1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

I believe so mate yes. Their wobble came in 2020 when the pandemic hit but I believe they are sorted at least for now.

There has to be a question mark as to whether works status is as important in the 2026 engine regs? Would it hurt being an Audi customer as opposed to the Porsche “works” Red Bull? I’m not so sure.

What I found interesting today was hearing that VW had held talks with Aston Martin.

Would be one way for Lawrence Stroll to get amongst the big boys of road car world - potentially selling at a sizeable profit or retaining a stake in what would be a behemoth F1 outfit?

Who knows.

ched999uk likes this.
  2. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Seb Vettel will be Question Time tonight which is a surprise, although maybe not in light of his outspokenness on environmental and equality issues.

3. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm hoping the Tory panelist hasn't done their homework and assumes a multi-millionaire petrolhead will be a kindred spirit...

4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Cheers, set to record. Could be interesting.

eddie_squidd likes this.
  5. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I came on here to comment about this. Listening to Seb I think he has set his sights on a political career post F1.

P.S. I thought I was the only nerd watching this programme.

6. eddie_squidd

Like many people I was only watching QT because Seb was on it! It’s not that I’m not interested in politics, I just can’t usually stand people shouting over each other which is generally most of the show.

Seb was pretty good wasn’t he? Very down to earth and articulate as you would expect. He wasn’t representing a party so didn’t have toe any sort of ideological party line like a politician is expected to. He was free to be honest and thoughtful.

7. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I was surprised how well informed and considered he was. I agree that QT, like some other shows, will always fail to be meaningful. It is 5 minutes of fame for some, attracts those who have a polarised view. The political views of the audience is known by the programme organisers, in advance.
    The politicians only state the party line . What it does show me is we don't really have a democracy in the UK. The world has changed and a system devised several hundred years ago does not serve the electorate well these days. Think it is one of the reasons I live in the Channel Islands, that and the crime.

eddie_squidd likes this.
  8. eddie_squidd

Thank god for Jim Bergerac.

Justjazz, ched999uk and Big Ern like this.
  9. eddie_squidd

Less flippantly, I agree with pretty much all of this. What makes me sad is that the government act with such impunity. They no longer try to hide what they are.

DHCanary and Justjazz like this.
  10. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

I really do love Seb. He's actually trying to do things that make a difference, more so than most of our bloody politicians, who I think go in to politics because they have no useful skills so just jump in to the political grift.

I really felt like the host hit him with that one question about him being a racing driver and his concerns over climate change and energy dependency with a little venom.. but he handles it beautifully. I am proud of the way both himself and Hamilton are tackling certain issues and willing to speak up about them. They are a credit to our sport.

What I did take from watching my first question time in a few years, is that the Tories are still as detached from the common man as ever. How they are in power is beyond me, other than the fact their opposition is about as useful as boobs on a fish.

Justjazz likes this.

11. ched999uk

And that's why they are in power! No real alternative!

Justjazz and SgtBhaji like this.
  12. eddie_squidd

Yeah, lots of twunts on social media going on about Seb being a hypocrite. It's debate nowadays. Rather than listening to the message or changing your ways it's easier to discredit the messenger.

13. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

14. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

"I refused to give up, until the 2nd lap" <laugh>
    Not sure about Danny Ricc though, sounded a bit scottish.

15. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Never even heard of him !

Very funny though

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    SgtBhaji likes this.
  16. Number 1 Jasper

From the BBC. :emoticon-0183-swear

Formula 1 is closing in on a deal for the return of a race in South Africa next year.

F1 president Stefano Domenicali flew to South Africa from Sunday's Azerbaijan Grand Prix to meet with representatives of the Kyalami circuit.

Insiders say an agreement is some weeks from completion but the target is to secure a date in 2023.

Kyalami, a fixture on the calendar in the 1970s and early 1980s, last held a South African Grand Prix in 1993.

There has been no F1 race in Africa since then, and it has been an ambition of commercial rights holders Liberty Media to secure one.

If a deal can be reached in South Africa, F1 could hold as many as 24 races next year, which would be the longest season in history.

However, that could depend on whether China is able to return the calendar as planned.

China has not hosted a grand prix since the coronavirus pandemic started, and its place on next year's calendar remains in doubt because Covid-19 continues to be a major concern in the country.

If the South African race happens, it is not clear when in the season it would be held.

But it is likely to mean the Belgian Grand Prix at historic Spa-Francorchamps would drop off the calendar.

F1 has already confirmed a new race in Las Vegas next season, likely to be held in November.

If both China and South Africa happen in 2023, Belgium is top of the list to make way.

Although Spa is regarded as one of the finest drivers' circuits in the world and holds classic status, F1 is concerned that the track's infrastructure and facilities are out of place following recent developments at other circuits.

The return of Zandvoort in the Netherlands last year was a hit, and F1 feels it can represent that region of Europe successfully without the need for Spa, the loss of which would likely upset devoted fans of the sport.

If Spa was removed from the calendar next season, it would not necessarily be the end for the event - it could become one of a number of races that rotate through the calendar from year to year.

The French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard is expected to be dropped.

And Monaco is another classic race that is under threat for next season, because of dissatisfaction at F1 with a number of aspects of the running of the event.

17. ched999uk

Spa is one of my favourite tracks, not bothered if Paul Ricard is dropped or Monaco really - while it's good to see them speeding through the narrow streets it's not really racing!

I don't remember the South African track at all really but it's another interesting country.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  18. Number 1 Jasper

Im not fussed about Paul Ricard , esp given who owns it !

I do like Monaco but I realise and understand why LOTS of fans don’t anymore .

Of course Zandvoort was a success . Do they really think we are that stupid ? No Max No race !

But. To drop SPA. is , to me , the ultimate proof that liberty media don’t care about anyone or anything apart from. :emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash:

We are going to Spa this year , meant to go last year but our trip was cancelled .

I will find it hard to believe it MIGHT be the last race there :(

19. Number 1 Jasper

Oh I agree that it is an interesting place , and my main memory of it was in 1982 when the drivers went on strike *

Why not get rid of a middle east race , or one of the American ones……..:emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash::emoticon-0164-cash:

*. 1982. What an incredible season . Driver strikes , team mate battles , one driver hitting another one , 2 drivers sadly killed and one suffered injuries that led in part to him leaving F1 , the other so I have read being insurance payouts .

And a new world champion who only won 1 race !

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  20. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Formula 1 and the FIA, sponsors etc should be nowhere near China as a racing venue ever again.

Justjazz and Number 1 Jasper like this.