1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Southampton vs Norwich City.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Dec 3, 2019.

1. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

True but Arrons was closest to Ings for the first. If its Zimmermann, I reckon he doesn't score. Course if its Godfrey he's a yard behind!

Bah!

2. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

I felt sorry for Amadou, he had so few options when given the ball he was forced into low-percentage passes; the result was a pass success rate of 63% compared to 95% on Sunday. The movement was so poor in that first half.

3. robbieBB

Exactly. But even if you are behind you can try to block rather than just watch .........

4. canary on the weald

canary on the weald Active Member

We were hopeless in the first half and gave ourselves a mountain to climb.even with godfery and Zimmerman together at the back we still look defensively fragile and as others have said physically outmatched at times. Unfortunately the spend no money policy is looking like it may come back to haunt us. We still have some good young players, but are woefully short on experience and are badly missing Klose. I think we MUST bite the bullet and spend on the squad in January. All is not lost, there is a long way to go yet. We can still stay up

5. Phuketcanary

Phuketcanary Well-Known Member

Actually i disagree with the sentiment of needing to spend in january, at least nothing that would be seen as premier league signings. If we go down this season its better to do so with a team on an even keel, playing for each other and no big wage disparity between them.
    If we stayed up it wouldnt suddenly offer greater security for the club and establish a foothole in the prem. We will always be scrapping it out, as we simply dont have the finances to compete with a single other team up there. Until we get a rich financer to lavishly 'grow' the club we should think of us as a admirably well run self sufficient championship club, whose desire to play good football is sometimes rewarded by a trip to the big leagues. Thats the reality and best case scenario and im totally ok with that.

6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

We should retire this crappy black away strip and use our colours or the snazzy red one.

I'm also not impressed with the stupid rainbow pride captains armband.
    Some blokes like sticking things up their bums , I'm not into that sort of thing but each to their own it has nothing to do with football and gays have all the rights the rest of us have in 2019 It seems like a year long agenda push now.

If gays lesbians trannies queers whatever want to turn up to cheer on the team then of course they are welcome , I honestly don't care what they do in the privacy of their bedrooms or want to celebrate it as being brave and special.
    Steven Fry is gay and a beloved Norwich fan and has never made a big deal about his sexuality he is judged on his character .

You go to watch sports to get away from this P.C liberal nonsense, I would be equally unimpressed if they had special black canary groups , white canary groups Jewish canaries , or catholic canary pride groups.

We leave our sexuality political or religious beliefs at the turnstiles to watch and support our teams.

Try explaining to your young kids that the rainbow flag represents bum sex , most will be scarred for life.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    premcanary and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  7. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

I'm not into virtue-signalling any more than you, but your rant is also a form of virtue-signalling - look at me, how straight I am.

8. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

It seems to me that the slow start to games is a continuation of last season. We went behind so many times last year, and were often trailing at half-time. The difference was that the opposition were not as good, especially in defence, so we were able to engineer all those fantastic come-backs.

It's not going to happen this year - the first goal is proving crucial. We have to start at a faster pace because we're not going to be allowed to work our way into games, at least not playing the way we are. These limited mid-table-ish teams are rolling over us.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. robbieBB

I don't think anything is "coming back to haunt us". The likelihood of relegation has been accepted from the moment we secured promotion, and the financial constraints within which we are operating have been spelled out time and again. Furthermore, as Farke has repeatedly said, this venture into the EPL has come at least one year, maybe two, ahead of expectation. Whatever the outcome this season, the club and squad will have benefitted enormously. Where's the ghost in all this?

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Having tasted the bright lights and PL wages, albeit the low end of the scale, the ghosts of Godfrey, Aarons, Buendia and Cantwell could well be lining up for us vs Wigan and co next season?
    Let's hope the academy are en route to churning out a replacement batch <ok>

11. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

There is no disgrace in the position we find ourselves in, a few points adrift of sides that have spent big like Everton and Villa. Considering the level of injuries we have had 11 points is what we might reasonably have expected, and after all by the end of November we have the points that Derby once amassed in a whole season. Add to this the fact that Pukki seems to be back in form all is not lost yet. I would be quite comfortable with relegation and looking forward to another promotion season..boing boing.

canary on the weald likes this.
  12. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments above that there is no shame in our position.

