1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Fair comment.

2. Justjazz

$ vs £

El_Bando, Big Ern and TopClass like this.
  3. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Serious question then guys- Are McLaren bonkers or genius to be chasing this Piastri fella?

Could that not cause fireworks with Lando? It will be interesting to see how they pair up. I love Lando as a driving talent but I get the impression toys might come out the pram with him in time.

Or do they know something about Lewis hanging up the racing gloves in a couple of seasons that might lose them Lando to Mercedes? That way with Piastri on board, they’ve got a young starlet regardless?

The final question of course- is how is this Piastri rated up against previous crops of rookie? It’s a big ask!

4. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Herta and/or Pat O'O'ward are McLaren's aims for drivers imo.

5. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I guess it's just a case of it being impossible to have too much talent. I think you're right that Lando is currently the leading prospect to replace Hamilton, whenever that becomes necessary, and McLaren need a team leader when that happens. Might as well sign Piastri now and try to grow him into that driver, than sit tight with a driver you're unhappy with (Riccardo) and be left picking up the pieces.

I suspect McLaren are happy to upset others and risk having to pay settlements if necessary, because they know they'll receive a fee when Lando leaves.

Justjazz, Big Ern and ched999uk like this.
  6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

You still have a chance at Alpine

7. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I'm holding out for a Alpha Tauri seat... They're bound to run out of victims, erm... Drivers soon...

Justjazz, TopClass and ched999uk like this.
  8. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Seems that Ricciardo was told after Hungary on Sunday 31st that he would be replaced by Piastri and is negotiating a $$$ settlement to not drive for McL in 2023!!
    Seems a bit risky to tell him on 31st IF Piastri couldn't actually sign until 1st. Maybe he signed a contract stating that IF Alpine didn't take up the option they had he would drive for McL?
    As others have speculated and Otmar even said the other day they would be happy for Danny Ric to come back to Alpine!!! I wonder if the deal is already done!!!

El_Bando likes this.
  9. ched999uk

Just seen this:

Quite funny!

10. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2022/08/cover-story-lewis-hamilton-never-quits

Brilliant write up, if a little long. This bit really got me:

"But that is not what Hamilton did. As his friend Tom Brady, who was standing in front of his TV, watching what he calls “just the craziest of all crazy endings,” observes, “He handled it as gracefully as anyone possibly could imagine.” There would be no public venting of any kind. Instead, Hamilton walked over to the declared victor, Verstappen, shook his hand, and congratulated him. Watching this, Lucas—a man who has a fairly notable history when it comes to the subject he was about to speak of—leaned over to Hobson and said: “Heroes are bigger than champions. Lewis just earned hero status.”

Trust George Lucas to find the words to make me see the end of 2021 in a (slightly) different light.

11. Justjazz

I think we all respected the way Lewis 'accepted' it. He had his moment to himself in the car before climbing out.
    IF Merc get the car performing in the second half of the season, I can see Lewis giving Verstappen a message with his driving. Let's see. If Lewis comes back next year it will be a story told for decades. Don't get mad, get even.
    But I am loving the new talent too.

12. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

I'd so love Lewis to win 15 races next year and then walk off into the sunset. Not going to happen, I know.

duggie2000 and Justjazz like this.
  13. Justjazz

15 races or not, as long as he thwarts RBR, I am happy.

14. Big Ern

Kimi going back to yeehaa for next weeks race at Watkins Glen.

ched999uk likes this.
  15. Big Ern

He's looking more competitive than Kvyat did, though this is a road course and not an oval, could be a top 10 start for The Ice Man. Apparently the team that's running him as a 3rd car will be running 8 races with a 3rd car next season, with a view to various superstars from other series guesting.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  16. SgtBhaji

Come on Kimi!

17. SgtBhaji

Well ****

Big Ern likes this.
  18. Big Ern

yeah, it was a shame, he was holding his own pretty well and was on a pretty good fuel strategy. Hope he returns and looking forwards to seeing which drivers they get to fill that 'superstar seat next season in the 8 races they plan to run it. I could see Alonso giving it a go at some point. Stages and play-off points make it a bit gimmicky, but also generally keep the field competitive to the end.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  19. ched999uk

Seems a bit strange timings but Audi have finally announced they are entering F1 as a PU manufacturer!!!! No announcement on a team for 2026 but looks like it will be Sauber.
    I am sort of surprised they are coming in as a PU manufacturer and not just using the 'Red Bull' PU but then again developing their own allows them to own the IP not Red Bull!
    Seems like there will be too many PU suppliers and not enough teams - Maybe that could lead to a price battle as manufacturers try and sell their PU to anyone for a cut price just to reduce their overall development costs. I think there is only a cap as a max charge for PU but no lower limits!!

At this rate we need at least 1 more team on the grid just to be able to have more than 1 team having same PU!

20. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Very interesting! We will see Audi badge and Porsche badged engines but assuming both will be build by the same “VW group” project?

So Audi, as it stands, won’t have its own team? Like nothing confirming they’ll run a works team?