1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Southampton Women’s Team

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Jack50, Aug 4, 2021.

1. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

2. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Wonder if you'll still have as much interest in women's football when Southampton win the league, enter the play-off, lose and then have all their best players picked off by WSL/championship clubs, all the while being the only league winner in the six league national league system to NOT gain promotion.

3. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Champions should clearly be promoted
    However, we’ll be playing Wolves who seem to be on a dodgy run at present so could easily be them in the position you describe

The teams should campaign for two promotion spots which will become more justifiable as standards rise

4. SaintLapras

Just one of the many ways women's football is a joke. Not like any of the playoffs have been horrendously one sided so both teams would be equally competitive in the division above.

Also, you forget you're a Hampshire team and Hampshire teams don't do playoffs. Which is upsetting because I don't think Farnborough are going to win their league. Though coincidentally Farnborough are the only Hampshire team I have ever known to get promoted through the play offs since around 2005ish, about three or four years ago.

5. SAINTOSPREY

please log in to view this image

Keynsham Town v Southampton Final score 1 - 9.

6. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

We let them get one? Poor show :emoticon-0102-bigsm

7. Gregm1988

Should we get to the play off does anyone know where it would be held? Or if it is two legged ?

8. SaintLapras

Two legged would be too sensible for the useless FA. It's in Stockport apparently, a nice central location easy to access by both the northern and southern division winners

9. Gregm1988

It is already ridiculous that it has to be a playoff anyway . Some of these teams are clearly miles apart and keeping them in a lower division artificially seems stupid. And I mean that regardless of who wins . There is a massive gulf

10. SAINTOSPREY

Another fine afternoon for Southampton FC's Women as Marieanne Spacey-Cale's side win 6 - 1 against Plymouth in the FA Women's Premier Division South to maintain their lead at the top of the table.

11. SaintLapras

Your manager has a great name

12. SAINTOSPREY

13. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

If I lived closer I would go to this game - we should certainly sell out the Itchen for this match and humbly follow in the steps of the Madrid/Barca derby that managed to sell out the stadium. I hope so at least

14. SaintLapras

If I lived closer I'd be tempted to, mostly to add st Mary's to my list of grounds and curiosity as to how much abuse I'd get for wearing a Portsmouth shirt at a non segregated match.

15. SAINTOSPREY

16. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I thought that the match was really compelling last night. Portsmouth were wretched in the first half and Southampton battered them but somehow only managed to go in with a 1-0 lead. If we had completed the first half 6-0, I do not think Portsmouth could have complained. They seemed incapable of keeping the ball outside of their own penalty area and their defence seemed clueless at best. It was nothing less than an onslaught but, before the goal, the closest we cam was htting the crossbar. So many chances seemed to be squandered with the last ball whilst we never seemed to allow Portsmouth to retain posession themselves. As soon as the balll arrived at the feet of a Portsmouth player, a Saint to gave arrived and quickly taken the ball back off them. I wuld guess that our possession must have been in thr high 80s%.

The second half was marked by a quick goal and Saints continued to cause Portsmouth problems until our oppoents made two changes which seemed to reverse the fortunes in the game with Portsmouth dominating the last twenty minutes. They also struck the woodwork as they grew in stature and pinned Souhthampton back. Portsmouth also hit the crossbar and created some good chances which, on another occasion, might have salavged a point.

Two things stood out for me. The first was the impressive attendance of 5145 and the second was the little ginger haired defender Milly Mott who was incredible. She seemed to win everything and her never-say-die attitude made me think of the late, great Alan Ball. All in all, this is the first time I have seen the Saints women play and they were really impressive.

17. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Embarrassing that winning the league doesn’t guarantee promotion for them, feels like the FA haven’t given up hope of creating a closed shop for the womens leagues.

Saints14 and SaintLapras like this.
  18. SaintLapras

Don't worry, knowing my luck you'll get promoted via the playoffs and Farnborough will miss out. Yay.

And the FA don't give a toss about lower league women's football, they don't care how many teams face financial difficulties or fold, they don't care what less glamorous teams have done to aid the development of women's football in the past, they don't care that many players just below the championship have to pay to play, they don't care about the vast gulf between the haves and have nots that makes men's football seem positively egalitarian... As long as Man £ity and Chelski spend ridiculous amounts of money (by women's football standards) and sign all the best players from around the world

19. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what happens next? My (very limited) understanding is that there is a North vs South fixture, (like the old Blue Square to get into the Conference) which, if Saints W win, are they not promoted to the next tier above? I understand Saints W are in the third tier, so would move up to the second tier?

20. Gregm1988

Pretty sure that is how it goes. No idea how that works with relegation. What if a northern team is relegated and a southern one promoted ? A lopsided league? Two promotions in the south and two relegations in the north? Bizarre system

Or is the tier above still regional ? Which would be more straightforward I guess