1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Wait... What? Why?

2. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm shocked but perhaps I shouldn't be.

Nobody can find their way into a slower team quite like Fernando can

The rest of the silly season is probably set now. Sargeant to Williams and Piastri to Alpine

3. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

That’s a poor/unproven line up for a factory team. I do wonder if Daniel could find his way back there, or if his troubles in the last couple of years would rule him out. Lando is clearly the best driver now without a factory drive, would Renault push the boat out for him? It’s a sideways step, but it’s hard to see where he’s going otherwise. In his shoes, I would go, but ensure I had an escape clause if Ferrari come along…

4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I think Lando has a 5 year deal with McLaren, so I doubt he will move.

5. Sportista

Three more years, after this season. McLaren say no break clause, but Norris hinted there might be something.

It might be unlikely, but McLaren seem keen to bring in a US driver, which would bring them money and were keen on Piastri - they are also spending a lot on drivers given their level of success. Having not jumped forward this year and so being in a bit of a holding pattern ahead of their new facilities - I can see how a deal could be made.

ched999uk likes this.
  6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Piastri confirmed at alpine. No brainer and future champ but he won't do it at Alpine but a good start

Number 1 Jasper and SgtBhaji like this.
  7. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Lando's best chance is when Lewis retires. Carlos and Charles are there to stay at Ferrari for some time. Alpine are just not quite making the grade. Would Lando fancy his chances against George, I reckon his confidence is such that he does.

8. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

5 years, must have a break clause if so. I like Riccy but can't see why they would keep him. Have to believe he is taking a pay cut to stay. Carlos is bringing the fight to Charles, can't say the same for Riccy. Carlos was better than Lando, Riccy is making Lando look superb. Maybe Riccy is just average, made to look good because of Vettel failing to drive post blown diffuser era. One season with an immature (as in driving technique) Max, saw Danny leave and he has struggled since. In truth he ran away from a scrap with Max. As I said, I like him but....

ched999uk likes this.
  9. Sportista

From a marketing perspective, I struggle to see Merc committing to two English drivers for the long term - it works now because one of them is Hamilton and you’d make an exception for him. I’m a huge Lando fan and think Merc made a mistake in picking the wrong British driver for this year. Now that ship has sailed, it seems more likely that he’ll end up at Ferrari - if they continue as they are can see a change happening there for ‘24 despite the contracts in place (not blaming the drivers, but somehow one party will want to change).

I’m coming from the perspective that Alpine are losing a lot of leadership and ability to maximise the car with Fernando walking out the door - no matter how good Piastri is, you’ll lose some of that next year and the only possible place to buy that is through Lando. For him it’s likely a step sideways from every perspective but pay and so it only makes sense if he gets an out to go to a top 3 team. If Alpine go with Piastri, they are essentially admitting they’re focussed on the next rules cycle to break through.

The other thing that is making me think, is that if Renault were planning to bring in Piastri, it would have been announced already, so they could spin this as them choosing to develop their protégé rather than continuing with Alonso. This suggests to me they are looking at other options.

I know I’m in the weeds a bit here, but it’s nice to have something to speculate about…

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    ched999uk likes this.
  10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Not good for Williams though :(

I do hope they sort themselves out .

11. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

Piastri to McLaren rumours intensifying, this could get embarrassing for Alpine.

Otmar Szafnauer responded with “Oscar and his camp are considering their options, whatever that means.” and then cited the time he took Button to court to stop him leaving BAR.

12. Sportista

That at least confirms the reason Alpine hasn’t just announced Piastri. Szafnauer also mentioned possibly taking Daniel back in that case.

13. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Sorry , been out all day . Is Piastri to Alpine not confirmed yet ?

14. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Piastri signs for Alpine for 2023

ched999uk likes this.
  15. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Although… rumours swirling now as to why Piastri hasn’t said anything. Are Alpine holding him down to contractuals here?!

We will soon know!

16. ched999uk

Didn't Otmar say something about holding Jenson to his BAR contract? Maybe it was with ref to Piastri and having first choice over him?

17. Julius Caesar

Forum Moderator

Drama, Piastri denies the announcement! Expect a court case just like Jenson in 04.

Surely this also effectively confirms that McLaren are replacing Ricciardo. No other reason for Piastri to turn this drive down.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    TopClass likes this.
  18. ched999uk

Interesting. I wonder if the contract he has signed to be reserve and test driver has an option clause for a drive in 2023 that he wasn't aware of?
    Only other thing I can think of is that it's a way of bargaining Ricciardo's salary/contract from McL?

19. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Very odd.

20. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Definitely dismisses the theory Alonso was pushed. Alpine are unprepared