1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Meanwhile ,

in Brazil.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/nelson-piquet-lewis-hamilton-court-summons/

Nelson Piquet has been summoned to Federal court in Brazil over the racial slur he used against Lewis Hamilton in a podcast interview last year.

The comments surfaced last month and immediately received widespread condemnation from the entire paddock and the wider Formula 1 community, and the Brazilian may now face significant consequences.

A combined case has been brought against him by four human rights groups, who demand legal action under the allegation of causing moral damage to black and LGBTQ+ people, with further words emerging after the initial controversy that have seen Piquet accused of homophobia as well as racism.

Should Piquet be punished, a fine of up to 10m Brazilian reals [£1.56m] could be awarded.

Hamilton, who was recently awarded honorary citizenship of Brazil, posted on social media in response to the comments emerging: “It’s more than language. These archaic mindsets need to change and have no place in our sport. I’ve been surrounded by these attitudes and targeted my whole life. There has been plenty of time to learn. Time has come for action.”

Judge Felipe Costa da Fonseca Gomes of the Distrito Federal court will hear the arguments, with Piquet set to have 15 days to plead his case to the court.

The Associated Press approached Piquet for comment, but he did not provide one.

He’ll get away with it .

Always helps when are mates with the President

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Um , not all of them no.

View attachment 236673

Not all the Men do either .[/QUOTE]
    More balanced than F1 then!!! Nice.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  3. Number 1 Jasper

Has anyone seen any news about the race being postponed because of the fires in France ?

I haven’t and hope there isn’t .

4. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Nope. Not sure if it's in the same region

5. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

The track is defended anyway by the blue and red lines that confuse the smoke from going near it

Big Ern, Justjazz and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  6. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Tell you what lads, you wouldn’t want Pirelli tyres in this heatwave would you

Be like driving on laminate flooring!!

7. Number 1 Jasper

8. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Vettel to retire at the end of the season.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/vettel-announces-retirement-from-f1-after-2022-season/10344461/

“The decision to retire has been a difficult one for me to take, and I have spent a lot of time thinking about it,” Vettel said in a statement released by Aston Martin.

“At the end of the year I want to take some more time to reflect on what I will focus on next; it is very clear to me that, being a father, I want to spend more time with my family.

“But today is not about saying goodbye. Rather, it is about saying thank you - to everyone - not least to the fans, without whose passionate support Formula 1 could not exist.”

duggie2000 and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  9. SgtBhaji

That's a bloody shame. It really is.

10. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I bet mick to replace him

11. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's been coming for a few years now, but it's still a sad moment. Great guy and his name define one of the best eras of the sport.

The changing of the guard is nearly complete now. Only Alonso and Hamilton left of the 2000s drivers and neither of them in winning cars

12. SgtBhaji

F1 needs Vettel imo. He's one of the good guys and doesn't mind being outspoken on issues in the sport. It's quite a loss.

Hopefully he stay in the sport in one capacity or another.

13. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Fully agree about his being outspoken on issues and that being a loss. Not afraid to make his point on behalf of others.
    After his appearance on 'Question Time' I would not be surprised to see him move into politics, but in Germany/EU obviously. I wish him well.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.
  14. Number 1 Jasper

I think he may become an ambassador of sorts , but I think he will take a break to be with his Family , as he has already said . Then he will take a role BUT I suspect it will be verging on political , It would be interesting to see him in charge of the FIA .

Justjazz and wrathmonk like this.
  15. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Really sorry to see him go, whilst he’s been off the boil for a while, his four title winning seasons are arguably the most impressive sequence in F1 history.

I don’t think we’ll see him back in F1, for a while at least. I think he’s got bigger fish to fry…

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Hulk back for a year. It’s not the right answer, but the need not to rock the boat with Stroll rules a lot of other options out in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  16. moreinjuredthanowen

TBH I am only shocked he has not gone sooner.

He's done his rep no good at all and suffered with ferrari politics and infighting that didn't deliver the car bar of course by dodgy means.

Like others the step down has really hurt his career and imo he should have gone then.

However........... at least he has royally spanked the owners child this season which is at least something.

Certain guys like raikkonen and him, i just didn't see why they kept on going with F1 once the premier drive was gone, theres plenty of fun to be had out there where you'd be no 1 and win things.

17. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Money, sponsorship, ego.

18. push

push Well-Known Member

I can still see him now,as he made his way to the podium at Monza after winning his first race and it was in the rain driving for Toro Rosso.He looked so happy

ched999uk and Justjazz like this.
  19. Sportista

Sportista Well-Known Member

Amazed Alonso is going to Aston - can only assume that Senior Stroll has realised that he can’t coddle Junior any more and that the team needs to come first.

20. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

By the sound of it Alonso has a multi year deal and Stroll junior has next year!
    It was only Saturday that Alonso was saying if he and the team are on the same page then it would only need a 10 min chat to stay on at Alpine. Then Monday multi year deal with Aston!!!! What's the betting it was a big pay rise!!! I think he was playing with the media, surely the Aston deal wasn't just sorted Monday morning! Alonso does seem to have matured and get on better with his team but then again his car hasn't been that bad. He still has some amazing skills and massive mental capacity to think about every angle.
    I hope Aston give him a decent car.

Justjazz likes this.