Schumacher was placed into an induced coma and was brought home in September 2014, with his medical condition since kept private by his family.

Schumacher won two of his F1 world drivers' titles with Benetton in 1994 and 1995, while he claimed five in a row for Ferrari from 2000 to 2004.

His seven F1 titles is a record shared jointly with Lewis Hamilton, while Schumacher achieved 91 race wins over his career, a record Hamilton surpassed in 2020.

The German originally retired from racing in 2006 but returned in 2010 before again retiring two years later.

Schumacher's son Mick used to drive for Haas in F1 and is currently a reserve driver for Mercedes.

In a 2021 Netflix documentary, Schumacher's wife Corinna said: "We live together at home. We do therapy. We do everything we can to make Michael better and to make sure he's comfortable, and to simply make him feel our family, our bond.

"We're trying to carry on as a family, the way Michael liked it and still does. And we are getting on with our lives.

"'Private is private', as he always said. It's very important to me that he can continue to enjoy his private life as much as possible. Michael always protected us, and now we are protecting Michael.

<applause><applause><applause>

Attached Files:

8. Justjazz

I believe it was Elon who suggested AI needed to be stopped, if not paused. I think it does. But the genie is already out of the bag. You see how social media is killing people. AI in the wrong hands could be devastating. In the hands of despot leaders, no telling what would happen. E.g. economic chaos, social disruption and more.

9. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Ridiculous and bloody awful. How does somebody think this is good idea. Hopefully they get taken to the cleaners.

10. SgtBhaji

Can AI create separate layers of AI? And if so what's the likelihood of us being the first link in the chain? Maybe we're all just part of an AI simulation anyway. Quite mind boggling to think about.:p

Justjazz likes this.

11. Justjazz

Yes, we might be the product of AI. But I intend to enjoy the experience for as long as possible even if that is the case.
    I watched the Indy at Long Beach, a couple of ex F1 drivers beaten by a Rookie on his third race. At least the race was allowed to continue, not even a yellow when a car was stranded in the middle of a run off at one of the corners, with marshalls taking a bit of a risk.

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

'AI' can't do anything it isn't programmed to do, it's not really AI, it's really just a super optimized search engine with a marketable name.

13. SgtBhaji

Mostly true... For now.

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

My mate teaches it at Uni, it's far away from what people think it is.

15. SgtBhaji

We're in the early days, but even so it's pretty smart. Yeah, it's learning from the information that's it's fed and there are some restrictions on things like chatgpt... But like everything, developments happen quickly.

16. Number 1 Jasper

THE EDITOR HAS BEEN SACKED .

duggie2000 and push like this.
  17. Justjazz

I spent my working life in IT, mostly at IBM. Change is continuous and not to be underestimated in its speed. That said, there are usually big moments, step changes every so often. At the moment AI is limited by man himself, my experience of programmers was they were limited by their own thinking. Very few stepped, even a little bit, out of the box. Translating imagination into reality is tough. For AI to be real, it needs multiple inputs, senses if you prefer, then a program capable of assessing those inputs and to draw conclusions or seek further inputs. It requires a program that can learn and thereby draw conclusions. So many variables, so many different outcomes/conclusions. But that doesn't exclude the possibility that we are the result of an AI experiment but we can't come close to replicating that sensibly with our own limitations. Nature (or an AI) is remarkable in what it has designed. For AI to be real it has to be able to evolve.
    P.S. Sorry, not really the right forum.

duggie2000 and ched999uk like this.
  18. moreinjuredthanowen

ChatGPT and all of these things seem to do similar things.

You can read the intent of the programmer in the answers. Chat GPT seems to try to lead out with a balanced viewpoint and be complimentary to the subject.

Its very crudely speaking googling up whats available on a topic and throwing it together. are the conclusions or merely non committal answers

19. Justjazz

But no doubt following a logical sequence, which becomes the scary bit. AI can be a disruptor, pretend to be something it is not but no doubt following a sequence it has been programmed with, which might include analysing responses to determine its next action. As a disruptor it could be very dangerous.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

this is why I don't believe the chatter about school kids asking for essays.

a good teacher will see right through it as it only has the most common responses and will be very predictable in view.