We have had rotten luck with injuries, but I also think our first half of the season has been a tougher set of fixtures too. The two home defeats to Watford and Aston Villa being the stand out shockers.

From here we need to:
    (1) work out how to play our competitors better (this has been a problem since Hughton - we really struggle to break down defensive counter-attacking premier league teams)
    (2) win at least 8 matches from the remaining 23 matches this season, as I think that should see us survive - ideally 9 wins

canary on the weald likes this.
  13. DUNCAN DONUTS

I'm not the one demanding that we fly a heterosexual flag and force players to wear a special armband .

I just find it forced celebration of something that most of us find irrelevant to football and most have no problem with what others want to do in their bedrooms.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  14. DUNCAN DONUTS

I stayed up to watch the game yesterday , first half we were bullied off the park and let in two goals that looked a bit soft.
    Second half we did much better but Byram panicked for 3 very good chances.

15. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

I'd like to take credit for Pukki's form returning, As soon as I transfer him out of my FPL team he starts scoring again.

16. General Melchett

I'm also not a fan of virtue signalling but they as a group of people are still persecuted and abused much like some of those others you mentioned. I say this as someone who grew up in an era when the payground insult of choice was 'you big gay', 'poof', 'fudgepacker', 'peanut pusher' etc etc

But if when seen by an impressionable youngster, the explanation they receive is that relating to 'bum sex' and in a scaring way, then a problem is perpetuated. If handled more sensitively i.e. it is to represent that as a modern society we are accepting that two people of the same sex are allowed to love each other perhaps then eventually we get to that point where not only the law is accepting but society as a whole. Do you think by being more gentle in the explanation it might make them Gay? Is that the fear here?

I think the trouble is football fans are not unilaterally known for their grey matter or tolerant attitudes, as a consequence it is a good environment to try to at least occasionally educate. I think Mosques in particular and other religious gatherings might be even more important, because those bunch who love their common man do anything but if they think their sky pixie says its dubious.

On the other hand, I think Trans is a much harder issue to reconcile. When is a man a man, a woman a woman and in any attempt to cross over what rules can or should apply? and who should pay for transition? The recent whoha over trans athletes specifically former males in Womens sport I think them competing is wrong. The potential natural advantages mean that it simply isn't fair and the playing field is squewed. Do they want a special Trans catagory? It might be the only fair way, but who wants to see it? There are plenty of women who feel uncomfortable with the idea of sharing toilets with trans women. Should they then have to have their own facilities? Again at whose cost?
    The other thing for me at a personnal level is, if I found out that I had been dating a pre or post op transexual, I would be pretty upset if they had not let it be known before so much as a kiss has been exchanged. Anything short of full disclosure from very early on and the sense of potential betrayal would surely destroy any relationship. To try to see their side, of course they want to be seen as and accepted for their new identity, will that happen very often if they make it known form the start? Afterall who in there right mind would tick the dating box on Tinder or Match to say, I'd quite like a Tranny? When they really want a woman.
    Much as they and the pc world want them to be recognised as women (Or vice versa) I'm not sure I do, could that 'woman' have a child? They want their rights to be something they're not, but what of the rights of those who will very likely see them differently?

Bah!

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  17. General Melchett

It will certainly make it harder with a potentially big rebuild, potentially add; Pukki, Lewis amd Zimmermann to that list! Can Tettey go one more season? Amadou won't stay. So we will have plenty of money from the PL and sales of those players and still have Webber and Farke. But bouncing back would be very tough indeed if as is likely several key players leave. (We might have tied them all down to long term contracts, but as has happened before, they are let go if they want to)

Bah!

18. Redruth

Redruth Well-Known Member

Why were you not playing in yellow yesterday ? looked a bit bleak to be honest. (not the game, the kit)

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  19. General Melchett

You must have missed the first half!

Bah!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  20. General Melchett

Was he ever out of form? He was just being under supplied. He continued his ecellent Finnish finishing.

Bah!