1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Tottenham 19/12/15 ko 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Tintin, Dec 17, 2015.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Just watching MOTD and I am surprised (though maybe I shouldn't be) that VVD has been criticised for the second goal. He hd to try and hold up play with Spurs out numbering us in the box. Cedric was appalling for that goal and even though Gazza was left mightily exposed, I am amazed with recent criticism of Stekkers that Gazza hasn't had a question asked of him on that one too. The ball went through his hand right next to him. Just people with agendas I suppose.

2. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Its all very well picking individuals out in each game but I think the issue is that everyone is not playing well enough and it leaves us exposed.
    We stand or fall as a team and other teams have got better this season and we have got worse.
    It all started when they returned from the international break as I think has already been mentioned.
    Ryan looks in cruise mode, great run and cross in last minute, not much before.
    Cedric keeps making defensive errors and Maya does the same.
    Victor can't tackle and is too slow - compare him to Dembele!
    Clasie would be a good acquisition if we were playing well but gets lost in a midfield of mediocrity.
    We need a striker as only having Pele makes us predictable.
    We need a midfielder who can shoot - without one we are predictable.
    We need someone else who can run with the ball as well as Sadio.
    Steevo is a great team player but can't win games alone.
    We don't have enough variation on the bench.
    We still try to play like we are a top half team, but can't score and make critical defensive errors.
    We need to add something in the transfer window as this isn't a team you would pick to fight a relegation battle.

Apart from that I think we're alright.

Oh and Gazza had a decent game :emoticon-0100-smile

3. fatletiss

I do agree with you Spider-Man. On days like that it is definitely the collective.

4. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or am I misreading the rules? Kane was a MILE offside for that pass from Walker - ok, you could say he wasn't "affecting" play (though standing in front of the keeper so the keeper is unsure which way to go is, in my opinion, offside) and Cedric held back assuming the flag would go up. OK - he can be blamed for it, but there was a sequence - Bertrand was fouled in the centre circle and lost the ball which was quickly shipped out to Walker on the right - we had no cover (not sure who was to blame for that, but it certainly wasn't VVD), then when the ball came in, the flag should have gone up - he was in Gazza's line of sight.
    I despair about the officiating (again) - the assistant referee missed a number of clear offsides (on both sides - but mainly Spurs) and Kevin Friend was never going to give us anything unless the players went down theatrically, which Tadic and Mane had to do.

However, we were poor all around. Lack of confidence maybe - but we don't have a midfield. Vic isn't the player he used to be, he was outmuscled by Dembele repeatedly. Clasie started really well - I thought he was excellent for the first 20, then disappeared. Mane doesn't look interested - I worry that his agent is whispering in his ear and he's got his mind on other things. Pelle huffed and puffed, but got little support and our woeful defending for the first goal was a joke.

It's beginning to become a worry - not full meltdown yet and I think Ron could do worse than have a rethink on players - though we're short as a squad and if he brings in the young players everyone is talking about and we get hammered do you think the fans would accept that? No way .......... Come on - let's stop squabbling and stay behind them. I've just watched MOTD and there are still a lot of teams worse than us in the PL.

Le Saint likes this.
  5. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I thought Toby kept them in the game a couple of times in the first 20. The block from Mane and his positional play were excellent. What could have been, eh? <wah>

Someone said it earlier, though - we don't have someone to take the game by the scruff, ruffle up the players and get them moving. As soon as we conceded heads went down and we stopped playing. It's almost as if the players are thinking "OK we've lost this one .....". We need a leader. Sorry, Fran, I think Jose needs a rest and we need someone to drive the team forward.

Onionman and Le Saint like this.
  6. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

davecg69 said........................................ Kane was a MILE offside for that pass from Walker - ok, you could say he wasn't "affecting" play (though standing in front of the keeper so the keeper is unsure which way to go is, in my opinion, offside)

I really do not like the interpretation of this particular rule. How someone can be standing near a goalkeeper and cannot be interfering with play I do not know. A goal keeper needs to know where everyone is and keep a half an eye on all near him. Trouble is a lot of referees have never played in goal and have no idea how a goalkeepers mind has to work.
    Mind having said that.....You still have to play to the bloody Whistle!! No matter how obvious!! You can argue if necessary afterwards I guess. He should not have been in that position with out some sort of cover with him...As described very naive defending!!

7. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

As I perceived from the recent rule changes, Kane was definitely off side in the second goal scenario, I was puzzled why it hadn't been mentioned.

