1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Ah you see the flaw in your plan it seems to me , is the fact you are talking from a moral and sensible standpoint .

Tut tut MB :emoticon-0110-tongu

El_Bando, DHCanary, Justjazz and 2 others like this.
  2. Number 1 Jasper

Merc to get their wish ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/61833829

Formula 1's governing body the FIA says it is taking steps on safety grounds to reduce the high-

speed bouncing that has affected drivers this season.

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton described the Azerbaijan Grand Prix as the "most painful" he had experienced and many of his rivals have also raised concerns.

The FIA has now issued a technical directive to teams setting out how it plans to tackle 'porpoising'.

The ninth round of the 2022 season takes place in Canada this weekend.

In a statement, the governing body said it decided to intervene following "consultation with its doctors in the interests of safety of the drivers".

It added: "In a sport where the competitors are routinely driving at speeds in excess of 300km/h, it is considered that all of a driver's concentration needs to be focused on that task and that excessive fatigue or pain experienced by a driver could have significant consequences should it result in a loss of concentration.

"In addition, the FIA has concerns in relation to the immediate physical impact on the health of the drivers, a number of whom have reported back pain following recent events."

'Porpoising' is caused by the floor of the car being sucked so close to the ground at speed that downforce is temporarily lost until the car's ride height increases, before pulling it back down again.

It is a phenomenon that has returned to F1 for the first time in 40 years this season as a result of the new car designs introduced to make the racing closer.

Initially, the FIA's measures will focus on scrutiny of the planks and skids underneath the car "both in terms of their design and the observed wear" and efforts to calculate an "acceptable level of vertical oscillations" - in other words, how much the car is allowed to bounce.

It will then hold a technical meeting with teams in order to review the data and form a plan to reduce the problem in the long term.

What have the drivers said?
    After climbing slowly from his car and rubbing his back at the end of last weekend's race in Baku, Hamilton wrote on Instagram that the aggressive bouncing feels "100 times worse" than it looks but he was "motivated to keep pushing" and already feeling better.

That came after Hamilton's team-mate George Russell said in the build-up to the race in Azerbaijan that safety was becoming a concern over the bouncing of the cars.

Ferrari's Carlos Sainz has previously questioned the long-term health impacts of the bouncing, adding: "How much toll should a driver pay for his back and his health in an F1 career with this kind of car philosophy?"

And in interview with BBC Sport earlier this week, Alfa Romeo driver Valtteri Bottas warned that 'porpoising' is "getting quite serious" and believes it could cause injuries to drivers.

He added: "[I'm] not sure how sustainable that is in the future and we start to actually see injuries of drivers just by driving the cars - that's not how it should be."

Meanwhile, McLaren's Daniel Ricciardo said the bouncing many drivers were experiencing was "not normal or comfortable".

"The position we sit in the car, we don't have much room to move so we are not prepared for the impacts," the Australian added. "If that is up to a rule change, or the way the teams are setting up the cars, I am not 100% sure. But I wouldn't like anyone to go through any unnecessary injury or pain."

However, Ricciardo's team-mate Lando Norris has previously suggested that teams suffering from the worst of the bouncing - such as Mercedes - have a range of options to reduce the issue, among them "lifting your rear ride height 20mm".

That is a view echoed by Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, who says "the easiest thing is to raise the car" but the teams most affected are reluctant to do so because of the effect it would have on performance.

"Each team has a choice," Horner added. "If it were a genuine safety concern across the grid, it should be looked at, but if it's only affecting isolated teams then that's

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  3. moreinjuredthanowen

It looks to me like a bit of a fudge. A study... not a technical directive to increase ride height.

It starts me wondering how much of Hamilton getting out of that car was fake or real. Sorry but it does. This is all sounding like if he got out the car and walked off and collapsed in the garage they'd do nothing but cos uts all "so public" suddenly they have to take action despite this going on all season.

It's fairly obvious that some cars are resisting this effect through stiffness of suspension and floor and some are not and seemingly unwilling to change whatever it is that is needed.

How long will it take to calculate the need to change ride height via measuring floors and planks.

And most importantly what happens when they do? Are we back to 2 second following issues?

Some teams seem unwilling to be uncompetitive and thing saying sorry after is OK. One team was allowed duct tape a split rear wing ffs.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. moreinjuredthanowen

BTW in theory a calculation of acceptable bouncing could tell Mercedes to increase ride height after p1 and red bull they are fine so... I kind of read the thing as double edged sword

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Tache is back

7. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

He could still drive the Williams faster than Latifi, even at his age.

ched999uk likes this.
  8. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

I was thinking this. Another comeback. Looks in better shape than 1994

SgtBhaji likes this.
  9. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Blimey... That brings back some very good memories. God I miss that man behind the wheel! Absolute legend for me!

10. SgtBhaji

And he still managed to win a race that year. :)

11. SgtBhaji

Love this reply. :)

Mr.B and El_Bando like this.
  12. SgtBhaji

These cars are big enough for him... I don't think he ever officially retired. Come on Williams... You know what to do!!!!

13. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

If he could fit in the car.

ched999uk likes this.
  14. SgtBhaji

Nothing a stick of lard and a shoehorn couldn't fix.

He looks fairly trim atm though. :)

15. Number 1 Jasper

I have had a look , I cannot find anywhere that HE states his Final retirement .

16. Number 1 Jasper

I think the problem has a bit to do with the fact that someone needs to tell him the Lard is for External use , not to eat it .

eddie_squidd and ched999uk like this.
  17. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

All you have to do is getting him sweating a bit and he’ll melt some fat and slide right in.

18. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

19. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

You do wonder if he's mainly doing it to get under opponents skin? Not that that is an excuse for racism in any way. Isn't his daughter seeing Max? Seems like 'birds of a feather flock together'! Sounds like Nelson would get on well with Max's dad!

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

He has always had a nasty streak , he may think he’s funny , and TBF sometimes he was , other times he was out of order .

the three that are mentioned in the article Senna x 2. And Mansells and wife , are the ones I remember , but I expect there are others .