1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spare Parts (F1 odds and ends)

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Masanari, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Mr.B

Mr.B Well-Known Member

I used to assume (like most people) that Ferrari are bluffing. Now I'm not so sure.

Considering how heavily the financial cards are stacked in their favour, and considering the drivers & engineers they can attract, and their merchandising income, they must be the worst serial under-achievers on the grid. (That in itself would make an interesting graphic - comparing the manufacturers on a graph of points vs potential.)

But anyway, I've distracted myself.

I was going to say...
    My new assumption is that they might well be serious, to avoid the almost certain significant damage to their brand if they have to compete on a level playing field.

They're like a glamorous 'pay driver' who only keeps his seat because of a wealthy financial benefactor giving him an unfair advantage. He's become complacent, has a sense of entitlement, and doesn't have the discipline or the desire to genuinely compete on level terms. Faced with losing the financial advantages that kept him near the front of the grid, he might decide to walk away rather than being found out.

Although I'm no fan of Ferrari, I'd prefer them to stay and compete and be successful and bring what their brand undoubtedly does bring. But only if they're doing it on a level playing field.

Otherwise, better to let them go, and have confidence that F1 would comfortably survive.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Big Ern likes this.
  2. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If the FIA/Liberty can't remove the bonus payments to Ferrari/Red Bull et al, how about they make up a new rules forming group with the teams. Only inviting teams that aren't on bonuses though. Add a bit more fair play to the mix.

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

I think Liberty have got a plan, and one that involves the possibility of some of the 'bigger' teams leaving.

It would free up more money to be handed out to other teams and new entries so invite more competition. Yes, we don't want to go back to some of the entries that turned up in the sport in the 80's and 90's who were complete no-hopers, but I think the technology required to race these days ensures that you can't just bolt a Cosworth-DFV to an update F2 car and go race in F1!

The likes of RBR and Mercedes can be replaced, Ferrari would be harder because they do actually have some proper history, but the sport would recover quick enough. Renault and Honda would be keen for the field to be opened up more, Williams, McLaren, Sauber etc are all well established names, and then the likes of FI, Haas would stand a better chance of going for wins as well.

Whilst the top two or three teams hold the rest of the field hostage, the show can only advance so much.

4. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Whilst Ferrari are the biggest gainers from the loyalty scheme, RB and McLaren also benefit and have an “unfair” monetary advantage over other teams.

The Ferrari argument must be broken down into 2 separate issues, the Tec rules which to date Merc have cried about the most and the financial structure of which we do not know RB’s and McLarens stance. The two must not be confused and there are many variable all teams are guilty of.

5. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

I see it as a two birds with one stone moment. To my knowledge the rough breakdown of "turning up" money to the teams is

Ferrari $100m
    Red Bull $75
    McLaren and Mercedes $30m
    Williams and Renault $10m

I do not agree with the payments but then I can see the business problem that Liberty can't tear up these contracts.

The teams need to be in on the rules making as it's such a technical sport, so why not try and encourage the teams to a mutual termination of financial benefits. Otherwise Liberty will have to effectively punish them to even out their advantage. If you want to be in on the rules making group then you have to forfeit your payments.

In the end only Red Bull and Ferrari would lose out as if everyone got to share these turning up payments that would be around $25m each.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I see that they ( Ferrari ) got £42.8 Million more than Merc in the Constructors Championship for finishing second <doh>

7. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

Nothing new there. I think they got the most in 2014. Despite coming 4th.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  8. Number 1 Jasper

Oh yes , I know , still not right IMHO though .

9. BrightLampShade

Forum Moderator

It could be a whole new topic. Are Ferrari the biggest underachievers in F1? Given their massive financial and questionable technical advantages

10. Number 1 Jasper

Interesting !

11. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Rosberg has broken the drivers championship trophy...

12. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

13. happyal

happyal Active Member

El_Bando likes this.
  14. Smithers

Forum Moderator

To be honest I didn’t comment on LH comments about Nico the other week, because I viewed it as a bitter, spiteful and unnecessary remarks to make. This article makes some valid points, especially the love for his new No2 - until he challenges of course.

I made the point somewhere else that Vettel would have been champion this year if Nico was still st Merc.

15. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Possibily...since Merc may have split more points, but he may have also denied Vettel points too.

16. Smithers

Forum Moderator

Yes, ifs and buts I know. I just think Lewis has been able to drive a very safe championship (and well deserved) in the end, and that wouldn't have happened with Nico in the other car. I wasn't having a dig at Lewis - he's obviously a far more complete driver on his day than Nico.

17. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I agree with you, much like how Prost won in'86.

18. El_Bando

Forum Moderator

So Alonso confirmed doing Le Mans next year.

Maybe most of the WEC season too as only one race clashes with F1

19. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

20. El_Bando

Forum Moderator