8. fatletiss

I certainly agree that we need to stay behind the team. I thought the crowd did that yesterday.

9. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

One of the most disturbing things is seeing team-mates arguing about who is at fault. You just know that they cannot produce their best performance whilst having a go at each other, but I suppose that's our Not606 board at present. <laugh>So, getting to the football....
    i don't subscribe to the "we sold our best players, so it inevitable" argument. The team is lacking energy and doesn't seem as fit as last season maybe? I think more competition for places would be good and I think most agreed we should've had that with the summer signings considered to bolster the depth of the squad. And would a fit J-Rod and Forster have made a difference?
    No time to panic and because RK always tells it like it is, we should be under no illusions what he feels.

10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I said at the time that Bertrand was fouled and play should have been stopped then. After that, Kane was standing offside in front of Gazza but also right in Cedric's line of sight. I assume that's why Cedric switched off and let Alli in behind him. But as others have said, whether or not a player is fouled, or another player is clearly offside you have to play to the whistle.

And Dave, you're absolutely right in your other post about the lack of leadership on the pitch. It was obvious in the Liverpool game with Jose missing but it's no better with him there to be honest. And it's not just about marshalling the offside trap or making sure people pick up the players they're marking, it's about inspiration. Last season players like Tadic and Mané were regularly doing things that made the crowd gasp in wonderment, and lifted the whole team as a result. I can't remember a single time this season, other than probably the Chelsea game, that a Southampton player did something with the ball that made me shout out in triumph. Yes, football is a team game, but as Godders says on his other thread, a truly gifted and inspirational player can lift a good team into the realms of greatness. We don't have a Lallana or a Schneiderlin any more, and the Tadic and Mané of last season seem to have been replaced with mediocrity. That's what this team is missing, someone not just to lead the team, but to inspire it.

davecg69 likes this.

11. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Tadic and mane were great against Bournemouth and Norwich

12. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Just seen the replay afraid Cedric was v much to blame for 2nd. How a man of his ability and speed can lose his man so easily?

Still feel the heart of our problem is defensive mid tho.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Fair enough, but the point is you had to think about it. It's all very few and far between, and not for sustained periods in games when it happens at all. For the first few minutes of the Liverpool game I though we were going to thrash them, but they worked us out and we had no response once they equalised. This season, we go behind, and apart from the Chelsea game, that's it. Game over. Nobody there to take the game by the scruff of the neck and turn things round, just a load of tired-looking bodies going through the motions. Yes, we can create chances, but how many goals do we actually score these days?

Osvaldorama and saintkeef like this.
  14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

For me Mane is trying to do too much at the moment, like he's showing off and saying "hey check me out, wanna bid 40 million?"

Ron needs to have a word and tell him to keep it simple.

15. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Yep, unfortunately I agree. This season watching Southampton games is becoming a chore rather than a hobby again. I can literally only think of a handful of games where we have played close to what we are capable of - Norwich, Bournemouth, United at home and Chelsea away. I asked the question a few weeks ago, but now I'm convinced the players aren't as fit this season. The tempo and spark just isn't there

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Absolutely, in yesterday's game there were several times when an early ball to the wing, or a first-time cross, would have split Tottenham's defence open, but time after time he chose to try and beat an extra man. Fair enough, if he can do it, but he doesn't seem to be able to very often these days.

Pellè's goal against Chelsea was a classic example of Mané at his best: a quick break out of our half, and before the two CB's could close him down he shifted it to Pellè in space, who had time to finish it. Simple, direct, and fast counter-attacking play, which we see very rarely these days.

17. fatletiss

Someone else needs to keep it simple too, instead of looking for the the and thirty yard pass into touch on the wing..,,

18. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Fully agree about DM. Our strength in defence last season was built on Victor and Snidders (or Reed when injured). This season we have generally only played with Victor who isn't anywhere near his best to put it politely and yesterday was embarrassed and complete dominated by Dembella. Clasie doesn't appear to be a fully fledged member of the DM club.
    For me we MUST play with two from Wanyama, Romeo or Reed to give our flakey defence additional support

19. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Fitness shouldn't be an issue injuries aside. We should be getting fitter as the season goes on. Unless they are being worked too hard in training and exhausted on match day.

I think its a mental problem as much as anything. Confidence and morale through the floor and Ron doesn't seem to be doing much to help it.

Maybe he's tried the gentle approach and now time for a kick up the arse. Then we kick arse up the arse?

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  20. fatletiss

Maybe we can give the arse a kick up the arse and tell that arse, arsne to keep away from our players. The arse.