1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I’m phonong Sky today , if I can cancel , I will and go to Now Tv .

2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maldonado has joined WEC. Probably with the sole purpose of taking out the opposition so the sister car can win.

EternalMSC likes this.
  3. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

4. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that each PU had different 'modes' depending on all sorts of things like fuel saving, battery recharging, more power to spool up turbo, etc
    Isn't it just the case that Merc have a finite use mode that gives it max power but it has a limited number of uses as it puts the PU under more stress. So to survive 7 races they mainly run in a detuned mode.

I can't see how Parc Ferme would make any difference to which switch activates 'party' mode. If the control electronics have a 'party mode/map' then it is just a setting on the steering wheel surely?

Saying that I do agree that the works Merc does seem to have much more power than it's customer PUs.

That said I read somewhere the other day that Renault had commented that their customers and the works team all had very similar speeds through the speed traps in AU. They commented that even with differing aero they were very close!!!!! This sort of suggests that Renault are playing fair with their customers having the same PU and modes/maps available.
    Pity Merc and their customers don't seem to be similar in the speed traps!!!

5. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I can't see a logical reason why Mercedes would hamper their customers. It's not like they're in direct competition. It's essentially negative advertising with no benefit.

The only one with a logical reason to hold back their customers is Renault, ironically.

6. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Depends on the pricing reliability clauses. They may have to provide additional units at reduced prices.

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

They do, they sell them their engines.

SgtBhaji likes this.
  8. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

So how does this compare to the McLaren scandal from 2007/2008 or whenever it was about using other teams intellectual property?

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135154/ferrari-fia-man-knows-key-details-of-cars

If the other teams can show that this guy is using his confidential knowledge of other cars for Ferrari's benefits, does that then constitute cheating, as it did with McLaren?

I think it's different from when one designer moves from one team to another, as he will have very recent knowledge of all the cars on the grid so can tell Ferrari exactly what each team are doing, anything they have requested clarification on etc etc to which Ferrari can research further.

The FIA should put into each of its employees contracts that they cannot work for an FIA registered team within 12 months of leaving the FIA. All that will happen now is the teams will walk a wheelbarrow full of cash up to the FIA HQ and ask if anyone wants to join them? Doubtless the weak FIA won't do anything about it.

9. Big Ern

It's a balls-up, but Ferrari are getting it in the neck when it was Renault who did it first. As to proving they are using confidential information, that's a bit hard to prove, unless you are in possession of 1000 pages of technical data with a team name at the top which isn't your own, that's what got McLaren fined and DSQ'd, that and RD being RD. Everyone eats the cookies on the sly, but McLaren got caught with their hands in the jar.

DHCanary and Smithers like this.
  10. cosicave

cosicave Well-Known Member

Pleased to see you've picked up on this, ASC.
    Although there are obvious historical comparisons where an FIA judgement concluded 'cheating', it's not cheating this time.

Last time, it was Ferrari which perceived itself to be at a disadvantage to its biggest rival. It should be obvious to all that the rival was cheating.
    This time it's Ferrari which has broken the 'gentleman's agreement', as well as hoodwinking others by supposedly pushing for stricter rules to prevent exactly what it has just done in lieu of Renault having recently done similar (and just before its own proposal to tighten this up is about to be ratified). It should be obvious that this is not cheating. It simply stinks.

The team is Ferrari. It is entitled to unfair advantage, which of course, isn't unfair at all. It receives extra money to write the rules as well as disregarding them whenever it suits, and everyone knows this has been the case for as long as most remember.

Yes, it stinks.

Mr.B, Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.

11. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

Oh, come on Cosi. Get off the fence. :D

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  12. Big Ern

Grid Girls back for Monaco, not really a surprise to me, if it was going to be any GP it would be the glamourous one

ched999uk likes this.
  13. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

And Sochi

14. Big Ern

McLaren 'restructuring', Boullier on the naughty step.

15. Number 1 Jasper

What have you read , I didn't see any changes for him . I read the BBC , though I may have misunderstood . Any news about J Neale ?

16. Number 1 Jasper

I honestly think if it was anyone other than RD being in charge they would have had nothing like the sanctions . It's common knowledge that Max said the fine is $100 Million . $10 Million for the team , and ( to RD ) $90 Million for you being such a c**t . Alledgedly .

ched999uk likes this.
  17. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Hamilton does least Hamilton thing ever.

DHCanary likes this.
  18. Big Ern

https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/1033/f1-considering-saturday-sprint-races-to-set-grid-report/
    I quite like that idea, as it means more racing to watch. FP3 becomes quali for a sprint race with no fuel or tyre restriction and the result of that determines the grid for Sunday. Dunno how the 3 engine rule will work with that though.
    Open scrutineering to give the fans an up close and personal look at the cars another good idea, something that's been missing a while from the GP weekends, wandering through the pits was always part and parcel of race day for me

ched999uk likes this.
  19. Number 1 Jasper

I tell you what , not that it has any bearing on anything really , but listening to Sirotkin being interviewed is a breath of fresh air imho compared to Stroll .

I was all for giving stroll a chance , and still am , but impressed with the way Sirotkin speaks .

DHCanary likes this.
  20. Number 1 Jasper

Not for me . IMHO part of the magic of F1 is the POLE POSITION .

That one off Banzai lap , simply magic on occasions .

ched999uk likes this.